wee strom riding impressions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 07-22-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

wee strom riding impressions

After 15 years if riding everything from Suzuki C50 to Nomad 1500 to Goldwings ('06 & '12) and an old KLR650, I finally thinned the herd and replaced them all with a wee strom. A good friend (Countersteer from the VR forum, he might be here too) has one and couldn't say enough great things about the bike, so I bought one just before the snow flew last fall with 79 km on it. This spring/summer so far I made a 400km trip through Kananaskis, a 2-day 1200+ km trip to Montana, and I just got back today from a 4-day 1700km trip to the BC interior. After 3,000km I feel qualified to give some initial riding impressions for those thinking of buying one:

- this bike has some decent guts! - riding in a group with several Road Kings, Nomads, ST1300s, etc, my wee more than held her own! Fully kitted out with (very full) aluminum paniers, I was more than able to keep up with the big boys, and led a stretch from Balfour to Nakusp where I took the twisties at full speed (130 km/h-ish) and left a few riders behind.

- is it just me, or does she get a bit "buzzy" between 4000-5000 rpm's? She really seems to like riding between 5000-6000 rpms in 6th, doing about 130km/h seems what she was built for!

- everyone was impressed with how much crap I could stuff into the paniers. Top box easily fit 2 15-can cases of kokanee with ice for the after ride festivities nicely.

- my back isn't great after an accident wrote off my Goldwing....but the stock seat leaves a little to be desired after 3+ hours of slab riding. Is it just me?

- handlebar position seems a little of a reach for my 5'9" frame.....what risers is everyone using here...Rox?

- wind buffeting was really minimal until we got on the eastward windtunnel between Banff and Cochrane. Other than that she was solid as a rock

- because I am somewhat vertically challenged, I'm thinking of dropping her down an inch. Recommendations?

- range seemed decent at about 350-400km per tank. some stretches took 4.2L/100km, others over 5.0L/100km. Guess it depends on how liberal one is on the throttle (think I need a cramp buster though, really missed the cruise control from my Goldwing a few times)

- ABS worked great! Had a few wet spots from some rain, and another instance where I did go into some gravel, and both times the ABS worked its magic and kept things planted nicely

I'm really looking forward to tackling some forestry roads and trails later this summer to see how she rides in her natural element. After my first few months of ownership, I can honestly say this is a great bike and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Let the farkling begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1 Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Gascan
Yes great bike, I came off DR650 as many have on here.
Have 2013 did a ride with wife, 5000km up to Darwin and 5000km back, Australia.
Found seat ok with sheep skin on it, but after 4 or 5 days was getting sore after about 5 hours.
5'9 I wish, 5'5 in the sun, looked at lowering with links but went with low seat.
If you like trails/forest roads I would lower it as it's low already.
All round a great bike, it will never be a KTM etc, but that is not how it's marked anyway.
But a bike that can go a long way on both road and dirt it's spot on.
Quick vid
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...FkG8Dh-640.mp4

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...LwdgJr-640.mp4

Harry
post #3 of 1 Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascan View Post
- is it just me, or does she get a bit "buzzy" between 4000-5000 rpm's? She really seems to like riding between 5000-6000 rpms in 6th, doing about 130km/h seems what she was built for!
!
They do buzz between those ranges - especially with crash bars on. On advice from another forum member I fitted rox 1 1/8 risers, part number: 3R-B12POE which bring the bars inch higher and an inch back towards the rider. It has made a major improvement to the ergos for me. I agree on the ABS as well. My last bike was a 2016 DRZ400E.

Last edited by V650; 07-22-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode