NEW 2004 V STrom 650 won't rev - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

NEW 2004 V STrom 650 won't rev

HI, my first posting here I think. I am a new V Stom owner, brand new 2014 left over from a dealer that went belly up, and there stock was picked up by the place I bought it from. So maybe it had some gas in it for 4 or 5 years, I don't know. Anyway, I rode it in carefully, not much over 1/2 throttle or 5,000 rpm for the first 600 miles, then up to 7,000 rpm till 1,000 miles. All was fine for this period, except for the horrendous buffeting, but that is going on another post. When I got to 1,000 I finally opened it up to see what it can do. And then the problem reared it's head. At full throttle the bike bogs and the revs DROP. If I roll back the throttle a bit the revs begin to build again. I had it out Sunday and the top speed was 68 on a slight downhill as if I gave it any more gas it bogged, that Bwuuuu sound as the revs drop. As a test, I pulled in the clutch and gave it full throttle and it stayed around 4,500 blubbering. When I rolled the throttle back down the revs instantly jumped to 7,000 or so and probably would have gone higher, but it like a switch as soon as I got the throttle down to 60 or 70%. It seems to be getting worse as the first time I tried it the bike seemed great at about 90% throttle and useless above that. Now it seems like anything over 60 or 70% causes the revs to drop. It SEEMS like a fuel issue to me but I am no expert on modern bikes. All of my other bikes are trials bikes from 1974 thru 2005 and a 2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500, which is decidedly not modern, though it does have EFI. Partially clogged injectors, fuel screen??? Any help greatly appreciated. I would take it back to the dealer but my fear is they will tell me I put bad gas in it, which of course, I did not. They charge $250 for a valve adjustment and $150 (!) for an oil change, which is incredible robbery.
Thanks,
9fingers
NVDucati likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

If it were mine, I would run some Chevron Tectron through it and if it didn't clear up, change the fuel filter.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these tings to other people and I require the same from them."
John Bernard Books The Shoootist
post #3 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

With that many miles you have run through what gas was in the bike. Draining the tank won't likely help. BUT....I would run it low and look down into it with a good flashlight to see what if anything is in the bottom. Should be shiny metal. If a lot of dark is showing, or particles of something, that is not good. I would remove the tank on that account and try to flush out the crap.

Otherwise the fuel that sat in it has probably turned to what is called varnish. The residual components of gasoline left when the lighter compounds evaporate.

What I would do, if the tank looks good, is to buy a can of Sea Foam fuel system cleaner. Yes, someone will tell us they have something that works better. Maybe so. But Sea Foam is easy to find at WalMart and auto parts stores. Proven to work. Pour the whole can in. I would take some gas out if the tank is full. You want an excessive ratio, should you go by directions, to really get to the gunk and soften/clear it up. The injectors are likely a source of the problem, and it could be the in-tank fuel pump filter is going to be clogged. The filter can be fixed with a mod known as external fuel filter mod. Run the bike easy on this mixture, you may hear some detonation or pinging. Don't allow that to continue. Roll off the throttle if you hear that. Get it up to temperature at least. The let it set overnight. Run it again for a bit. Then fill the tank with good fuel and see how it does. Won't be an instant fix, but if you can see improvement I would run about a 1/3 bottle to a tank of fuel for a few tanks. Beyond that you will be looking at tearing into the fuel system. BTW, this is NOT a warranty claim. This is on the dealer(s) for selling a bike with the fuel system compromised.
Gert and Webfors like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM
$tromtrooper

Terry covered it. My bet is on the fuel filter.

I treat all my gas with stabil and MMO if it's going to sit for longer than 2 weeks. Easy, cheap and effective insurance to fuel related issues. I have gas in my generator that has been there for 2 years. I treat it every 6 months with additional stabil, run it for 15 minutes under load, shut her down and add a little fresh gas, maybe half a quart. Starts easy, runs clean, and never an issue for 12 years now on any gas engine.

But once gas goes bad, it's a bit of a pita to fix.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #5 of 13 Old 10-04-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the replies. I did this before enough coffee, the bike is actually a 2014!!! But it is still likely some bad gas from the beginning.

I have some SeaFoam in stock for another project of mine and will give that a shot.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
9fingers
post #6 of 13 Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, dump the gas and try the best fuel you can find without ethanol. You can remove the fuel line and jump the connector at the FP relay to pump the bad gas out. AMHIK

Next would be take the FP out and clean the junk out. Or a fuel pump flow test.

Or check the air box for a rat's nest.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 10-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

UPDATE to fuel delivery problem

OK, I siphoned some fuel out and on the advice of a local shop dumped in a full bottle of Techron FI cleaner, into about 3 gallons of gas. I let it idle for 20 min or rode it around town just about every day for a week.......and it has just gotten worse. I can't run it past around 1/3 throttle at this point. I am down to around 1 or 1.5 gallons. Is there any reason to try the Sea Foam at this point?
I watched a Youtube vid on how to remove the fuel pump and clean the filter and it does not look too difficult. So, Sea Foam, or remove the pump and clean the filter or just replace the entire pump?
My Royal Enfield guru wants me to just spend $70 and put in a new pump in case it has fuel pressure issues but since it has gotten progressively worse I think the filter is likely the culprit. While I have the tank off do I also look at the injectors? I know NOTHING about injectors but there is probably a Youtube vid on them too. Thanks in advance for the advice.
9fingers
post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9fingers View Post
OK, I siphoned some fuel out and on the advice of a local shop dumped in a full bottle of Techron FI cleaner, into about 3 gallons of gas. I let it idle for 20 min or rode it around town just about every day for a week.......and it has just gotten worse. I can't run it past around 1/3 throttle at this point. I am down to around 1 or 1.5 gallons. Is there any reason to try the Sea Foam at this point?
I watched a Youtube vid on how to remove the fuel pump and clean the filter and it does not look too difficult. So, Sea Foam, or remove the pump and clean the filter or just replace the entire pump?
My Royal Enfield guru wants me to just spend $70 and put in a new pump in case it has fuel pressure issues but since it has gotten progressively worse I think the filter is likely the culprit. While I have the tank off do I also look at the injectors? I know NOTHING about injectors but there is probably a Youtube vid on them too. Thanks in advance for the advice.
9fingers
I used Techron for years and swore by it. Then it became unavailable in Canada, so I started using Seafoam. My experience is that they do the same job for cleaning. Seafoam is also a VERY effective fuel stabilizer. I haven't used Stabil since. I felt Techron seemed to consistently give a performance boost - a freer feeling engine. Seafoam doesn't do that. So, two tools that do one thing equally effectively (cleaning) and have other different attributes.

What to do - I would do a flow test just to say I did and then pull the pump and filter. If the filter can be cleaned, I would do that. If it is just too nasty I'd do the external filter mod. Then I would do another flow test to compare with the "before" test result.

BUT, I would FIRST call Suzuki. It was a new bike and should have a warranty.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
BUT, I would FIRST call Suzuki. It was a new bike and should have a warranty.
Not a warranty issue. This has nothing to due with Suzuki making a quality product. This is a DEALER problem. The dealer didn't sell the bike and it just sat with old fuel in it. This has likely fouled the fuel filter and possibly the injectors. The DEALER should make this right, and Suzuki should never have to be involved.

Now that I have said that...there is a remote chance I have stuck my foot in my mouth. If it is a sensor failed Suzuki would warranty that. But nothing so far points to that.

A fuel flow test as mentioned above is the next step to take. IF that shows a problem and either the pump/filter assembly is replaced or the external filter mod is done restoring fuel flow but the bike still isn't just right ( much better I am sure ) then keeping some seafoam or Techron in the tank might/should help over the next few tanks. If not, then I suspect the injectors need cleaning.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Was it sold with a new bike warranty?

Most likely the Techron loosened up some gunk and now its gone further downstream in the fuel system.

I'd work through the dealer 1st.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode