Trouble removing handlebar balancers for hand guard install? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Trouble removing handlebar balancers for hand guard install?

Iím attempting to install OEM Suzuki hand guards on my 14 VStrom. In accordance with the directions, I tried removing the handle bar balancers on both sides as the first step. I can turn the screws counter clockwise slowly, but thereís a tremendous amount of resistance and the screws donít seem to be backing out much, if at all. The bike is used, and the previous owner installed aftermarket hand warmers. Is it possible they could have done something to damage the internal hardware on both sides? Is it normal to have this much trouble removing the balance assemblies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhberria View Post
I’m attempting to install OEM Suzuki hand guards on my 14 VStrom. In accordance with the directions, I tried removing the handle bar balancers on both sides as the first step. I can turn the screws counter clockwise slowly, but there’s a tremendous amount of resistance and the screws don’t seem to be backing out much, if at all. The bike is used, and the previous owner installed aftermarket hand warmers. Is it possible they could have done something to damage the internal hardware on both sides? Is it normal to have this much trouble removing the balance assemblies?

Is the balancer getting loose as you turn the bolt even if the bolt isn't backing out? If so pull the balancer outward as you loosen the bolt. Maybe the bolt has Loctite on it making it harder to turn or could be stripped. Either way you got to get it loose right?

The bolt goes into a wedge inside the handlebar. Don't remove the bolt or the wedge will be left inside. Once you have some clearance between the bar and the balancer tap on the end of the bolt to drive the wedge back then pull the entire assembly out as on piece.

The hand warmers shouldn't have caused this issue unless he slopped some glue inside the bar somehow.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

Last edited by Spec; 08-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yea just loosen them. They are mounted to an expandable rubber wedge type deal (mine is 07) but then they can be worked out. Do not completely remove the bolt as mentioned above. One of mine was pretty hard to get out, I think I put a rag on it and grabbed it with some channel lock pliers and worked it out. I removed mine and installed bark busters that insert into the bar ends, so I removed my weights completely. Donít notice any additional vibration.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So I got the left side out (finally) with some serious elbow grease. The right side is giving me trouble. The screw is turning, but it feels like the rubber pieces inside the bar might be turning with the screw. I've yanked on it pretty good with channel locks, but no luck. The stabilizer is definitely loose as I've been able to separate it from the bar some.

Here's a picture of the removed left side assembly. There's definitely some corrosion, which is probably contributing to my troubles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190802_173046_1564782052809.jpg (581.5 KB, 14 views)
post #5 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe spray some soapy water in there to help it slide out. No need to remove for the factory wind guards though, just enough space to snap it onto the inside of bar weight.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Loosening the philips head screw a few turns and then start prying on the end weight. once you get it a bit loose then you can use pliers o such over the screw and hammer it out against the end weight.
I undid mine too much once and had two fish the rubber expander out with a length of coat hanger wire bent on the end to catch the plug hold. big time PITA, don't so that.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

It may not help if the nut is spinning in the rubber but once you have loosened the screw "some" leave the driver in it and hit the driver with a hammer.

This will get the nut out of the rubber thus reducing the squash on rubber some and making it easier to pull out.

Other than that some lubricant will help but clean it all good before reassembly.
notacop and Gert like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

So I got it out enough to be able to spray some PB Blaster down into the bar to try and loosen things up. The end piece now spins more freely, but I'm still not getting the assembly to budge. I stuck a small pry bar between the end piece and handle grip and banged on it with a mini sledge. I think it moved a little, hard to tell. I'm extremely close to being able to fit the hand guard over the bar, but it's just shy and I don't want to force it and damage the guard mounting point.

I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated at this point 😤
post #9 of 16 Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhberria View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

So I got it out enough to be able to spray some PB Blaster down into the bar to try and loosen things up. The end piece now spins more freely, but I'm still not getting the assembly to budge. I stuck a small pry bar between the end piece and handle grip and banged on it with a mini sledge. I think it moved a little, hard to tell. I'm extremely close to being able to fit the hand guard over the bar, but it's just shy and I don't want to force it and damage the guard mounting point.

I'm running out of ideas and getting pretty frustrated at this point 😤

While you have the pry bar in place loosen the screw some more. Keep pressure on the weight. If you can get more of the screw out hit the screw to break the wedge loose.

That's all I got

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #10 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is why I grease or anti seize the threads where ever I can. I assume the threads rusted together.

Same with electrical connectors, dielectric grease.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode