Starting issue on relatively new bike. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Starting issue on relatively new bike.

Hi all,
She is a 2016 Vstrom 650XT. Had an issue starting last year and had right handlebar starter switch replaced under warranty.

Situation at present as follows,
Turn the key, lights on, guages come alive, fuel pump spins, clearly audible click from the starter relay, and that's it, bike won't start.
It has been intermittent like this and cleaning out the clutch switch on the left handlebar had previously rectified this.

I have, cleaned and reinserted clutch switch, also when shorting the clutch switch with a paperclip the symptoms remained the same.
Starter switch is less than 1 year old and looks immaculate so should be ok.
Sidestand switch checked and is clean and moving freely.
Checked all fuses and all ok.
The starter relay appears clean and as new.
When I shorted the relay with a screwdriver the bike started beautifully which would indicate the battery is ok.
I have browsed the forum extensively but as yet cannot come up with a solution to this issue and any input at all would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 AM
$tromtrooper

First thing is clean and tighten battery terminals. Then check voltage and load test battery. If it proves ok, then I'm leaning towards a bad clutch switch or a malfunction there. Do you have aftermarket levers on the bike? If not, you might just replace the clutch switch...it's cheap enough:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #3 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the quick reply, Yes I cleaned and tightened battery terminals. I believe I'd read in another post here that if the fuel pump cycles and the relay clicks then there is no issue with the clutch switch though I'm happy to be corrected.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles n Miles View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Yes I cleaned and tightened battery terminals. I believe I'd read in another post here that if the fuel pump cycles and the relay clicks then there is no issue with the clutch switch though I'm happy to be corrected.
Oh, and no, no aftermarket levers, everything pretty much stock.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Could be a bad starter relay or connections to it.

Need to check voltage and ohms with the service manual.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-21-2019, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would rule out the starter switch, although it has been replaced. Measure the contact resistance to make sure its low.

Then check the connector (you need to determine which one it is and where its located) somewhere in front of the radiator. If not protected against the elements well they can corrode resulting in poor contact.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the replies, took apart the clutch switch and it was clean as a whistle, opened the start switch and also looks good as new. All connections to relay checked and in order. No voltage drop at the relay when pressing the start button. Can anyone tell me exactly where on the bike is this earthing point from another post? Can not find it to check and tighten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GROUND.JPG (87.0 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Ok found it, rear of engine down low just in front of the rear shock, tight space indeed, all is good there though.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Had the exact same issue with my 2012 DL650 a few years back. After going through all the troubleshooting you are currently doing. Turned out to be the starter relay, even though it was clicking when trying to start, the starter motor wasn't cranking. No problems since installing the new one.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-22-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks okidave, I've come to the conclusion that the relay is the issue so a new one ordered today and arrives Thursday, fingers crossed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode