Battery runs down after a few days just sitting - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Do you have ANY accessory plugs/fixtures on your bike? If so, they may be the drain that kills your battery.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-28-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The bike had denali lights on it when i bought it recently and they appear to have a small draw all the time. I don't know if this normal for these lights, but, i disconnected them and will see if the drain continues or the battery keep a charge. If the battery stays charged i will probably remove the lights since i don't need them for my use. Will update if that corrects the drain on the battery.
Thanks

Barender
post #13 of 18 Old 07-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lights do not draw down power when they are not on. Also the bike should be showing more than 13 volts when running - even when idling, and not 11.7 volts.

A good battery should show more than 12 volts when not even running - unless the bike has been idle for many weeks.
Big B and Gert like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #14 of 18 Old 07-28-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I agree, but, when i check it with a multimeter there is slight draw in resistance to ohms to on the meter as opposed to all the other battery connections main and aux wires (power socket and charge plug). None of the other wires, even the main ground wire shows a reading except the Denali light wire. I suspect a short somewhere in the Denali wiring, i just haven't gotten the far yet. Waiting to see if the disconnected Denali power wire will affect the battery draining down over the next couple of days. If the battery stays charged up then i have found my culprit, if not then the search continues.
Brockie likes this.

Barender
post #15 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

A multi meter can sometimes be miss-read. You could try with a test bulb across the fuse terminals. If the bulb burns, with the ignition off, there is current flow (aka a short to earth). Move the wiring around to see if the bulb goes out. You may even be lucky to get very close to the problem area by moving the wiring while watching the bulb.
Make up your own test bulb by either soldering two longish leads to the contacts on underside of a spare bulb or wire the leads to an automotive bulb holder. The free ends of the leads can be soldered and hammered in shape to enable slotting in the fuse blade terminals. Let us know if you have any success in locating the fault.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barender View Post
I agree, but, when i check it with a multimeter there is slight draw in resistance to ohms to on the meter as opposed to all the other battery connections main and aux wires (power socket and charge plug). None of the other wires, even the main ground wire shows a reading except the Denali light wire. I suspect a short somewhere in the Denali wiring, i just haven't gotten the far yet. Waiting to see if the disconnected Denali power wire will affect the battery draining down over the next couple of days. If the battery stays charged up then i have found my culprit, if not then the search continues.
Interesting. Most accessory lights use a relay which is activated by a small current (around 70mA to 100mA). This is supposed to be connected to a 12V source which is switched with the ignition. This way without ignition the current is truly zero (Relay open).

If the previous owner connected this cable (sometimes white color) also directly to the battery then there will be 70mA flowing all of the time, holding the relay in “closed” mode. If there is an additional switch then the lights stay off but the current is still there. I would say this sounds like a likely scenario. The relay current would be enough to be a problem after a few days.

If this is the case, connect the white cable to the accessory/heated grip plug behind the radiator and your problem is solved.
Big B likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have a USB charger port installed, does battery discharge if connected from bike? I have had "2" bad batteries in a row before (don't cheap out on batteries), and they do some weird things sometimes.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #18 of 18 Old 07-30-2019, 02:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Have a USB charger port installed, does battery discharge if connected from bike? I have had "2" bad batteries in a row before (don't cheap out on batteries), and they do some weird things sometimes.
Yes this can definitely happen. The charger will have a constant current even if no load is detected. Depending how much the low current was a design consideration or not the current could be significant enough to kill your battery within as little as week or two. It really depends on the unit you have. To know how much, just put an ampere meter between the battery and the (likely red) wire of your charger and see what it says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode