Worn wheel bearing hub question (rear) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By Borghi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Worn wheel bearing hub question (rear)

While doing chain maintenance I noticed my rear wheel had play in it. I have a 2014 with about 32,000 miles which I purchased new. I disassembled the rear wheel and while inspecting rotor side bearing it seemed "loose" in the hub. I thought this was strange, but I decided to replace all three bearings since the rotor side bearing had some rust and it seemed to have a few very minor rough spots while turning. I removed the rotor side bearing and could feel a "ridge" in the hub. The portion where the bearing seats seemed to be slightly larger than the opening where the grease seal goes in. Not knowing what to make of this, I went ahead and installed all three new bearings. The rotor side hub bearing went in hard at the beginning, but then was somewhat looser when fully installed. I don't have any specific measurements, but I do not feel comfortable with the fit of this bearing in the hub. The old bearing was not seized and spun freely when I removed it. Somehow, I believe the hub got damaged and the area where the bearing seats has become enlarged. How could this happen if the bearing was not spinning in the hub? There is no evidence that it was spinning. Is it possible that the hub was bad from the beginning and got worse? Can the hub enlarge itself if the bike is loaded heavily? I know the hub spacers have always been installed correctly. Now I'm at a point where I don't know what to do next. I guess my options are to get a new wheel, have the hub bored and sleeved if possible, or try the Henkel Loctite Retaining Compound. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone ever use the Loctite product for this issue? Which specific Loctite product is best? Hoping for some answers...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190808_181736.jpg (354.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190808_181938.jpg (458.3 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Loctite 609 green bearing retaining compound. Use with confidence and ride on!
Brockie likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Or buy 12" feeler gauges. Start with some .002" and go around the bearings as much as you can. Then locktite them in there.

Dang, wonder what caused that? Bad from the factory? Chain too tight?

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

post #4 of 5 Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am baffled as to what caused this too. The chain has never been too tight, I always lean toward loose. Spacers have always been placed properly when wheel has been removed and replaced. I'm really wondering if it could have come from the factory like this??? I don't see any evidence that the bearing was spinning in the hub. I ordered some of the Loctite 609 and will give it a try. Good idea about the .002 feelers. I haven't measured the actual gap and I'll have to evaluate the fit more exactly when I get the Loctite and pull everything apart again. Darn, I miss Graywolf. I'm sure he would have liked to figure this one out,
Cryoman likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had the same problem on an SV650. I guess there was a problem with the casting. Tried locktite, but after a few hundred miles it loosened up again. Ended up buying a used wheel from a friend who had an extra. Seems to be a rare problem, only heard of these 2 cases.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode