Yet Another Headlight Thread - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

10Likes
  • 1 Post By gourdhead
  • 3 Post By BC Rider
  • 4 Post By BC Rider
  • 2 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yet Another Headlight Thread

That's right, another guy who's headlights don't work So, here's where I'm at-

1) Its not the starter switch, which is clean.

2) I cleaned and prepped the three connectors under the left fairing with dialectric grease. Still nothing.

3) I'm working my way backwards so I hopefully won't have to pull the tank. Next step is the connector behind the radiator. Which side of the bike is it on, and what's the best way to get to it?

I leave for the COBDR on 7-04,and it sure would be nice to have headlights.

And before anyone says anything-

4) yes I put this off too long,and now I'm paying the price

5) yes, I should put an Eastern Beaver on it, but I just put tires, levers, brake pads, pegs, and bar risers on it for the ride. My farkle budget is a little tight. Maybe when I get back, since the tank will be off to clean Colorado out of my air cleaner anyway.

Thanks my Strom riding brothers. Gen 2's forever
DesertBike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

As you are going through things are you checking for power. Use a multimeter or a test light and make sure there is power at the conectors you work on. Make sure the ground to the headlights is there. High beam switch can be a trouble spot also.
itlives, gourdhead and DesertBike like this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oh and worst comes to worst you can run a fused wire to the headlights for your trip. Pull the fuse or add a switch to turn off.
Big B, K9 Wee, itlives and 1 others like this.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T

post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2019, 02:29 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I am currently having a similar problem with my k8 wee. I just took it on a trip and when I got to the motel last night I found out that my headlights wern't working at all, low or high beam. Fuses were good, so I went to the NAPA this morning to replace the bulbs thinking that must be it, but I was wrong. The manager came out and tested the three prong plug for me and it turns out that there is no power going to my headlights at all. after dooing some searcing on the youtube we found a video that shows there is a single wire in one of the harnesses under the airbox that can get hot, melt the plastic, and become loose causing the lights to not get power. Im thinking that is my issue, and perhaps yours could be similar. If anyone else has any ideas and would like to point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2019, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
el Loco. If it is not the starter switch the second place to look is the large wiring loom main connector on the left side of the radiator/headstock under the LHS faring. If your bike has seen a lot of weather the terminals there can become corroded.
Otherwise look at the wiring to the bulbs. These are the Y and the B/BL. The earth is the B/W. The B/BL turns to W at the above main plug, and then goes to the fusebox. There is also a 10 wire plug that goes to the LH switchblock which includes the dimmer switch wiring. Look for Y/W, W and Y wires there.

These are the K8 etc colours. Perhaps they are similar/the same on later models.
Big B and blaustrom like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode