Prepping a 2012-2016 DL650 for the track? Or should I trade in an get an SV650? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Prepping a 2012-2016 DL650 for the track? Or should I trade in an get an SV650?

The DL650 is my first motorcycle. I've owned it for the five years that I've been riding.

Recently, I had my first track day. I plan on doing that a LOT more.

In five years of ownership, I've also found that I do NOT do a lot of offroading. Despite having Shinko 705s on it, I see little more than gravel and hard packed dirt. Zero water crossings. Zero deep mud.
First things first, is that those Shinkos are gone once I wear the tread off of them and I'll go with a more pavement oriented tire. I think a pavement oriented tire will still handle the dirt and gravel at low speeds.

I'll also probably be going down a tooth on the rear sprocket or up a tooth on the front, as this engine has plenty of torque.

What else can I do to push the V-Strom closer to a street bike? Can I lower it?

Don't get me wrong, I still like my V-Strom's features. The 5 gallon fuel tank gives me HUGE range to travel.
The removable hard cases are great for going places too.
The riding position and ergonomics are very comfortable. I can spend the ENTIRE DAY on the motorcycle and be happy. I don't think I could do that on a sportbike.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Several of my friends have the SV as their track bike. A little suspension work and they are good to go.
I'd imaging the DL would not make as good a track bike as the SV. You could make changes on the DL but it is counter productive trying to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.
An ADV bikes is that. A touring bike capable of long distances and road surfaces. A street bike is less so.
Gert likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

I toured on an SV1000 for a few years and it was great at the time. It was my first modern bike, before I bought it I had only owned 70's and older bikes. I loved it because it was reliable and I could ride all day stress free, compared to a 30+ year old machine that would probably break down at some point on a multi day/multi week trip. I rode it on gravel and forest roads plenty, did 6-800 mile days, and rode it on multi week trips and it was fine for all that.

I don't know if I could go back to touring on it after a few years on the strom, especially with how much trail riding I like to do now, but I wouldn't hesitate to say it's probably more suited for your riding desires. I still have it and every time I ride it it puts a smile on my face.

I have superbike bars on it and lowered Buell pegs which are pretty key to making it an all day machine. I think I would even prefer the superbike bars on the track but I would swap the pegs back.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list

post #4 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Remember, a "track bike" is just that. It is NOT a race bike. While lap times are fun to follow, technique and confidence are the prizes. So, what would it matter if the SV or any other bike was faster? Very little, it would matter!

Instead, you have already answered your question. You find the DL comfortable, and a capable all around bike. The SV is.....less capable all around. Great bike, but the ergonomics are more sport bike tight. Not all that much difference in handling, both need suspension work to do well and both have crappy front brakes.

Yes, good street tires like the Bridgestone T-31 are going to be quiet, sticky, and long lasting on the street. They also do well enough on DRY dirt and gravel roads. Which would work on either bike. The 19" front wheel on the DL is happier on rougher pavement and terrain, yet I have done many miles of gravel on the 17" front wheel of my RT.

I am around several guys that have track bikes. While some take their everyday bike, most have migrated to a cheap track only bike. Buy something already...wrecked for instance. Take the lights off and have fun! As much as we would like to think we won't wreck, the facts are that you are running on your edge of skill on the track and anything can and does happen.
Big B and Cryoman like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Both bikes stock, you'll have more fun ON THE TRACK on the SV and if you put a little money into suspension the SV goes ahead even further. One nice advantage the SV has over the DL is access to more sporty tires... Other advantages to the SV650 are... weight.. SV is around 50 lbs lighter... rider position is also better suited to sport/track riding. If you still intend to do touring, maybe look for a well used gen-1 sv650 as a trackbike and keep the DL as is.
Gert likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #6 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
gen-1 sv650 as a trackbike and keep the DL as is.
Eew. Carburetors.

But I'd like to only own one bike. How's the SV for long distance riding? It's not sporty like a Honda CRB600RR, is it?
post #7 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I read your other post, and it sounds like you have found your (legal) drug of choice, and it is the track. If you can afford it, keep your Strom setup as a commuter/sport tourer. Talk to one of your new buddies at the track, preferably one with gray hair, maybe the one who loaned you his CBR 250, and ask him how you could get into track riding on the cheap.

He probably will know which street legal low CC sport bike would be easy to start with. Heíll probably know what was the coolest bike on the planet 7 years ago, but is really undervalued now. He might be able to tell you which bike(s) to avoid, etc. And he might even know someone who was all excited about track riding, tricked out his bike, and now doesnít ride anymore.

I loved your other post. Iím glad you had such a great time.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
post #8 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 02:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
Eew. Carburetors.

But I'd like to only own one bike. How's the SV for long distance riding? It's not sporty like a Honda CRB600RR, is it?
Well.. Spend a little more and get a fuel injected Gen-2 then.. there's plenty of them out there. Long distance can be done, but not as comfortably as a DL. The SV650S is approximately the same riding position as a 600. If you can find a naked SV650n, the bars are pretty upright, but no windscreen so more fatiguing due to that. Aftermarket windscreens are available, but aren't incredibly effective (or attractive) I've had naked SV650 and SV1000 and did 500+ mile days on them often, but you definitely feel it at the end of the day. If you sink a little money into the suspension, they can handle nearly as well as a supersport. The sv650 engine actually makes a good bit more torque early on so you can actually pull off at the beginning, but you'd get passed back pretty quickly and murdered on top end. If you ever ride 2 up for more than a quick spin around the block, the SV rear seat is pretty lacking as well..

The SV650's in the Twins Cup at Road America were running around 10 seconds per lap slower than the Supersports... and Road America is a long lap by US standards...

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250

Last edited by branthopolis; 06-20-2019 at 02:59 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 05:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just to clarify, are we talking about a road legal bike to be used for street legal riding plus track use or simply looking for a track only bike? I make use of my Wee sometimes on track day, just for the hell of it but as pointed out, the SV650 is a better option.
Here at the track, most of these track bikes are no longer street legal and have a few mods. For track days, perhaps a smaller front wheel on your DL650 (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...onversion.html) and upgrade the cams?
post #10 of 26 Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Just to clarify, are we talking about a road legal bike to be used for street legal riding plus track use or simply looking for a track only bike? I make use of my Wee sometimes on track day, just for the hell of it but as pointed out, the SV650 is a better option.
Here at the track, most of these track bikes are no longer street legal and have a few mods. For track days, perhaps a smaller front wheel on your DL650 (https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...onversion.html) and upgrade the cams?
I'm looking to own ONE motorcycle, as I currently do. It must be road legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode