Hard tires? I was told my tires are "too hard". - Page 6 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 83 Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Here is my 2 cents. I am a tightwad when it comes to tires on anything... I use them up... All of them. Now with this said I am VERY cautious on my VStrom but I ride them all the way down and the last two rear tires ran them to the belts...
I live in Texas and out chip-seal asphalt roads when over 100 degrees KILLS TIRES. Winter is when I put in my new tires. I ride most of winter and this is when I can't afford slippage.
Back to summer, if I were you I would inspect with a flashlight and really stress the tire for visible cracks. Then if it passes that test. Move on to a ride, do a high speed emergency stop, do some u-turns in parking lots and power take off.. if the tires slip, we'll go do some BURNOUTS and have some teenager fun in a parking lot or your driveway.. safety is our number one concern over saving a buck.
I buy two rear tires a year most of the time and I run Shinko because of price and YES I've tried several other TOP name brands and they all wear out in Texas heat so I buy clearance tires and so thankful VStrom uses common sizes. Heck my latest fire I just bought last month was a Shinko 712r for 72.00... deal deal deal.
So point is inspect and use em up if they pass your inspection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15682184738738124800134070640365_1568218491928.jpg (229.7 KB, 3 views)
She-Strom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 83 Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

old tires are good for burnouts, don't take long to get rid of the tread

stop before you explode the tire and flail the steel belts into your tail (I learned by observation, not doing)

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #53 of 83 Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 PM
shu
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTexasDude View Post
Now with this said I am VERY cautious on my VStrom but I ride them all the way down and the last two rear tires ran them to the belts...
???? Cautious = running on tires with the belt exposed????

I saw a tire with metal threads exposed recently. It was sitting in the local shop waiting to be replaced.

I asked the shop owner, who sells a lot of tires, if he would ever ride on a tire like that. His reply: I wouldn't ride that one from the parking lot into the shop.

................shu

post #54 of 83 Old 09-11-2019, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Regarding the opinion that Trail Wings should be replaced just because they "are"- Is there some evidence to show they are somehow dangerous tires and are hazardous to the rider, or is this just bullshizzle? My 2017 came with them and I've felt completely safe riding in the twisties of southeastern Ohio, albeit on pavement. They are wearing evenly and roll out smoothly, and I've only had a couple of noticeable traction control incidents, which were in turns with some debris on the road. They do fine in the rain, and appear to hold air. The only real negative I've found in forums was that they don't track well on gravel roads. I don't do much of that. Send me all of your new discards, I'll use them. Unless, of course, they are truly unsafe at any speed. Best, DD
post #55 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I remember posting a photo in some thread here of a friend of a friend in Hungary who rode his old Gold Wing from the Croatian coast to central Hungary at average speeds of 135 kph with a palm-sized chunk of rubber completely missing, down to the cords! A huge delamination. I saw the tire in person, it was crazy. Just to say, some people will take crazy chances.

Correction. The photo was of the tire, not the friend.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by John V Strom, Jr.; 09-12-2019 at 01:04 AM.
post #56 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

As it was pointed out to me via PM unless you do not work directly in the tire industry no matter your personal experience, your thoughts, opinions and even real world experiences are merely anecdotal and are not be taken into consideration when evaluating used tires or new tires that have been in storage.

So I'll re-ask the OP's question to only the certified tireolgists; Is a 6 year old tire safe to continue to keep in service?
Dubldee17 likes this.
post #57 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
As it was pointed out to me via PM unless you do not work directly in the tire industry no matter your personal experience, your thoughts, opinions and even real world experiences are merely anecdotal and are not be taken into consideration when evaluating used tires or new tires that have been in storage.

So I'll re-ask the OP's question to only the certified tireolgists; Is a 6 year old tire safe to continue to keep in service?

There is no definitive answer for that question. Can it be ridden if it good shape I'm sure you can ride it, is it safe and that fine sir is the real question is completely unknown per each situation. Is a 6yr tire as grippy or as malleable or is it too malleable? Is your life worth the risk is your health worth $300 set of tires. That's for each and everyone to ask themselves. Manufactures won't stand by it at that age so why should I?
Big B likes this.

Last edited by madscrapper85; 09-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
post #58 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Something to consider:

If the tire was designed as a "sport" tire with soft/sticky tread rubber compounds, the aging/hardening process will not affect it as severely for 'regular' styles of riding. Whereas the 'high mileage' harder tire compounds will increase in hardness beyond safe riding standards over the same time period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 cents worth.jpg (15.0 KB, 1 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #59 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscrapper85 View Post
There is no definitive answer for that question. Can it be ridden if it good shape I'm sure you can ride it, is it safe and that fine sir is the real question is completely unknown per each situation. Is a 6yr tire as grippy or as malleable or is it too malleable? Is your life worth the risk is your health worth $300 set of tires. That's for each and everyone to ask themselves. Manufactures won't stand by it at that age so why should I?
Unless there is a privacy agreement or some trade protected information would it be possible to list the tire manufacturer you work for and what type tires you produce?
post #60 of 83 Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

What about oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode