StromTrooper banner

Throttle lock vs. Cramp Buster vs. Cruise Control

14K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  Fly2high 
#1 ·
So I’m looking for a solution to stop my throttle hand from cramping up and/or falling asleep on long trips. I’ve already installed some grip puppies, but I’m considering other options. It seems some like the Cramp Buster, which seems cheap and easy to install. Also would be usable on the not so flats. Downside is I’m not sure I like something sticking out from the throttle where it can get bumped, and also I’m guessing once you position it really on is effective in a small range of positions. Throttle locks would allow fully removing my hand from the throttle to stretch and are also fairly reasonably priced. Downside would seem that if I need hard braking suddenly then disengaging it is an extra step. Also, useless on anything but straight and flat or maybe slightly rolling hills. Cruise control wouldn’t have any problem with braking and would work better on hills, though I’d never use it in turns. Downside is significantly more time consuming installation and more expensive. I’d appreciate any feedback on everyone’s good or bad experiences with all of the above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I use the Cramp Buster on every one of my bikes. Cheap, easy to mount and take off. I typically ONLY use it when I'm on a long trip or doing x-way bombing runs longer than 30-45 min. For all other riding situations, I simply roll it around to the bottom of the grip so it's completely out of the way of my hand. I position it all the way out at the end of the grip so even when in use, it only contacts the outside pad of my palm. The only downside I've ever found is that, when I first started using it, I occasionally forgot to move it to the out-of-the-way position during a day ride of hooning the backroads and would inadvertantly contact it when moving around in the saddle....a bit disconcerting when entering a corner hot!

#3 · (Edited)
I use both a cramp-buster and a throttle lock. I've had my neck broke and fused twice. My hand will go numb quicker than the bike can hit highway speed. Finding that sweet-spot for cramp-buster location is tricky but worth it. I couldn't ride without it. I use the throttle-lock much less often, as most roads just aren't straight and flat. It does take some getting used to using the cramp-buster but it just takes practice. It took a lot of practice to learn to keep my index finger covering the front brake, but I can't seem to ride without doing it now. In addition to the cramp-buster, I focus on shoulder position and head position to alleviate the numb hand.

edit, forgot: I don't have cruise on my Suzuki but I did have cruise on the bike I sold to buy it. It's surprising just how little I actually ever used it. It seems the infinitely variable needs of a motorcycle require my hand on the throttle.

#4 ·
My hands go numb very easily as well. I've played with moving the bars all over the place and finally found a position that is the best I can find. They still go numb. I installed a Kaoko throttle lock. It works well for letting you easily take your right hand down and get some feeling back in it. If you roll the throttle forward it disengages for the most part. For the price I'm happy. With the cramp busters you wouldn't be able to take your hand off the throttle.

#5 ·
Grip puppies are simply a foam tube that increases the diameter of your grips. I have them and will be taking them off soon - I see no value in them (for me - other guys swear by them).

I've used cramp busters on both the right and left sides. I position them to keep my wrist straight - this helps alleviate any pain due to carpel tunnel on the left. On the slab I do the same for the right. I've used these when riding twisties and pushing the envelope - they have never gotten in my way.

I also have a throttle meister - i'm sure you know this applies pressure to the end of the throtttle tube/hand grip and is a friction lock. Since I always roll the throttle off when braking, this has not been a problem even at max pressure. I tend to set it so that I can take my hand off the throttle for maybe 5 seconds before the bike starts to slow. I don't want to fall off and have the bike continue running for miles and miles.

A cruise control is of course the best option. But they are pricy, not simple to install, and have their own issues (re maintenance) if not OEM.

#6 ·
You wouldn't regret the McCruise control after having it fitted if you intend to keep the bike for some time .

Its only drawback is price , but not its installation , function-ability , ease of use or styling .

Its a wicked bit of kit and has made my motorcycling a helluva lot easier .

In this case youse gets whats youse pays for

Reactions: Rolex
#7 ·
Grip puppies are simply a foam tube that increases the diameter of your grips. I have them and will be taking them off soon - I see no value in them (for me - other guys swear by them).
if you have carpal tunnel grip puppies ( they are the tube ones) ( I prefer Grip Buddies the BMW solution) should help and are easier on/off
Welcome

I've used cramp busters on both the right and left sides. I position them to keep my wrist straight - this helps alleviate any pain due to carpel tunnel on the left. On the slab I do the same for the right. I've used these when riding twisties and pushing the envelope - they have never gotten in my way.
I use on both sides as well.

Throttle lock for sure ...GoCruise2 with the tension adjustment is a big improvement.

#8 ·
I have a Kaeko on my DL which works OK. I am much fonder of the simple Vista Cruise lock for the throttle. Lock it with a push of the thumb and release it with a thumb nail flick in the opposite direction. Some times they are tricky to set up but once done right they work great and are much easier to engage than a Kaeko. Either one is super easy to over ride without actually releasing them.

#9 ·
I use Grip Puppies and a CrampBuster... I've used that combo on the last few bikes and I find it works great -- becomes 2nd nature, and never gets in the way. I don't think I've ever accidentally bumped it...

I had a Kaoko on a previous Strom, and found it more of a bother than a help. Unless you're keeping to a single speed on a slab, for a long distance, it has little functionality IMHO...

My $.02

#12 ·
On my 2007 650, I had the Kaeko throttle lock. Always found it to be a bit awkward to engage with my pinkie or slide my hand all the way to the end of the bar. Came with the bike, but wasn't impressed enough to purchase another one.

On my 2017 2016, tried the Cramp Buster. Never really liked resting the meat of my hand like that. I would rotate it out of the way unless I was putting in some hwy miles.

I've been using EZ cruise throttle lock for a couple months now. It doesn't get in my way when I'm not using it, I can engage or disengage it with my thumb when I want to use it. It's on loose enough I could apply the brakes without the throttle lock causing any issues. So far like it and $23 was pretty cheap compared to a real cruise control or another Kaeko.

#13 ·
I use the cramp buster all the time.

I have a Kaoko throttle lock that I haven't put on the new bike yet. I used it on the 650 for years and it was better than nothing, but it ain't no cruise control. I had to adjust throttle at least a thousand times on my trip south in May when it was engaged.

Currently looking at cruise control. No doubt that I would want it before another big trip.

#23 · (Edited)
2nd vote cast for this. The one I use is the simple plastic one more resembling this one;

https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/go-c...BJZACHaiz4eLXEks0cqqLG4ocJEBTyXAaAquxEALw_wcB

It's cheap, just a light friction grip to hold the throttle open against the brake lever and it does the job. It isn't tight enough to be difficult to easily twist the throttle down. Matter of fact it starts to slip ever so slowly, but gives you ample time to get your hand off the throttle and give it a break while riding.

It doesn't adjust to hills like a fancy cruise control but I mainly wanted it to rest my hand like I mentioned.

I tried the cramp buster but IMHO it's very difficult to adjust on the fly and still requires constant palm pressure to function. You fingers get some rest but your wrist is still working. I found the throttle lock a lot more comfortable and versatile.

#15 ·
I have used all 3 and currently use 2.

I started with a throttle lock on a Road King. Harley puts it on the RK for you. It worked OK.

On my Strom and first Tenere I used a cramp buster. Works pretty good for the cost and I never had issues with uncontrolled throttle. You set it where typical cruising throttle position is located....maybe 1/2 throttle.

I am so used to the cramp buster now, that when I bought my second Tenere that came with factory cruise (pausing to let the angels sing) I put the cramp buster on it. I like the buster for all road conditions and am so used to it, my throttle feels weird without. As for curves, I use cruise in curves when I am using cruise.

Here is where you might be chasing a ghost. I use cruise to keep my shoulders from cramping. I still have minor issues with numb fingers and it is on my left hand. In my case the numbness is most likely not relaxing my grip enough. I need to make a conscious effort to keep weight off my palms and to ride with an open relaxed grip.

I will not buy another street bike without ABS and all things being equal, would pick a bike with cruise control over one without.

#16 ·
Cruise control if you can afford it and want to wrench on your bike. If not, fat foamy grips, a Go-Cruise (The metal adjustable one) -AND- a cramp buster.

#17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I did tell myself to loosen up, just can’t find the sweet spot between numb fingers and not holding the throttle in position . Going to see how much grip puppies help finding that sweet spot, then look at the other options if it doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Crampbusters are unique. They can be hard to get used to. Tendency is to turn them up so they make keeping the throttle open very easy....but when you roll off the throttle they can be in the way of trying to brake. Takes some getting used to in that respect. The really good thing about them is that you can put them in place and then roll them forward and around under you so they are completely out of the way. I have electronic cruise control on both bikes. But also have crampbusters on both bikes. When in conditions where you are not using cruise due to traffic or terrain, the crampbusters are really, really good at taking pressure off your wrists.

#26 ·
+1 for cramp buster. I can ride until my butt can't take it anymore.

I used a throttle lock on a different bike I had and found it to be less than desirable. It was more of a nuisance than help and it almost cost me my life when someone pulled out in front of me. I threw it away shortly after that incident.

#27 · (Edited)
I have used a mechanical throttle lock (BrakeAway) on a cruiser motorcycle, the Cramp Buster on both the cruiser and my 'Strom, and the much simpler Go Cruise one on the 'Strom.

I agree the BrakeAway throttle lock felt risky after a while; you have to flick a catch to disengage it. It's built to also automatically disengage if you use either the front or rear brakes, but after a while I found that relay to not work very well, and I had to be careful using it only on clear stretches.

I have no such fear with the Go Cruise, though. As soon as you roll off the throttle, the Go Cruise moves with it, it only "locks" via pressure against the brake lever.

The only way this could be risky is if you didn't roll off the throttle (with your right hand) but full on released the throttle with a sudden letting go. Then of course the Go Cruise would hold the throttle in its previous position - that's what it's for (so you can relax or release your right hand's grip entirely while maintaining throttle).

But you don't do that in an emergency stop maneuver, right? Both hands should be on the handlebar, the right hand rolling down the throttle, and the left hand pulling in the clutch all the way.

The Cramp Buster worked OK, except maintaining throttle with my wrist instead of my palm still resulted in my forearm getting tired after a while. It also made low speed riding a little finicky, since moving my right hand too far to the edge of the grip for more stability while making a tight turn could easily trigger a sudden throttle rev. Since I do a lot of commuter riding in NYC, one or two instances of this and I was like, this has got to go.

#28 ·
In addition to throttle rocker, I use an old oil filter "o" ring cut and zipped tied to the throttle cable housing . The diameter fits nicely between grip and housing for a short time to jiggle the fingers and it's very cost effective. Practice makes perfect . ?? ?

#35 ·
I had grip puppies (fleabay copy - $2) but found the squishy and vague, plus effectiveness of heated grips is seriously diminished and I couldn't fit my $2 cramp buster copy over them. Replaced with cricket bat grip - $5 which looks original and works great for me. Another reason cricket is better than baseball :) - cue debate!
I also have a Vista cruise control. I find it easier to use than Kaoko etc, only cost $40 and not intrusive.
I wish I had proper cruise control (lovely on a friend's Ducati) but at the price it won't be happening on my old Strom.

#36 ·
One trick with the cramp buster, which can make your hand a bit sore after many hours in the saddle, is to cut away the part of the grip puppy, grip buddy, or take off some of the o-rings I use so the cramp buster sits about the same height as the grip surface. This lessens the irritation the edge of the cramp buster can cause over time.

#37 ·
I received the thicker cramp buster yesterday. Put used it this morning and took a meandering commute to work Seems okay, I wasn't on a long ride, but just wanted to get a feel for it and determine if there were any negatives. It didn't get in my way at all and seems like it would be great on longer rides. I think it would be nice to have one on both sides to rest on lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.