Battery runs down after a few days just sitting - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Unhappy Battery runs down after a few days just sitting

My battery runs down to completely dead after a few 7-12 days of sitting without a charger on it. Is there something that runs all the time or is it just mine?
Thanks,
Barender

Barender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barender View Post
My battery runs down to completely dead after a few 7-12 days of sitting without a charger on it. Is there something that runs all the time or is it just mine?
Thanks,
Barender
a year ago I had the same situation. I'd suggest you charge the battery and then when done, use your multi-meter to read the volts across it. Start the bike. Read the volts across the battery when it is running -- at idle, at 3k rpm and at 5k rpm. If your system is not putting enough charge into the battery while riding, that'll help kill it off. If you are not riding it at all for the 7-12 day period you mention, then each day check the voltage across the battery and see how much it changes. Get the battery load tested at a place like Advance Auto. That'll tell you if your battery is able to hold a charge. In my case, I needed a new battery.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use a solar paddle to charge up the battery whenever it sits for a long time, just needs sun shine...summer or winter

its that darned clock function always keeping the time draining the battery ....

Suzuki 650 2014 weestorm

post #4 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 10:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

There is a very tiny load from the clock etc. If that is killing the battery in a week it is toast. One day it won't start when you come out of the store/bar/coffee shop.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #5 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I did replace the battery and it is ok if I ride it occasionally. Itís just when it sits for awhile. At different rpms it from 11.7v at idle to almost 13v at higher rpms. I can ride all day with no problems,but, if it sits for a week or so it goes completely dead.

Barender
post #6 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

How far down does it get ?

A bad battery will usually get down to around 11.2 volts while just sitting, that is a bad cell.

If it continues down below 10 volts you have a parasitic drain on your system, that is something is draining the power while the bike is stopped.

Are you 100% sure you are not turning your parking lights on ?

Are you battery cables clean and tight ?

What aftermarket stuff do have fitted ?

A bad regulator can cause a drain but I have never heard of this on a Strom.

With the bike shut down remove the positive battery cable then put a AMP meter between the positive battery terminal and the positive cable, take a reading it should be very very low something like 0.003amps, if it is much bigger you need to find the source of the power drain.
V-Harry likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I do need to check the drain on the system when it is off. The new battery drains down just like the old one, so, something is drawing voltage all the time. I will try the amp drainage check to see if something is shorted or staying on.
Thanks

Barender
post #8 of 18 Old 07-26-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Parking lights not on, battery terminals cleaned and tight when new battery was put in, it has Denali running lights, a voltmeter, and a 12v switched outlet, no other accessories. Only goes down after a few days, daily riding is no problem.
Thanks

Barender
post #9 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 02:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

11.7 to 13v is far to low and you never maintain your battery with those numbers.

You may need to test your stator or just pull the cover and have a look for burn marks.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

You don't by any chance have a tank bag with an electrical feed on your bike or similar, https://www.stromtrooper.com/5264925-post3.html You could perhaps try pulling the fuses, one at a time, in attempt to locate which fuse line is the cause the voltage drain. Another manner is to connect a multi meter across each pulled fuse and read the milli-amps being drawn, while the ignition is off. The measurement won't be in amps, as you state that it takes a few days to discharge the battery, hence the milli-amps setting. For safety first try a reading in amps then switch to the miili-amps setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode