2013 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2013 650

This is day two with my 'new' bike. I got it with no maintenance records, so I'll start from scratch. I changed the oil and filter and plan on coolant and brake fluid next but will wait until I get a manual. I have used Haynes in the past-any other recommendations?

This is the only Strom I have ridden and wonder about gear noise at low speed. Is this normal?

The battery looks to have been in place a long time. Is it possible for it to be original?
The bike is clean with 17,500 miles and has some good accessories. I am enjoying it so far except for the seat. An Airhawk helps some, but I can see a aftermarket seat in my future.

Ron
Belton Tx
2013 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome to the forum. Your bike has gobs more miles left in it if cared for at all. There have been some aftermarket seats for sale recently on this forum and they can be a good buy. I like the stocker, but it just works for my bony butt. I use a sheepskin on it. Lots of information on this forum so enjoy both it and your new scooter.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-18-2019, 01:12 PM
$tromtrooper

I like the Suzuki manual but I haven't looked at other manuals lately. I would change fluids and check valves. valve check is recommended at 14.5k. Unknown battery vintage gets replaced with Yuasa (by me) but I don't like to be stranded in less traveled places with iffy/none cell coverage. I remember a recall for the stator and tappets for that bike. you can verify on Zuki site with vin if that has been done. Also I would install headlight relays before my headlight circuit is damaged as many have discovered. No headlights at night is disabling. I find my Sargent seat better than oem. Lots of info on this stuff can be found using google search bar above.

14 tooth for me

Last edited by chicago; 07-18-2019 at 04:05 PM.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Congrats on the new ride.
Manuals are nice, and essential for some things, but others, like coolant and brake fluid, are generic. If you have any experience at all, go ahead and change those fluids. It's no different than any other coolant drain and refill and brake fluid flush and bleed.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2009 Wee is still on the original battery.

I expect 5 or more years from a original battery and 3 years from a aftermarket one but here down under we ride all year round.

Fitting a volt meter can tell you when your battery starts to show it's age and needs replacing.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoblanco View Post
Congrats on the new ride.
Manuals are nice, and essential for some things, but others, like coolant and brake fluid, are generic. If you have any experience at all, go ahead and change those fluids. It's no different than any other coolant drain and refill and brake fluid flush and bleed.
I agree on the front brakes, but not sure about "Tupperware" removal for radiator filler and rear brake reservoir.

Ron
Belton Tx
2013 650
post #7 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
My 2009 Wee is still on the original battery.

Fitting a volt meter can tell you when your battery starts to show it's age and needs replacing.
I have a Signal Dynamics voltage monitor on the way. My Goldwing also doesn't have a way to monitor voltage, so I put one on it and it works great.

What about the growl/whine I hear at 40 MPH? It is different than a typical tire noise. The tires are TKC 70s with no cupping and 6/32nds tread.

Ron
Belton Tx
2013 650
post #8 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

A voltage monitor can not give you the information required to properly monitor the condition of your battery.

It will tell you if your bike is charging but a digital meter is required to truly know the performance of your battery.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRblue View Post
I agree on the front brakes, but not sure about "Tupperware" removal for radiator filler and rear brake reservoir.
No need to remove the fairing to refill the rad. I used a stile of funnel that is quite narrow & long and added about 5 inches of rubber hose to get it to reach into the rad. I flushed the cooling system a few times with distilled water bringing the bike up to temperature each time until the fan kicked in at least once than drained and repeated after a short cooling down time. I went with Toyota (red/pink) full strength coolant and mixed it with 50% distilled water ensuring the overflow tank got a top-up after it was flushed. The Toyota coolant was available,affordable & suitable for the Suzuki engine but there are other suitable options too.

The rear brake flush requires the removal of the one side panel so is quite doable.

Last edited by gdrew; 07-19-2019 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Picture
post #10 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
The rear brake flush requires the removal of the one side panel so is quite doable.
You can remove a couple screws from the panel and carefully pull it out a little, then use the funnel method to fill the m/c.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode