Skid plate options? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Avoid Givi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Th Givi guard is not for trail riding, it is a cost effective solution for the other 90% of strom owners who stay on roads (paved, and unpaved).

There is a thread around here about a skid pan that catches on the front fender at full compression of the forks. It might be the one linked above.

I f I were renting out my strom I would have a "paved roads only" clause in the contract. But, that is just me. I remember something similar with private aircraft rentals. No soft filed operation allowed unless you bring your own insurance.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
I like my Hyde racing plastic skid plate. Plastic worked well on my YZ 250X woods bike. Hugs the engine cases, lightest plate you can buy, comes with lousy hardware though.
my Kymco UXV450i (UTV) has plastic skid plates, I'm on my second set, and just peeled the center plate of last weekend.

looking for something more durable, the advantage of plastic, is it slides over contact objects better than metal, and pretty much returns to shape, metal plates are more subject to tearing and denting, but don't peel off as easy

one company makes laminate plastic/aluminum plates, but not for my model, I'm thinking of making my own, uncurling the plate I just peeled off, using it as a template, then gorilla gluing it to the metal plate I cut.

I have the stock plastic belly pan on my Vee, I don't really have a need for anything better, it'll deflect any stone I will see on gravel roads, no plans taking the heavy pig off road where I might bounce it off rocks & stumps

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019

post #14 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
WELD86

Here is an update from my previous here posted on the DL1000/650 facebook group as of 9/9/19......AMAZING customer support, please give Charlie some business!!!

Quote:
Ok update......talked to/called the owner Charlie Inman of Weld86 last Friday, apparently my email went to his spam folder. Told him the situation and what happened, and he said heíll gladly take care of it no charge. He doesnít get too many which break at that mount, but apparently all are the second generation 12-16 which break, has yet to have a first gen plate fail. He explained that in order to make the plate mount like the first gen, he had to make the through engine case mounting point a bit thinner and tapered down unlike the first gen engine. Regardless.......thatís customer service and standing by your product, new plate arrived today by second day shipping!!! Wow Iím floored by that, I never expected him to go above and beyond like this. Stand up owner and business I tell ya, canít recommend him enough.
chicago and a572mike like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom ďDoloresĒ

post #15 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

A Weld86 skid plate can be installed with a 3/4 Two-Brothers exhaust (or any other I suppose). I don't know if it's a question for anyone else, but it was for me! When installing I had to shim the right aft support quite a bit to get clearance between it and the exhaust. Also, the right forward mount has minimal clearance between it and the exhaust. I hope my tweaking doesn't cause any cracks from undue stress or vibes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w861.jpg (49.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg w862.jpg (21.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg w863.jpg (64.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-4665.jpg (380.4 KB, 6 views)
Big B and a572mike like this.

current ride
'16 DL650
previous rides:
'09 Buell Ulysses
'05 HD Dyna SuperGlide Custom
'08 Suzuki Bandit 1250ABS
'01 HD ElectraGlide Std
'90 HD ElectraGlide Sport
'80 HD WideGlide
'80 Suzuki GS850L
post #16 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Iíve had the Hyde racing skid plate as a rock and stick guard for 3 years / 40,000 miles. Light weight, quiet, durable, relatively inexpensive. Doesnít crack or corrode. I have no illusions of serious off-reading on my Strom. I just want something to protect the oil filter, and catalytic converter from damage on logging / fire roads.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
post #17 of 21 Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Ravetech plate looks like a good bang for the buck with universal fitment to many crash bar brands.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
I may be the only one that has this opinion but the front connecting pipes on crash bars are a weak and flexible point. I have had an OEM set shear the bolt off one side of the connector and that showed how fragile the span is. I can't see that point on the assembly as a great place to anchor a skid plate. Most all plates attach there so I went with the Weld 86 simply because it does not.
I sprayed the inside of the Weld with undercoat to cut down the reflected engine noise and am very happy with it.
Big B likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Got the Weld 86 also and am happy with it, think it will do its job, protect oil filter and exhaust, not sure how hard of a hit it would take, not to concerned with that because when I'm riding the wee in rough stuff I take it easy. Had to modify my plastic lower cover, could have removed it but like the looks of it so I cut some of the plastic away so the skid plate could fit,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3100.jpg (67.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3099.jpg (70.6 KB, 8 views)
Big B and a572mike like this.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I plan on rounding those plastic corners down as well, just haven't done it yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode