Handguards - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Handguards

Hey guys just wondering if you could help me with a question. I have just purchased my second vstrom a 2014 650 and it came with no handguards. My last Strom an 09 had the factory guards which worked fine for blocking wind and bugs which is what I am looking for. My question is this. Does anyone know if the handguards off a 2014 dl1000 are compatible for the same year dl650? Or do I need to order specific guards for the 650? Thanks for your help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Fairly confident they would be the same. That said on my 07 I had a broken handguard when I bought the bike and looking at the factory units, they are decent wind deflectors but provide little to no actual hand protection. I thought about buying bark busters but went with these instead.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Taking my time on install they are installed symmetrically and look good. They provide decent wind protection, though slightly less than the factory units. They are aluminum so I tightened them a little at a time to avoid stripping the hardware (china). Hard to beat for the price, and knew I could return them if they didn't work out. No clearance issues anywhere. You can partially see them in the last pic of my new member thread.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

From my experience, I don't think they are compatible.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You may be able to make them work, but the hand guards for a 2014 DL1000 look quite a bit different than those for my 2015 DL650. Different part numbers too.

Long time rider, first time V-Strom owner
2015 DL650A, Candy Daring Red (mine)
2015 Honda CBR300RA, Matte Black (my wife's)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
You may be able to make them work, but the hand guards for a 2014 DL1000 look quite a bit different than those for my 2015 DL650. Different part numbers too.
Wow I'm really surprised by that. one would think in the effort reduce costs, the bikes would share as many accessories as possible including controls etc. You would think instead of eliminating emergency flashers, they could find other areas to keep costs down...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Wow I'm really surprised by that. one would think in the effort reduce costs, the bikes would share as many accessories as possible including controls etc. You would think instead of eliminating emergency flashers, they could find other areas to keep costs down...
The DL1000 has a hydraulic clutch vs the DL650 having a cable clutch. The clutch side is different for that reason. You'll need to order the whole kit to make the guards work. The kit includes spaces and bolts for the bar ends and it includes other needed mounting hardware. Unless you can find the kit at a decent discount, it's hard to justify the price.

The Acerbis guards I got when I mangled a bar end during a low side, cost less than the kit and cost about what the bar ends I needed to keep using the factory guards would have. I got the Acerbis X-Factory guards and while that model is vented they do what I need them to. There are other models with more wind coverage, and other folks seem to like Barkbusters a lot, but I saw no reason to spend the extra coin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode