StromTrooper banner

My assessment on the 650 for long trips

19K views 108 replies 50 participants last post by  badjuju 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got back from a 10 day, 3,625 mile trip out west on my Wee. I wanted to give my thoughts while the trip is fresh in my mind.
First, the route one takes, and the time one takes it will have a lot to do with how the bike performs. I usually leave at night from N.Louisiana to get across Texas. The reason is because I find Texas boring an the side buffeting winds are a lot less at night.

I put a 16 tooth front sprocket on which was a good move all the way around. Less rpm's and perfect Speedo reading.

The bike performed flawlessly .
The mpg was less than desirable....high of 52 , low of 32 averaged when I got back was 40.
The hp is less than desirable for any super slabbing unless you go a little slower than the traffic.
The Shinko 705's made me feel a lot better on gravel than the Battlewings that were on it.
200+ tank range is a great thing out west!

The things that is the breaking point to me is trying to pass at highway speeds and trudging against headwinds.
There were a couple of times when it lost mph going up hill (against the wind).

To be fair, the 650 is perfect for what it is. My "problem" is I came off a Super Tenere and Versys 1000. No lack of hp in either.
I got the Wee because of it's lighter weight. Glad I did as I went down in the sand this trip. The Versys is by far the fastest bike I've ever owned but it didn't fit my frame.

That said, I'll keep it for commuting, but am looking at a larger bike for my long trips.
I will be looking at the V1000 , f800gs and Super 10 . Leaning towards the f800

So, my assessment is it's fine if you don't mind the wind and 18 wheelers slowing you down a bit. When I went a little slower than the slabbing traffic, I had a more relaxed ride. But, I like being able to go around big rigs quickly!

Sorry if I rambled a bit....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a great bike for what it is. I agree on the slabbing power, you really need to twist the throttle in some scenarios. I never felt the experience of losing mph's though. Then again, I never rode through the mountains at 70-80MPH either.

The 1000 has a lot of low end torque which fixes your main complaint. I can twist the throttle at 70 in 6th and she takes right off.

However, if you're going to have two bikes, you might as well get the bike that does the long tripping best. And that just might not be a Suzi.

#3 ·
I think you've forgotten how to shift >:)

You are used to the easy torque of the litre bikes...you have to shift the Wee and run at higher RPMs.
I had no issue in the mountains with my CB500x and I'm down 20 HP and a good deal of torque but I could still maintain 75-80 mph in comfort as long as I kept the RPMs up.

6th gear is a over drive gear anyways on the 650 and with your sprocket change you've almost made 5th gear into that.

I'd certainly not buy a second bike for that reason....you just gotta exercise that shifter a bit :wink2:

I too miss the roll and go from the CBF1000 but then again it couldn't get pass a service station without taking a drink. :furious: One of the reasons I sold it.

#4 ·
I never felt a lack of hp climbing over passes in Idaho, but that's me. The F800gs does seem like a nice package for getting more thrust without adding weight, certainly worth a test ride.

#75 ·
Buy an 800GS and be prepared for lots of time wrenching, break downs and dealer visits. I've rented FS and GS BMWs in Alaska, Columbia, Costa Rica, and Argentina. Not one time did I, or anyone I was riding with not have a problem. Usually electrical, computer-related. No thank you.

I did 7,000 miles on my 2018 Wee from Seattle thru Mexico mainland and Baja, and it purred the entire time. Also, as per above (I also have a 16T front sprocket, but I'm showing 4mph faster than my GPS), just drop it down a gear or two to pass. No problem. I knocked out long days on the super slab getting down to Mexico at 85 mph all day. No problem.

#5 ·
I pretty much agree with your experience on the 650. Pushing up hills at above legal speeds into a headwind taxes it out. At least leaves little to no reserved. And it isn't about the gearing, I have run 5th and 6th gears at those speeds to see what difference it makes. Almost none.....

But I do think you are asking for what you are getting with mpg and maybe lower than normal power at speed with your luggage setup.

You would be AMAZED at how much drag those bags you are using on the sides of the bike are giving you! Not only do they stick out further than typical side cases, but they are as flat on the front as you can get. Seriously, I would see about coming up with a different gear setup. It would make a huge difference.

#6 · (Edited)
But I do think you are asking for what you are getting with mpg and maybe lower than normal power at speed with your luggage setup.

You would be AMAZED at how much drag those bags you are using on the sides of the bike are giving you! Not only do they stick out further than typical side cases, but they are as flat on the front as you can get. Seriously, I would see about coming up with a different gear setup. It would make a huge difference.
Is that why v-Tom rides with no side bags...?!? :grin2:

Good point Terry. I recall wind having a "push back" effect on my 650 with the Givi AF at speed with wind surges.

#10 ·
Bonus points for staying off the Interstates as much as possible. When touring, it's better to ride two-lane highway if you can. No need to pass trucks at 85. I guess Texas might be boring, but I'd still take back roads anyway. The 650 is fine for that. I never felt it was underpowered in most situations; I've downshifted to 4th and wacked the throttle hard. I think the bike likes it.

#11 ·
Several years ago after traveling with a group of friends into the wild of TN, NC and GA keeping up in the twisties way okay but anytime there was a straight or an incline the wee just was not cutting it. I got back for that trip and started looking for something different. Settled on an Hexhead R1200GS that is lighter, better suspended, better brakes and 40+ HP over the wee at a sacrifice of maybe 1 or 2 MPG. I get 38 to 44 depending on how spirited we are riding and even today back in the same area plop the GS into 4th and roll on/off the throttle. Passing up hill down hill on inclines or downhill are all easier. Also the bike is more planted and I can ride it faster with way more confidence.

Don't get me wrong the wee/vee are great bikes but they are not panacea. There are a lot of other bikes that will surpass them in many areas.

As for staying off interstates that isn't always an option. Sometimes you just got to get on put your head down and grind out 100's of miles. I like having the option of doing so in relative comfort.

#12 ·
Itlives how was the camping experience? At some point something I would like to do. After having both the Versys 650 & VStrom 650 at different times, I wanted to move up to a Liter for the 2 up riding aspect but couldn't pull the trigger on the Versys 1000, felt it was just more mass than I wanted so went with a 2018 VStrom 1k and love it but instead of just staying with it I got attached to the styling and features and got the 2019 650XT for commuting. Did a 4 day 1,400 mile ride of the BRP on it in July and it was great. Just a few miles on I-40 had me missing the V1K but the rest of trip it was the right choice for solo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I put many tens of thousands of miles riding my DL650's long distances at higher speeds while loaded up. My DL650's LOVE'd it!

Just rev that motor... it gets really happy when it is running over 6,000 rpm! I'm sure it will run all day long at 8 or 9,000 rpm and when it is run at high revs it takes on a really sweet nice sound and character.

Yes you can be much lazier riding the DL1000 and of course it ultimately has more power but I never felt any lack non my DL650's.

..Tom

#18 ·
As I posted I shift probably 10x less on my GS than my DL. When I do shift in technical stuff it between 3/4 and rarely. Tight stuff lock it in 3rd mix in some straights and snick up to 4th occasionally. On the DL it was 2/3/4/5 then 5/4/3/2 then next turn 2/3/4/5.

On the GS I'm way smother and in places where the DL felt like it was about to get in over its head the GS makes the same section of road fell like a casual stroll.

I'm not talking about straight slab but rather technical stuff. On sections where the DL would feel sketchy or I had to force it to go where I wanted the GS is more natural and confident and goes where you want it too.

#20 ·
It's funny how this goes. Some years ago, threads were filled with aging riders who had owned all sorts of high horsepower bikes and graduated to a Dl-650. Many testified it was their best ever bike.

Seems like the pendulum swings back and forth on the raw power question. I had a bike before and during owning my DL-650 that had near 80 pound foot of torque and 125 hp. It, too, didn't need to shift much and was definitely more refined than the Wee. For me though, I cannot say it was more "fun" to ride, just different. If I do buy a bike again one day, I'd certainly like to try something different and with perhaps more oomph than a Wee, but going fast quickly wouldn't be the highest priority.

#21 ·
Please if you are going to trumpet a bike get your facts correct

PerazziMx14 wrote
Settled on an Hexhead R1200GS that is lighter,
2018 BMW R 1200 GS specifications, pictures, reviews and rating
General information
Weight incl. oil, gas, etc: 244.0 kg (537.9 pounds)
How much does a Suzuki V Strom 650 weight
Weight 220 kg (469 lb) (wet)
https://www.suzukimotorcycles.com.au/range/road/adventure-touring/v-strom-650-abs/specifications

Sounds more like 67 lbs heavier for the BMW which makes all sorts of sense.

Now if you were talking an XR ....now that is truly superior motorcycle and one BMW that I think justifies the price,

#24 ·
Wow! You guys that run the higher rpms are something! I think I may have had my 650 up to 7,000rpms one time.
I don't run my bikes hard. I'm 63 (almost 64) and like a relaxed ride. If I wanted to wind it out I would have gotten the FZ-09. That engine just begs for the throttle!
I have found a 2012 1200GS with 10,000 miles fully failed for $12,000 ( but think he'd come down). Also a 2015 S10 with 13,000 miles for $10,500.
Both are local. The local BMW dealer is fixing to open up Suzuki dealer next door to their shop. I want to wait and see what deals they get in!
As said, I'll keep the Wee for commuting. It is a great , light bike.
I have until next year spring time before I take a trip so no hurries. I like the idea of having a Wee and Vee.
Right now is a buyers market. Ima take my time.
I did 2-lane it all the way through New Mexico and it was a relaxed day. My prob is I tend to stay far away from home too long and have to slab it home!
For the camping question- I camped 8 out of 10 days . Its what i do and the weather was awesome!. I love BLM camping ( more like, i hate to pay to camp).

Thanks for all the replies

Attachments

#30 ·
You don't need to ride the 650 with the revs pinned all the time. You can ride the bike fairly relaxed at two-lane legal speeds and above. But if needed, one or two downshifts and pegging the throttle does transform the bike and does not hurt the engine a bit. That said, I understand why some riders want more juice immediately in their throttle hand. I tend to ride conservatively and rarely did I find myself going 90 on any road. So the 650 was sufficient. BTW, If you're getting a DL1000, you might not need the 650 at all.

#26 ·
I agree completely with your assessment, having had an 07 Vee, 08 Wee, 12 Wee, and 14 Vee, and other various bikes, the six years I had the 2012 650, and no Vee in the garage always had me missing those extra CC's. If only Suzuki would have come out with a 2012 750 or 800..... ah well....
It goes beyond just the extra motor though, the 14 and newer 1K has better brakes, clutch, suspension, and just feels more planted on the freeway passing big rigs at 90 MPH, or meeting oncoming traffic on two lane roads. I don't miss the shudder and shake at all. There really is no comparison, they are both terrific bikes, built to a price point and good at what they do, but very different.

Attachments

#28 ·
I've been from Ohio out to NM/Colo/AZ on my 650, and I NEVER found it lacking in any category to be honest. Of course the 1000 or any bigger displacement bike is going to be more relaxed at higher slab speeds and have more passing or roll on grunt, that's just pure common sense. Had mine all loaded up like a pack mule, stock gearing, and yet I was very surprised at how that little engine ran all things considered. I don't have some kind of a love affair with any of the Stroms, but of course I obviously enjoy them and have overall been quite pleased with ownership experience. I've likely bought my last Strom, unless Zuk makes some much needed upgrades and or comes out with a totally new bad ass model.......don't see it happening sadly. :(

#31 ·
I'm still seeing weights up to 564 lb wet - 505 seems the dry weight which again makes more sense and whoever said the Vstrom 1,000 was the solution to wanting more torque....yeah that's worth the 40 lb difference at the curb...511 wet.

My understanding from other riders and a brief run on a demo 1150 ( the tank is too wide for my big thighs and stumpy legs ) is the handling is superb and the brakes..... lots of toys....perhaps too many.

I'm hoping manufacturers keep the toys down .....buddy was almost stranded when in Columbia....his fob failed. He managed to tape a fob to a key and got somewhere to repair.

I think simplicity and durability was a key to the KLR's 30 year run, and is a good reason for Vstrom's own success ...reliability, durability and quite reasonable value for money.....and that 650 V is a very sweet motor.

#33 ·
Nope, BMW has for many years ALWAYS advertised weight with all fluids and a FULL tank of fuel. The later Camhead, Wethead, and Shifthead are a bit heavier. Suzuki, and most of the other makes have advertised dry weight.....then when "wet" was mentioned it was with less than a full tank of fuel. Which is a big difference with fuel at 7 lbs per gallon. 1150's were big and heavy and made pver 15 years ago. Not sure why your buddy was almost stranded ( which means he wasn't stranded ) by a fob key as you can and should carry the mechanical key with you in case the fob fails. Just pointing out facts. Yes, the 650 is a sweet motor. And yes the KLR was made for 30 years or so. But it actually never sold all that well. If it had, it would have been updated and kept around. I can think of one major update on it.

#32 ·
OP, I agree with everything you said. That was my reasoning for getting the S10.

The Wee was perfectly fine around town and in spirited riding, but loaded down with luggage as you have, I found it lacking at interstate speeds.

Happy with the S10 so far for my needs.

#34 ·
Also, Itlives went up to a 16 tooth front sprocket which lowers the rpm range by about 400. I think if he had gone the other way(14T) when dropping a gear to pass it puts you around 400 rpm higher and into the powerband. The 16T might be better for cruising at 80, but the trade off is a bit more sloppy response at speed?

And I really don't care what bike you are on, if you are beating into a steady 20mph headwind it 'blows'(pun intended), and even worse on a quartering headwind.

#40 ·
Well like to like a 2007 DL650 is lighter

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 specifications, pictures, reviews and rating
General information
Dry weight: 194.0 kg (427.7 pounds)
and the wet weight of your 2012 Wee was 472 lb versus 496 for your 2007 BMW....

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r1200gs 07.htm

I'll stand with my comment but if you wanna fool yourself go right ahead >:)

#41 ·
Well like to like a 2007 DL650 is lighter

and the wet weight of your 2012 Wee was 472 lb versus 496 for your 2007 BMW....

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_r1200gs 07.htm

I'll stand with my comment but if you wanna fool yourself go right ahead >:)

2018 DL650:

Dry weight:213.0 kg (469.6 pounds)
Power/weight ratio:0.3239 HP/kg
Seat height:830 mm (32.7 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall length:2,275 mm (89.6 inches)
Overall width:839 mm (33.0 inches)
Ground clearance:170 mm (6.7 inches)
Wheelbase:1,560 mm (61.4 inches)
Fuel capacity:20.06 litres (5.30 gallons)

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_v-strom_650_2018.php

2007 R1200GS

Dry weight:199.0 kg (438.7 pounds)
Power/weight ratio:0.5126 HP/kg
Seat height:840 mm (33.1 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall length:2,210 mm (87.0 inches)
Wheelbase:1,519 mm (59.8 inches)
Fuel capacity:20.00 litres (5.28 gallons)

https://bikez.com/motorcycles/bmw_r1200gs_2007.php

You stand by your comment just like Tammy Wynette stands by her man, just don't stand by your math!

#42 ·
Every bike has it's niche. Can the 650 tour transcontinental. Sure it can. Is that it's design? I don't think so.

Ideally, there should be at least three bikes in the garage each fulfilling it's design. A long haul tour bike, a cruiser, and an all-around-highway-capable-weekend get away bike (with some off-road capability). The 650 nicely fits the latter.

To lament about a lack of power (650) for passing semi trucks on open and windy 80mph slabs of interstates is silly. Buy an FJR.

To say the GS1200 fits your power lusts and is a perfect off-road bike isn't reality either with it's heft.

And showing up on cruiser night with your Glee...well...you know.

#43 ·
Every bike has it's niche. Can the 650 tour transcontinental. Sure it can. Is that it's design? I don't think so.

Ideally, there should be at least three bikes in the garage each fulfilling it's design. A long haul tour bike, a cruiser, and an all-around-highway-capable-weekend get away bike (with some off-road capability). The 650 nicely fits the latter.
IMHO the best thing about Strom's (and most adventure bikes for that matter) is that they can do all of the above and can do them quite well. Also add commuter, gravel road rider, two wheeled pickup truck, curvy road carver and lots of other things.

Sure put three bikes in your garage if you want, but the very nature of adventure bikes is that they are made to be jack of all trades bikes, and I think the Strom is the best example of them. Great at nothing, good at most things. Fundamentally meant for riding without many limitations.

About the only thing they aren't good at is "looking pretty" (although some may argue that as well.)

..Tom

#44 ·
Not sure what you nickname it in US but in the UK your bike is classed as a Glee, the Wee is the previous version.

I get an avergage of over 60mpg when touring on mine with luggage and a pillion but our UK gallons are bigger than the US gallon so makes a slight difference.

#49 ·
The nicknam "Glee" was coined by Greywolf who very much lived in the USA. He coined it bacause the 2012+ DL650 had the motor that was basically a retuned Gladius motor.

..Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.