Just bought 2013 650 ABS Adventure from dealer - leaking oil? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Just bought 2013 650 ABS Adventure from dealer - leaking oil?

Hello all! I just bought a 2013 V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure from MotoCorsa in Portland. Less than 4,000 miles so was in great shape. Rode it home to Spokane (great ride btw!), parked in the garage. Next morning I notice some leaks on the floor - smells and feels like engine oil. Engine oil gauge shows just under full oil.

I'm kind of a newbie rider, and not a gearhead, so I'm not really sure if the leaking could be because it just got serviced before the sale, or if it's a problem.

I attached some pics - I can't really tell where the oil's coming from, but it seems to be traveling down both sides of the rear shaft and dripping off the bolt area. As well as a spot underneath the middle of the bike.

Interesting enough, possibly related, I'm experiencing the weird "buzzing" or "crackling" noise on throttle. It won't let me post a link as a newbie but search the thread "odd buzzing under throttle load."

I have an email into the dealer but thought I'd check the vast knowledge here too. Thanks for any insight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7392.jpg (388.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7393.jpg (342.6 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome first!

There should not be any oil at either location. And after riding that many miles any oil from the last service (if there was such a thing) should have dropped of.

I think you need to start some detective work and figure out where its coming from. Check the rear shock. It should be dry. If its wet that would be bad news if the fluid came out of the shock.

If not from there you need to investigate the counter sprocket area. There are 2 possibilities for an oil leak: Clutch pushrod and the counter sprocket shaft. If its coming from there I would expect to see oil under that area, not at the rear wheel.

Get your fingers dirty and follow the oil residue. It will lead you to the source.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, that's not good.

Try and figure out what type of oil it is, motor or hydraulic. Motor would be worst case scenario, brakes and shock would be next. Follow oil back to where it came from, or clean and run it. Check around counter shaft sprocket for engine oil. Check rear brake reservoir.

Not a good start unfortunately.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 07-17-2019 at 12:39 PM.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

You live in WA, bought from OR. In the last couple days? I don't know for sure, but it is probably Oregon's vehicle warranty laws that would need to be looked at. Find out if there is a legal timeframe (usually just a few days, like 3) where a vehicle purchase can be cancelled and the vehicle returned for a refund of your money. It differs with each state, and I don't know if it applies to new or used motorcycles. But find out quick. Good luck!

Steve.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks like oil from the chain. Mine always looks like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
HokiesRWee and locoblanco like this.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks all! I scheduled an appointment with my local Suzuki shop but they can't get me in until late next week.

I did investigate further, and there is a coat of oil all over everything from the back of the motor, spring, and swingarms. Like it's been sprayed all over everything. Not sure exactly where it's coming from yet but the largest collected drips were at the bottom back of the motor. I wiped everything I could off in hopes that it keeps leaking and helps me determine where it's coming from. Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the insight.
post #7 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryoman View Post
Looks like oil from the chain. Mine always looks like that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This was my first thought, but the residue on the shock linkage is not consistent with an over lubed chain.
Perhaps over filled oil blowing out, as there was oil on the back of the engine.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #8 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Was there a valve check done by the dealer? Rear head cover gasket leaking?
D.T. likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #9 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Was there a valve check done by the dealer? Rear head cover gasket leaking?
They said they did a full service on it. It's a very reputable dealer, but, who knows. I looked at the bike pretty good before making the purchase but didn't get down on my hands and knees and look where it's leaking now.

I mentioned the oil gauge showed full - that was four days ago when I got it home and first noticed the leak. I just checked again, and it's about empty. Below low, I mean pretty much empty. Will refill and see if I can find the leak. Not at all stoked.
post #10 of 32 Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oil drain plug leaking?

Oil filter leaking? If it wet around the oil filter remove it and make sure there are not 2 gaskets. Sometimes the old oil filter gasket stick to the engine side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode