Shift indicator - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By notacop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-04-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Shift indicator

My 1st gear shift indicator has always been a bit flakey. When I go from N to 1, it will indicate 2 for a few moments and then switch to 1. This morning the indicator displayed 2 when I was in 1 and stayed that way for a few miles. How does the shift indicator system work and where are the components?

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Mine does the same thing the first start up of the day. After a few shifts it is fine the rest of the day even with multiple start ups.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
The sensor assy, gear indicator is a mechanical type switch. It's easy to get to take off the front sprocket cover.

Don't know if this will link right but it's part number 39 on the gear shifting parts diagram here

Take it off and spray some electrical contact cleaner into it, wash it out good. That usually fixes the problem.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2019, 02:06 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The shift linkage is really long and flimsy on the DL so it has a hard time satisfying the gear indicator switch. Not a great shifting bike.

I replaced the OEM pivot with a shoulder bolt and it helped a little, but mine still gets confused too.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have replaced the gear switch indicator on my /12 model 3 times in 12,000 miles. Each time, it only solves the problem for a short while. I washed them out with brake cleaner, but that had little effect, and only for a short while. The last time I washed it out, I used carb cleaner - this helped immensely, and it lasted all summer - but it is just now starting to act up again. To me, the malfunctioning seems to have something to do with oil levels, oil type, oil weight, and oil contamination. The unit usually acts up when cold, and starts to behave better once things are thoroughly warmed up. Unfortunately, most of my commutes are short.
No long term solution has been found.
I even took one completely apart. It was unusable afterward, but I do know what is inside. There is nothing in there that you would not expect - a few contacts, and a spring loaded wiper. It is just susceptible to contamination and wear.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Interesting that 1st gear indication is a necessity. The 1st generation bikes don't have that feature and sometimes I forget to shift into 6th for some period of time.
Apparently there are add on items that are plug and play for the older generation bikes. It might be a novelty to watch it fail and then wonder what gear I'm in.
Only time it really matters to me is when I make a quick stop coming up through a row of cars and try to start up in 4th or 5th when the light turns green. So embarrassing!
Gert likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

FYI - If your gear indicator remains blank for a few minutes while you are riding, this will result in the red FI light coming on, until the ignition is shut off, and turned on again. As far as I can tell, when this happens, this results in no engine performance issues. The bike seems to run fine with the red FI light on - until I can get somewhere to safely shut the bike off, and re-start it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode