Throttle lock vs. Cramp Buster vs. Cruise Control - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Throttle lock vs. Cramp Buster vs. Cruise Control

So Im looking for a solution to stop my throttle hand from cramping up and/or falling asleep on long trips. Ive already installed some grip puppies, but Im considering other options. It seems some like the Cramp Buster, which seems cheap and easy to install. Also would be usable on the not so flats. Downside is Im not sure I like something sticking out from the throttle where it can get bumped, and also Im guessing once you position it really on is effective in a small range of positions. Throttle locks would allow fully removing my hand from the throttle to stretch and are also fairly reasonably priced. Downside would seem that if I need hard braking suddenly then disengaging it is an extra step. Also, useless on anything but straight and flat or maybe slightly rolling hills. Cruise control wouldnt have any problem with braking and would work better on hills, though Id never use it in turns. Downside is significantly more time consuming installation and more expensive. Id appreciate any feedback on everyones good or bad experiences with all of the above

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use the Cramp Buster on every one of my bikes. Cheap, easy to mount and take off. I typically ONLY use it when I'm on a long trip or doing x-way bombing runs longer than 30-45 min. For all other riding situations, I simply roll it around to the bottom of the grip so it's completely out of the way of my hand. I position it all the way out at the end of the grip so even when in use, it only contacts the outside pad of my palm. The only downside I've ever found is that, when I first started using it, I occasionally forgot to move it to the out-of-the-way position during a day ride of hooning the backroads and would inadvertantly contact it when moving around in the saddle....a bit disconcerting when entering a corner hot!
post #3 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I use both a cramp-buster and a throttle lock. I've had my neck broke and fused twice. My hand will go numb quicker than the bike can hit highway speed. Finding that sweet-spot for cramp-buster location is tricky but worth it. I couldn't ride without it. I use the throttle-lock much less often, as most roads just aren't straight and flat. It does take some getting used to using the cramp-buster but it just takes practice. It took a lot of practice to learn to keep my index finger covering the front brake, but I can't seem to ride without doing it now. In addition to the cramp-buster, I focus on shoulder position and head position to alleviate the numb hand.

edit, forgot: I don't have cruise on my Suzuki but I did have cruise on the bike I sold to buy it. It's surprising just how little I actually ever used it. It seems the infinitely variable needs of a motorcycle require my hand on the throttle.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Last edited by scab; 07-14-2019 at 10:28 PM.

post #4 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My hands go numb very easily as well. I've played with moving the bars all over the place and finally found a position that is the best I can find. They still go numb. I installed a Kaoko throttle lock. It works well for letting you easily take your right hand down and get some feeling back in it. If you roll the throttle forward it disengages for the most part. For the price I'm happy. With the cramp busters you wouldn't be able to take your hand off the throttle.

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike
post #5 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Grip puppies are simply a foam tube that increases the diameter of your grips. I have them and will be taking them off soon - I see no value in them (for me - other guys swear by them).

I've used cramp busters on both the right and left sides. I position them to keep my wrist straight - this helps alleviate any pain due to carpel tunnel on the left. On the slab I do the same for the right. I've used these when riding twisties and pushing the envelope - they have never gotten in my way.

I also have a throttle meister - i'm sure you know this applies pressure to the end of the throtttle tube/hand grip and is a friction lock. Since I always roll the throttle off when braking, this has not been a problem even at max pressure. I tend to set it so that I can take my hand off the throttle for maybe 5 seconds before the bike starts to slow. I don't want to fall off and have the bike continue running for miles and miles.

A cruise control is of course the best option. But they are pricy, not simple to install, and have their own issues (re maintenance) if not OEM.
Macdoc likes this.
post #6 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

You wouldn't regret the McCruise control after having it fitted if you intend to keep the bike for some time .

Its only drawback is price , but not its installation , function-ability , ease of use or styling .

Its a wicked bit of kit and has made my motorcycling a helluva lot easier .

In this case youse gets whats youse pays for
Rolex likes this.

DL650A L3
KLR650
CB900 Bol d'Or
Yamaha Nifty Fifty ( great way of saving for university )
RD350LC
CB125twin
Farm Bike Suzuki Van Van 125
post #7 of 38 Old 07-14-2019, 11:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Grip puppies are simply a foam tube that increases the diameter of your grips. I have them and will be taking them off soon - I see no value in them (for me - other guys swear by them).
if you have carpal tunnel grip puppies ( they are the tube ones) ( I prefer Grip Buddies the BMW solution) should help and are easier on/off
Welcome

Quote:
I've used cramp busters on both the right and left sides. I position them to keep my wrist straight - this helps alleviate any pain due to carpel tunnel on the left. On the slab I do the same for the right. I've used these when riding twisties and pushing the envelope - they have never gotten in my way.
I use on both sides as well.

Throttle lock for sure ...GoCruise2 with the tension adjustment is a big improvement.
Spec likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #8 of 38 Old 07-15-2019, 12:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a Kaeko on my DL which works OK. I am much fonder of the simple Vista Cruise lock for the throttle. Lock it with a push of the thumb and release it with a thumb nail flick in the opposite direction. Some times they are tricky to set up but once done right they work great and are much easier to engage than a Kaeko. Either one is super easy to over ride without actually releasing them.
post #9 of 38 Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

I use Grip Puppies and a CrampBuster... I've used that combo on the last few bikes and I find it works great -- becomes 2nd nature, and never gets in the way. I don't think I've ever accidentally bumped it...

I had a Kaoko on a previous Strom, and found it more of a bother than a help. Unless you're keeping to a single speed on a slab, for a long distance, it has little functionality IMHO...

My $.02

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #10 of 38 Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

A cheap solution is to play the piano.
See this video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode