Accident today on my Wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Accident today on my Wee

Coming home from work today I was in an accident with my Wee. Everyone is okay with no injuries. I'm just a little sore a few hours later.

The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic but the factory crash bars took most of the force and will need to be replaced. They cracked at the mounting points and are severly bent. Any suggestions on replacements? I wasn't sure if anyone had first hand experience hard testing their own crash bars. Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am glad you are OK.
Ride sfae/Ride long
post #3 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm glad you're okay and here to ask about parts. As long as we can come away from a get-off relatively intact, they make new bikes and new bike parts every day. I hope you're insured and perhaps a check with the insurance company will answer some of the questions. Insurance companies have replaced a few bikes of mine that I thought were easily repairable. It seems they tend to look at things from a different point of view, with repair liabilities and such. And I've always found bike shopping more fun than parts shopping.
itlives and Motorpsychology like this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

post #4 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hopefully you are good after a couple days of observation. The Insurance should cover the damage if you have full coverage.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Glad you walked away from it!

I've been stalling putting crash bars on my new bike. This is motivation to get it done.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #6 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Glad it wasnt a serious accident.
I recently had a low side slide and walked away with just some scratches on my Outback Motortek crash bars. They held up very well. The left side is now about a 1/2" closer to my tank than the right, but they held up well.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
I recently had a low side slide and walked away with just some scratches on my Outback Motortek crash bars. They held up very well. The left side is now about a 1/2" closer to my tank than the right, but they held up well.
Thank you for the recommendation. I was considering getting theirs. I talked to someone from there at the end of April about a skid plate but I didn't pull the trigger on it yet. I'm glad they worked for you
post #8 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
OP glad you are okay.

You can probably pull it back out away from the tank slightly by bracing the bike on the opposite side in a few places and putting a rachet strap on the bar and cranking it back out. I don't think it would really fatigue the metal much. Or drop it on the other side so they match
post #9 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering lately if frame sliders might be better than the stock crash bars for 99% pavement riding.

2013 DL650A, OEM centerstand, Powerlet outlet, Parabellum windshield with X-screen deflector.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl5005 View Post
Coming home from work today I was in an accident with my Wee. Everyone is okay with no injuries. I'm just a little sore a few hours later.

The damage to the bike is mostly cosmetic but the factory crash bars took most of the force and will need to be replaced. They cracked at the mounting points and are severly bent. Any suggestions on replacements? I wasn't sure if anyone had first hand experience hard testing their own crash bars. Thank you for your help.
Good to know you came through okay.
However, a little sore is a little injured.
What happened? It would be good to share this as a learning thing for us all.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode