Hard tires? I was told my tires are "too hard". - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hard tires? I was told my tires are "too hard".

Alrighty then, you all have been A FONT Of knowledge and help. Can't wait to see what you say about this.

I have a 2013. It still has the original tires on it. BIke only has 1,400 miles on it, was kept inside, no sun damage etc. But, I was told that my tires are too hard and since it's been 6 yrs, I should replace them even though the tread is good etc.

What say youuuuuuuuuu? Sorry if I've already asked this. It's all starting to blurrrrrrrr together!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It's true that as tyres age rather than wear out the rubber becomes harder - and therefore less grippy on the road. That could be a problem during an emergency braking situation, or during spirited riding.

You should also very carefully check both tyres for any signs of cracking between the tread blocks, or on the sidewalls.

If you were considering a big trip I would replace them, purely as a preventative safety measure.
Big B, notacop, Webfors and 4 others like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #3 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry, I'm going to go against what the majority on this site will say and tell you what I would do...run em tell they're bald. That's if they are as you say, no dry rot, cracking, cupping and still run true and smooth. Especially if you are only a fair weather rider.

Now, if cash isn't an issue then replace them and everyone here will sleep better knowing you are on fresh rubber.

post #4 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would follow their advice.

I once fitted a 4 year old tire, it was brand new, never been on a bike or out of storage.

It was a rear & could easily spin it up, power slide and lock the wheel on braking.

It was more like plastic than rubber.

I thought if I put some miles on it things would get better, it did not.

I know there is a recommended age for car tires and I would think the same would apply to bikes but I also think bike tires are more important.

You could be putting your life at risk for the price of 2 tires.

I test all my tires for stopping distance, how fast can I get the bike to stop, you could try that with the old tires, then again with the new if you get them, I'm betting there is a huge difference.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Depends on the tyres. They may be fine as age doesn't always damage at a specific time frame.
If they feel real hard (try pushing your finger nail into them) and slippery then replace them or if there is any signs of cracking then replace them. A lot cheaper then replacing panels and parts off the bike if they are perished. As others have said, try the grip tests on them, hard braking etc and if the slip like ice, toss them in the bin. Your call, but if there is any doubt about them it wouldn't be worth the worry.
She-Strom likes this.
post #6 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

i got a set of NOS, new old stock tires, for my sidecar rig. I pissed away a couple of them in a single weekend.
Old rubber isn't your friend.
She-Strom likes this.
post #7 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
Sorry, I'm going to go against what the majority on this site will say and tell you what I would do...run em tell they're bald. That's if they are as you say, no dry rot, cracking, cupping and still run true and smooth. Especially if you are only a fair weather rider.

Now, if cash isn't an issue then replace them and everyone here will sleep better knowing you are on fresh rubber.
Me too. I would be careful in rain though.....but I avoid rain anyway.
a572mike and She-Strom like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #8 of 83 Old 09-05-2019, 11:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

i would change the front as soon as i can but keep the rear until the end.it will die much sooner than its intended mileage anyway.
She-Strom likes this.
post #9 of 83 Old 09-06-2019, 12:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Your bike is 6 years old yes but your tires may be older. Look on the side, there is a spot on every tire that has the date code. Four numbers. (4812) would mean the 48th week of 2012. (0213) is the second week of 2013. It is not just sun that ages rubber. Ozone is worse than the sun.
NVDucati, RLBranson and She-Strom like this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #10 of 83 Old 09-06-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

You guys are like the "SMART SIDE" of my brain. I thought I should swap them out for new. I can feel it in the corners. It doesn't feel like the bike "has me". Just ordered new ones and THANK YOU For all the info and advice/

I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in