Problem with my DL650A 2015 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes
  • 1 Post By dmfdmf
  • 1 Post By PompaM V-STROM650
  • 3 Post By blaustrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Problem with my DL650A 2015

Now I found 2 problem with my DL650A 2015 (Mileage 170,000km with 4.5 years)

1. Now I found ABS light is show up and not disappear while riding. But this light show not permanently, Some time it's not show all along ride, sometime disappear for a while and show up again. Sometime not show until I stop riding. I not sure what cause of this. I check with my dealer and they inform maybe come from ABS module but I still curious it's may possibility come from sensor (Dirty) or not?

2. This problem just happened for 2 days, during I riding, speed on speedometer is 0 and mileage counter is not move. First I think may come from some circuit in speedometer is short. But after try to replace speedometer with other v-storm it normal.

Can you advise me for this 2 problem? Thank you very much krab...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM
$tromtrooper

I hope the ABS is not going out. I would clean the sensor and remove and replace the fuses just to try anything besides buying a $1,500 part for a motorcycle with that many miles (kilometers) on it ...unless that is a typo, that's 37,700 miles a year or close to it.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was curious so... 170,000km = 105,633 miles (which is a lot) in 4.5 years = 23,480mi/yr = 451mi/week = 90mi/day(5 day work-week).

1) ABS light is suppose to go off automatically when you start moving (~5mph or ~8kph) so if the speedometer is not working then that may explain the ABS issue

2) Its not clear from your description but you swapped an instrument panel (i.e. "speedometer") from a working bike and it worked fine. Or did you swap the speedometer sensor (at the countershaft, i.e. front sprocket)?

I'd replace the speedometer sensor and check the electrical plugs on the left hand side of the cowling that feed the instrument panel as these are prone to fry due to the headlight circuit (especially if you never installed an EB headlight relay kit). If the ABS woes continue after getting the speedo fixed do a search for Gen2 (2012-2016) ABS issues, there have been reports of ABS failure on Gen2 which was a redesign from Gen1 to save weight and use less amps but may be slightly less reliable.
Big B likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
I was curious so... 170,000km = 105,633 miles (which is a lot) in 4.5 years = 23,480mi/yr = 451mi/week = 90mi/day(5 day work-week).
Yeah, he be riding more than me! I do 300 + miles a week commuting. It's why I have this bike.
I'm thinking maybe he meant 17, 000 .....

But, we may never know if he doesn't come back.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Yeah, he be riding more than me! I do 300 + miles a week commuting. It's why I have this bike.
I'm thinking maybe he meant 17, 000 .....

But, we may never know if he doesn't come back.
Sorry, I just comeback and almost forget because it not show notification when this post get reply.

First, I not miss typing (555) my bike mileage is now 169570 and stop around 2 week ago when I found problem of speedometer problem. I bought this bike around near end of 2014. I have only this bike, not other bike or other car. I use this bike with every activity such as go to work, go some place and mostly travel up country. That's why my mileage is very high (Not only me, I found some owner in Thailand has mileage is nearly me with similar year).

About problem, I just go to check with Thai-Suzuki HQ and they found speed sensor is not working. I need to buy this part around 1500THB to replace it. And they suggest problem of ABS light is may come from this speed sensor also. So, I hope after replace speed sensor it may no problem. Otherwise maybe I need to spend money more 555
itlives likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post

1) ABS light is suppose to go off automatically when you start moving (~5mph or ~8kph) so if the speedometer is not working then that may explain the ABS issue

2) Its not clear from your description but you swapped an instrument panel (i.e. "speedometer") from a working bike and it worked fine. Or did you swap the speedometer sensor (at the countershaft, i.e. front sprocket)?

I'd replace the speedometer sensor and check the electrical plugs on the left hand side of the cowling that feed the instrument panel as these are prone to fry due to the headlight circuit (especially if you never installed an EB headlight relay kit). If the ABS woes continue after getting the speedo fixed do a search for Gen2 (2012-2016) ABS issues, there have been reports of ABS failure on Gen2 which was a redesign from Gen1 to save weight and use less amps but may be slightly less reliable.
for 2) I swap my speedometer to other bike and it work properly, but when I comment speedometer from other bike. It also problem, That's why I understand it not come from speedometer.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think you got correct advise. I think the ABS and speed problems are linked and caused by the same sensor. The newer models DL650 (not sure from which year on) don't have a speed sensor but use the front ABS ring to feed the ABS signal AND the speed signal. So likely there is some damage to the sensor or its cable.

Once fixed, can you please report what was changed for everybody's education.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode