Upgrades that you are fans of and where purchased? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Upgrades that you are fans of and where purchased?

So, with a new bike, are you fans of these things, and if so, where was your favorite place to get them from?

Tank guards?
Knee Grips?
Panniers and hardware?
Hand grips?
Tires?
Lights?
Other upgrades you couldn't live without?

And, if anyone is in the L.A. area, let me know! Coffee and rides? Let's do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I get most of my stuff from the for sale section of the forum.
Google an item and find a low price, especially for riding suits, like Aerostich and Gerbing. Tires can be had for a good price from Chaparral in San Bernardino.
For meet-ups, Have you been to Newcombs Ranch of Hwy 2? I get up there some Thursdays for lunch time.
She-Strom likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 04:25 PM
$tromtrooper

My favorite "upgrade" is to always put a multiple power port on. I take multi day trips and have a power port for phone, tablet and GPS (at the same time).

AT 6'2" , I also like bar risers, larger windscreen and highway pegs.

Some kind of "cruise control" is mandatory for old bones.

Led lights all around save amps for heated gear.

I ride year round so heated gear is a must.

Welcome, She-rider!
She-Strom likes this.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

A "must-have" list;

• Voltmeter
  • Center Stand
  • Top Box
  • Heated Grips
  • Auto Chain Oiler

Voltmeter is for peace of mind. Center stand is great for doing any sort of maintenance on the bike. Top Box is nice when you want to carry something that won't fit under the seat and don't want to take the car. Heated grips are great for extending the riding season (Spring and Fall), even in California. When I bought my bike about a year ago it came with (but not installed) a Tutoro Chain Oiler that recently made my list. I finally installed it a few months ago and I love it. No more fussing with the chain, just top-off the reservoir and ride. It does spatter oil a bit but not too bad and a trade-off I am willing to make.
itlives and She-Strom like this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #5 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Grip puppies - Amazon for less than $15. They are a foam tube that goes over the regular grip making them more comfortable for those of us with bigger mitts.

Traveler 3" LED light pods - $74.99 at Tractor Supply. Extremely bright and turn night into day. Also effective for daytime running lights.

3" LED lights light cubes $30.00 and a wiring harness with fuse and relay $12 both off Amazon. Lights are not as bright as the Traveler brand but close. For the price I can deal with them. The also come with amber colored snap on lenses.

Ram mounts and phone holder w/ otter box to make for waterproof GPS and music - Price all in about $50 various places.

12V USB plug from Cycle Gear and HD lightening cord from Wally World to charge my phone - $20 total. Phone charges all day while I ride. No need to bring a charger in to hotel with me when traveling.

Skull candy ear buds from Wally World - $9. I can listen to music and turn by turn directions + the mic on the volume button I can talk on the phone with great clarity to the other person up to about 60 MPH. I am too cheap to go BT + BT ear buds only last 4 to 6 hours and I'd have to carry another charger.

Pandora subscription - $54 per year.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Alaska Sheepskin seat cover. Makes a fair seat good and a good seat better. Cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Best bang for the buck product I have bought in a long time. On another thread I just stopped on, I would add the cheap plastic cramp buster. Both of these are comfort items.

Next mod for me would be high visibility reflective tape on the back of my panniers. The red/white DOT stuff you see on semi-truck trailers.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #7 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
The Wee is so much fun to upgrade, so much to choose from. Depending where you live, how tall you are and what type of riding you do, farkles will vary. Here are a few on my list:

Fork brace: helps stability.
Oxford heated grips: for chilly mornings/rainy days, extends your riding time in comfort
Replacement seat: Higher, lower, MORE COMFORTABLE than stock. Some are fine with OEM, many are not, find what works for you.
"Aprilla" style mirrors: cuts buffeting down and might keep you from the next item on the list
Wind Screen upgrade: Givi is what I went with, there are several others. Ride with OEM and see if you are getting knocked around over 60 MPH and pull the trigger.
Side stand "boot": keep the wee upright on hot pavement and soft ground

The "for sale" forum here is a good spot to pick things up. Others can be purchased from the manufacturers, ebay/amazon/revzilla for the rest.

Happy riding, you will love the Wee.

Last edited by oxbowguy; 07-16-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Adding one more item
post #8 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Footpeg and controls lowering kit and mirror extenders from AdventureTech

Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover (longhair natural version)

Givi Airflow 22" windshield

Suzuki OEM centerstand
post #9 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Seat beads are also nice for getting air between you and the seat and also keeping you above the waterline during heavy rains.
She-Strom likes this.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ibuprofen and my Givi Trekker Outback panniers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode