Will a front lift work or not? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By PerazziMx14

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Will a front lift work or not?

Trying to determine if a regular $50 front wheel lift from amazon will be sufficient for a 2015 650?
By regular, I mean the kind that have two pins or fingers for each fork tube. Like the basic Venom or Pitbull lifts. I saw one post saying won’t work due to abs sensor and difference in fork length. Thanks in advance for for input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-23-2019, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoward001 View Post
Trying to determine if a regular $50 front wheel lift from amazon will be sufficient for a 2015 650?
By regular, I mean the kind that have two pins or fingers for each fork tube. Like the basic Venom or Pitbull lifts. I saw one post saying wonít work due to abs sensor and difference in fork length. Thanks in advance for for input!

Better to buy a headlift stand. Then you'll be able to take off the forks if need be.

You'll need a longer pin for a Strom because of the 19" wheel.

*Don't know if the one I linked would work for a Strom*

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with Spec, in that the head-lift stand is a more practical and more stable way than the stand under the forks, that you are asking about. There are many cheap alternatives / methods of lifting the front wheel for either maintenance or cleaning purposes. These range from bought / DIY stands, props made from scrap from material, motor vehicle jack, a weight on / tying down the rear of the bike while on a center stand, to hoisting the front up via a strap suspended from roof beams, etc. Have you read https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-...new-strom.html or https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...placement.html? There are a few more methods discussed, which can be found via the site search facility.

Last edited by Gert; 06-24-2019 at 04:33 AM.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just remember you cannot lift the front of the bike with one of this style stands unless you have a rear of the bike supported. So if you don't already have a rear paddock stand you'll have to increase you budget.

I'd also suggest getting paddock stands that are quality. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.
Spec and locoblanco like this.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

FYI - determined they work just fine

Wanted to share that - I ended up buying the $45 amazon Venom lift and it works just fine on my 2015 650XT. My main concern was that the ABS mounting point on right fork would prevent "fingers" on lift from safely holding fork. This is not an issue. Nor is minor difference in fork lengths an issue.
I understand the triple tree fork stem lift is needed for fork maintenance. However, if you're only looking for an inexpensive and safe way to remove the front wheel, the $45 venom type stand works as intended and despite obviously being constructed of inexpensive materials, I can't imagine it ever failing when properly used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3823.jpg (404.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3822.jpg (471.7 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.
Be aware if buying a used pitbull front head stand, they changed the design in 2012, (according to the customer service rep I spoke to), in order to accomodate the adventure bikes with larger front wheels. The stand I had been using for years on my SV would not fit far back enough around the wheel to allow the pin to line up on the vstrom.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoward001 View Post
Wanted to share that - I ended up buying the $45 amazon Venom lift and it works just fine on my 2015 650XT. My main concern was that the ABS mounting point on right fork would prevent "fingers" on lift from safely holding fork. This is not an issue. Nor is minor difference in fork lengths an issue.
I understand the triple tree fork stem lift is needed for fork maintenance. However, if you're only looking for an inexpensive and safe way to remove the front wheel, the $45 venom type stand works as intended and despite obviously being constructed of inexpensive materials, I can't imagine it ever failing when properly used.
Thanks for the update. I've had the exact front stand for a few months now but I have not gotten around to using it.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Just remember you cannot lift the front of the bike with one of this style stands unless you have a rear of the bike supported. So if you don't already have a rear paddock stand you'll have to increase you budget.

I'd also suggest getting paddock stands that are quality. PitBull is a very robust brand that will not crumple, fold or bend while you work on you bike. Sure they cost more but you can find them used very reasonably priced.
A center stand works for supporting the rear as well. Just if you have the rear wheel up on the center stand, donít lift the front too much that it puts the rear wheel back on the ground.

If anyone is near New Haven CT, I have an extra set of Pit Bull rear and front (triple tree) stands Iíll sell.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2019, 04:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Matt, a good point wrt the rear wheel tilt hitting the ground while on the center stand. If more clearance is required, placing a suitable blocks of wood under both the rear wheel and center stand (one per). The reason for the wooden spacer under the rear wheel as well, is to make it easier to place the bike on the center stand. Remove the wood from under the back wheel for a greater tilt / more height, to lift the front wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode