Locked lock! Anyone else? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Locked lock! Anyone else?

A few trips ago we were stopping for our last tank of go-juice and I couldn't turn the key. The ignition lock wouldn't turn. It was totally jammed. Fortunately I had some chain lube oil, so I dribbled a bunch in there and after a few minutes of jiggling and wiggling finally go the tumbler loose. Now I regularly squirt some Tri-Flow in there, just in case.

I've never had this problem in any vehicle before, in 50 years of driving/riding. Is this a known problem with gen 2 650s? (2013 DL650A).

2013 DL650A, OEM centerstand, Powerlet outlet, Parabellum windshield with X-screen deflector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scritch View Post
A few trips ago we were stopping for our last tank of go-juice and I couldn't turn the key. The ignition lock wouldn't turn. It was totally jammed. Fortunately I had some chain lube oil, so I dribbled a bunch in there and after a few minutes of jiggling and wiggling finally go the tumbler loose. Now I regularly squirt some Tri-Flow in there, just in case.

I've never had this problem in any vehicle before, in 50 years of driving/riding. Is this a known problem with gen 2 650s? (2013 DL650A).

Lube into the lock isn't a good idea as it will collect dirt.

Use some electrical contact cleaner to wash out all dirt/lube.
WD40 will work and not leave much film. Main thing is to get all the gunk out.

Some Teflon dry type lube onto the locking bar itself might help.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Happened to me last fall and no amount of lube or cleaning helped. Removed the lock and took it to a locksmith. He found the key was bottoming before the locking tabs were fully out. A little more room was made in the bottom of the case and all was well. 5K later still good. Might have been able to file a tad from the tip of the key also, but would need to do both(spare).

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

There's a thread on how to remove and fix the lock tumblers. The hardest part was removing the security bolts. Make sure not to reuse them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I found mine ignition lock a bit tight occasionally. Then I found I could depress the key further into the mechanism and then it would turn freely. Seems like it's spring loaded and has some free play.
I've given it a shot of silicone at some point but it's been easy to use since. I just depress the key occasionally.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I found mine ignition lock a bit tight occasionally. Then I found I could depress the key further into the mechanism and then it would turn freely. Seems like it's spring loaded and has some free play.
I've given it a shot of silicone at some point but it's been easy to use since. I just depress the key occasionally.
I noticed that, too. I have developed a reflex now of pushing down on the key against that spring before I turn the key. Works pretty reliably.

I am going to clean the lock out now, though, based on others' advice.

2013 DL650A, OEM centerstand, Powerlet outlet, Parabellum windshield with X-screen deflector.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
any problems with squirting some graphite in there? I often look at it wondering what kind of maintenance i should do on it. Its the perfect dirt collection.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #8 of 9 Old 06-30-2019, 03:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Mine just started doing this about a month ago. I squirted some chain lube in it and its been working. Its on the list of winter maintenance, hope it holds out for 5 months before it ceases to operate.

2015 V-Strom 650XT
post #9 of 9 Old 06-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

a while back my ign lock was feeling kinda gummy and stiff. I alternately squirted carb cleaner where the key goes in and blew it out with compressed air several times. then sprayed some wd40 in there. cover the outside of the ign lock with a rag to catch the dirty carb cleaner as it comes out It works fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode