Removing the air box on my 2012 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By blaustrom
  • 1 Post By cabenth

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-27-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Removing the air box on my 2012

I'm trying to remove the air box on my bike in order to get to the throttle bodies so I can release the throttle cables so I can replace the start switch module which burned out, dropping my headlights....

I have the Haynes book, and it helpfully tells me to unscrew the clamps and remove it...
One of those clamps ( the rear one) is easy to get to, and you can see it in the attached picture.
I can feel the other screw - but it seems to be blocked by the frame rails and I can't see it from any direction, top, left, right, bottom, front, and so on. If it were a thumb screw, I would be able to release it, but its a rather small screw with a hex socket head.

Anyone know the trick?
Or what I'm missing?

Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030s.jpg (354.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0028s.jpg (364.0 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 01:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why on earth do you want to remove the airbox to change the starter switch????

Take the starter switch apart (2 screws). That releases the throttle tube and you have access to the throttle cable ends and nipples that are inserted into the throttle tube. Easy to free from the throttle cables. Then just replace the switch part of the assembly or is this not possible?
Big B likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 08:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

You should be able to get to the front clamp with a long extension bar and a socket.

If you can't you can get flexible extension bars.

https://www.google.com.au/search?bih...&biw=2021&sa=x

When putting it all back together ensure you put the clamp in a more accessible spot.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Why on earth do you want to remove the airbox to change the starter switch????

Take the starter switch apart (2 screws). That releases the throttle tube and you have access to the throttle cable ends and nipples that are inserted into the throttle tube. Easy to free from the throttle cables. Then just replace the switch part of the assembly or is this not possible?

That sounds reasonable, but even with the tensioners on the tubes adjusted as loose as possible, there is not enough slack in the cables to release them. Perhaps I'm missing something but I don't see any way to get them off without extreme force, and I wouldn't be able to get them back on if I did that, assuming I didn't damage anything.

On the comments and link about the extension, thank you, makes sense, I suppose whoever put this on at the factory had the engine out... you'd think that would be a matter of training, don't put clamps on in a position that requires near engine removal to access them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0032s.jpg (99.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0033s.jpg (123.0 KB, 8 views)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 10:27 AM
$tromtrooper

Not related ...but, those are some nasty looking welds in that first pic. I would think a robot would make a better looking weld!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Not related ...but, those are some nasty looking welds in that first pic. I would think a robot would make a better looking weld!
no, not related at all, but I would tend to agree... they are pretty sloppy... but I suspect they're plenty secure.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabenth View Post
.Perhaps I'm missing something ..

On the comments and link about the extension, thank you, makes sense, ...
You are missing something. 1. Undo the throttle cable slack adjuster to get slack. 2. Just pull the top part up and the throttle tube gets fee and you can unhook the throttle cable, FOR SURE!

Yes the clamp for the throttle body boot is in a crazy spot. But the good part is it is in a fixed position and does not try to turn away from you whilst attempting to engage. A long extension and a good flashlight will do the trick. No need to take the engine out ;-)
itlives likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
You are missing something. 1. Undo the throttle cable slack adjuster to get slack. 2. Just pull the top part up and the throttle tube gets fee and you can unhook the throttle cable, FOR SURE!

Yes the clamp for the throttle body boot is in a crazy spot. But the good part is it is in a fixed position and does not try to turn away from you whilst attempting to engage. A long extension and a good flashlight will do the trick. No need to take the engine out ;-)

Pulling the top part up pulled the cable housing, which put tension on the cables. I suppose there might have been some middle ground where I could get it just right and fish them out but I ended up managing to get the air box off and releasing the cables at the throttle body.

I swear they make some of this stuff to be really hard to work on - in part just because of the small area to fit everything but still frustrating.

Thanks for the help
Chipwidget likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode