Need Some Help Troubleshooting Oxford Heaterz - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Need Some Help Troubleshooting Oxford Heaterz

My grip heaters worked one day and not the next. Oxford Heaterz with the 5 position controller and auto off feature.
The heaters have power - but when I turn them on they go into power save mode after about 5 seconds. I’ve checked the battery connections and the voltage at my battery is a steady 12.6 volts both running and off. They are about 3 years old.
No issues starting or with dim lights etc. No other electric devices installed.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

12.6 with the motor running is to low for your grips and to low for your bike.

Looks like you have a charging problem, most likely the stator.
Gert and V-Harry like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That was my thought too... but was kind of in denial.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just spent some time with a different multimeter (the other very one is old and very cheap) plugged in to the battery tender pigtail and was getting 12.6 v with the ignition off and a steady 14.6 from idle up to 4500 rpm. I checked again with the ignition off and was at 13.3 but was watching it fall off by .01v every 5 seconds or so. My thought now is that I should replace the battery...
Byronw likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nope... battery shop says she’s good as gold.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Look around the where the controller is attached at the handlebar ...mine wore through some insulation and would short. Bit of electrical tape and all good.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold • 10 Wee ABS sold • 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold •
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #7 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Checked that before my first post... I also found a YouTube video about water in the controller but mine is sealed so tight I’d have to open it with a saw and hammer to check.
I’ll have to follow the wiring under the fairing and see where it goes. It’s definitely not hooked to the battery terminals.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 05:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

What is the voltage per side to the heated grips? The heated grip controller will vary the voltage. Both leads to the heated grip should read the same voltage output. You don't have to have the grips connected to test this voltage, to read voltage drop the heated grips have to be connected.
Often the leads are long enough to allow the plugs / connectors to be interchanged with each other, to test if the fault is at a particular heated grip. There have been heated grip controller failures reported as well. If there is 12V going into the controller, there should be an output voltage on each heated grip lead.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 05:28 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Checked that before my first post... I also found a YouTube video about water in the controller but mine is sealed so tight I’d have to open it with a saw and hammer to check.
I’ll have to follow the wiring under the fairing and see where it goes. It’s definitely not hooked to the battery terminals.
Trying to recall the situation ...went without the heat for a while and the it got chilly - was at the point of opening that sealed controller when I noticed the wear....my memory sucks - but something about very hidden damage caused by rubbing against the clutch cable.

Good luck.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold • 10 Wee ABS sold • 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold •
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #10 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevD View Post
I'm going to assume that you are not the original owner - or - the dealer installed the grips. Your grips may be plugged into the OEM aux plug (near the radiator). I don't recall the amp rating of that fuse.

IF_ that is the case, you should power it from the battery. Someone on the forum will recall better than me about the aux plug circuit having limited capacity. As you know, the Oxford grips have a shutdown system if your bike hasn't vibrated for xx minutes. It may also shut down when presented with high resistance.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]

Last edited by NVDucati; 09-17-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode