Adjust Throttle Assembly Rotation - Hand Pain - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Adjust Throttle Assembly Rotation - Hand Pain

I have a 2016 DL650 and I find that I have to rotate the handlebars back a ways to avoid pain in my left shoulder. Rotating the handlebars and mirrors is easy of course, but an unfortunate side effect is that now I get pain in my throttle hand/wrist because of the new throttle position. In other words, now my hand has to twist from a lower angle to apply the throttle.

Is there any way to rotate the whole throttle assembly forward to compensate for the handlebars being rotated back towards me? On my other bike this is not possible / easy since the throttle assembly is drilled into the bar. Not sure the Strom is the same way but thought I'd ask before I start disassembling it.

2016 V-Strom 650
2017 BMW RnineT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

You can just take a chisel or Dremel and knock the plastic nub off. Not sure how rotating the throttle would solve your problem, as the throttle will still be at the same angle relative to your arm/body. Your solution is either going to be a new bar with different sweep, reach, and rise, or a bar back.
Brockie likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had all sorts of shoulder pain on a 1978 BMW R80. I was doing a lot of cross country riding and I finally got the handle bars just right to eliminate the discomfort.
I also make the adjustment to the grip position so that the hands lay comfortably.
You can loosen the handlebar bolts and try rotating them around along with the grip adjustment. Hopefully you'll get lucky!

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Bikehigh is correct. Would grip puppies or a throttle lock help?
https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Co...s%2C390&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Lyonice-Motor...%2C397&sr=8-26
https://www.amazon.com/KKmoon-Motorc...%2C397&sr=8-17

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Maybe I'm not describing the problem very well.

Because the bars are rotated more towards me, the angle of my hand in relation to my wrist / arm is at a more extreme angle (let's say 80 degrees) when at full throttle, and my elbow is lower. This causes pain in the tendons of the top of my hand from the extreme angle from twisting the throttle over time. I would like to rotate the throttle assembly forward so the position at full throttle would put the hand / wrist angle at a shallower angle, with my elbow higher. Basically, return it to the angle it's at when the bars are further forward, but keeping the bars where they are because that relieves my shoulder pain.

Without any modifications to the bike, my two current options are pain in my shoulder with bars rotated back, or pain in my hand when they rotated forward. Grip puppies and throttle locks are for increasing grip comfort and / or relief from long distance cramping, which are not my current problems.

2016 V-Strom 650
2017 BMW RnineT
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlot View Post
I would like to rotate the throttle assembly forward so the position at full throttle would put the hand / wrist angle at a shallower angle, with my elbow higher. Is there any way to rotate the whole throttle assembly forward to compensate for the handlebars being rotated back towards me?
Yes, you can rotate the right-hand assembly forward. Not as much as you might want, maybe, but yes.
The cables, wires, mirror, handguard and brake reservoir are also going to rotate. [I'm assuming your 2016 /650 is the same]

If you were to lay a straight edge (6" ruler, etc) across the throttle grip and the front brake lever ... you wouldn't want it to be parallel with the floor. Just loosen it up enough to rotate and see if the restrictions are within your needs. If not, then the other choices, as already mentioned, like bar backs or a different handle bar are worth the effort.

This is where a good brick and mortar bike shop becomes your best friend.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #7 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 08:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Because the bars are rotated more towards me, the angle of my hand in relation to my wrist / arm is at a more extreme angle (let's say 80 degrees) when at full throttle, and my elbow is lower. This causes pain in the tendons of the top of my hand from the extreme angle from twisting the throttle over time. I would like to rotate the throttle assembly forward so the position at full throttle would put the hand / wrist angle at a shallower angle, with my elbow higher. Basically, return it to the angle it's at when the bars are further forward, but keeping the bars where they are because that relieves my shoulder pain.

Without any modifications to the bike, my two current options are pain in my shoulder with bars rotated back, or pain in my hand when they rotated forward. Grip puppies and throttle locks are for increasing grip comfort and / or relief from long distance cramping, which are not my current problems.
Being that you can grip the throttle starting anywhere along it's circumference, and can adjust your hand position infinitely from there, I'm not sure how rotating the throttle helps.

If you're saying that your hand is tilted back a bit because the brake lever has been rotated back a few degrees, and your hand never moves after that, then yes rotating the assembly will solve that.
eff likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If I am following this correctly, I would suggest some risers would let you move bars up and back (closer) to you vs. just rotating them towards you. Risers can require brake line or other changes though. Many risers let you maintain the geometry of brake and controls. You can grab the throttle level or even over the top more (it is a cylinder and you can let go of it) but your brake lever is pointing up too much? You could rotate that. I have also developed a more screwdriver like throttle grip which requires you to be closer to the bars with elbows out. All of this is much more subtle than you would think and some small adjustments of the bike (easy) and a conscious effort to change your habits (harder) can really help out.

Good luck and ride safe.

khf000
post #9 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:

Perhaps it's the bend of the bar. The 650 bar has a lot of pullback compared to typical dirt bike type bars.
The farther back you rotate the bars the more you'll need to turn your wrist in. (bar info here)

My solution was to get bars with less pull back and Rox risers. I'm an old dirt bike guy so got a CR High bend bar that I was familiar with. The OEM bars have a lot of rise also so the Rox risers brought the bars up enough. They really help dialing in the position.

An ATV mid or high bar is a popular choice for a Strom. Tusk bars are a good low price option. You may not need the risers with the ATV bend.
richlandrick likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
Being that you can grip the throttle starting anywhere along it's circumference, and can adjust your hand position infinitely from there, I'm not sure how rotating the throttle helps.

If you're saying that your hand is tilted back a bit because the brake lever has been rotated back a few degrees, and your hand never moves after that, then yes rotating the assembly will solve that.
Understood that I can rotate my hand to compensate. But that puts my hand / arm in a slightly awkward and different position. My goal here is to have my hand in the same position and the throttle closed/open positions in relation to my hand, in the same place they are with the bars more forward. It's not the brake lever. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

2016 V-Strom 650
2017 BMW RnineT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode