LED turn signal bulbs - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED turn signal bulbs

Greetings, fellow Strommers...

In an attempt to "downsize" a bit on load (even with the stator recall done and having installed a Roadstercycle R/R), so I can have some additional piece of mind running some heated gear and aux lights, I switched all my lights (including headlights) to LED. For the turn signals, I initially used the round barrel-type bulbs. (I should mention that I have a Kisan signalMinder installed, which runs the turns signals as running lights, and has a timer to shut of the blinkers lest I forget to do so).

After a ride one day, my riding buddy mentioned that my turn signals weren't very bright, and that he felt others might have a hard time noticing them, both as running lights AND flashing as signals.

I looked all over (including search here) for a solution, trying to find something that has a more forward-facing lamp to brighten things up. I stumbled across the Sylvania Zevo Super Bright LEDS, and WOW! WHAT a difference. The standard bulb is 21 watts...the Zeno is 1.7 watts.

So if my figuring is correct, I went from 84 watts to 6.8 watts, a savings of 77.2 watts, which should be MORE than enough to run a heated liner close to high, if needed.

There's actually a less bright Nevo model bulb, but interestingly enough, it pulls more wattage...not much but a bit more. It should be noted that the packaging says, "For Off Road Use Only" but I really doubt I'm gonna get tagged by an LEO with shielded lights. The attached photo has the signal on the left blinking...bright at night, so more than adequate during the daytime.

Just food for thought in case others are looking to do a similar upgrade...I found them at local O'Reilly's and while not cheap ($24.99/pair), they have a 'lifetime guarantee' and are supposed to be rated at 40,000 hours. I haven't been out on the bike (2013 Wee in my case) since doing the upgrade but I think the results will be more than satisfactory...
Attached Images
File Type: png barrel_LED.PNG (58.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: png LED.PNG (68.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 20190613_212759.jpg (240.9 KB, 23 views)
itlives and DesertBike like this.

Bendmac/Central Oregon

2013 Wee Adv...

EnduroGuardian bash plate/highway pegs/radiator guard;
AdventureTech LLC peg lowering mounts/mirror extenders/fork brace/shifter relocation kit, 2" extended front brake line;
Saddleman Gel-Channel Tech seat;
Barkbuster Storm hand guards;
Oxford heated grips;
Blue Seas 5025 6 circuit fuse block;
12v weatherproof power port;
Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit;
Cree LED lights;
Signal Dynamics voltage monitor;
Kisan signalMinder
PWD Stebel horn kit;
"Home grown" tool tube;
"Sasquatched" (Adventure Power Sports) rear shock
Madstad bracket and 22" screen
Roadstercycle SH775 R/R upgrade
SW-Motech bar risers
Mr. Ed's Moto custom seat
Superbright LED headlight bulbs and other bulbs converted to LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info. When installed in the indicator housing, which direction do the LED's face? Directly out of the housing or what direction?
DesertBike likes this.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Thanks for the info. When installed in the indicator housing, which direction do the LED's face? Directly out of the housing or what direction?
I had a similar looking set from https://www.superbrightleds.com installed in my ZX11. The light come from the individual led's arrayed around the housing, as well as on the top. mounted horizontally as they are in a turn signal housing the light shines directly out the front, reflected off the back of the housing and out the side from the top led's I can't speak to th O'Rilie's, but the Superbrights were very bright and visible for 180º.
DesertBike likes this.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...

post #4 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Neato, thanks for posting. I've contemplated replacing all the turn signal bulbs on my 2007 Vee with LED retrofits.

Already went to LED headlamps, last winter. Massive power savings right off, needed because I had added a heated jacket liner to my cold-weather setup. Alongside heated gloves and grips, it was all just drawing too much power.

With turn signals, my nagging concern is the directionality of the light from LED retrofit bulbs. Or rather, the possible lack thereof.

The stock 2007 Vee turn signal housings have no reflectors, but the lenses are designed with the non-directional brightness of incandescent bulbs in mind. I'm not sure whether the LED retrofit bulbs would work right in those housings. If they're too directional, which LEDs tend to be by nature, the off-axis brightness could be poorer than with the original bulbs.

Do the Zevo bulbs address that issue adequately, in your opinion?

2007 Vee
post #5 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

For your style indicator I would get something like this:
https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/56...onet-bulb.html
I had them in my WEE and it was a huge improvement, even though I had al foil reflectors in mine already before.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Adding reflectors to the turn signal housings sounds good. Some have used pieces of roof flashing, appropriately bent. If I can locate pieces of suitable sheet metal, I may go that route.

After bulbs, the other part of the LED retrofit equation is preventing/eliminating fast-flash. OP, did you pop in an LED-compatible turn signal flasher, use inline load resistors, or does your SignalMinder handle that somehow?

I would probably get the LED-compatible flasher. I feel like the load resistors would largely defeat the purpose of switching to LEDs.

2007 Vee
post #7 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
Adding reflectors to the turn signal housings sounds good. Some have used pieces of roof flashing, appropriately bent. If I can locate pieces of suitable sheet metal, I may go that route.

Traditionally people have used aluminized tape and stuck it inside the Turn Signal Housing. No worries about it getting loose and wrecking things and simple and easy to do. I'm sure reflective tape would also work well.

..Tom
Motorpsychology likes this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 185,000+ km, 115,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Try lining the inside housing with this reflective tape. https://www.amazon.com/High-Intensit...ateway&sr=8-10
Once on a 24 hour 1,000 mile rally our group put a square of this, and red, on the back of our helmets so that we could easily identify the members of our group at night from the other riders. It worked brilliantly.
Motorpsychology likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #9 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a number of times used alfoil BBQ trays as reflectors,

They are tough enough that when formed into a shape they stay in shape so they don't move around, "it is never be possible for it to come in contact with positive side of the system"

When I fitted a LED headlight globe to my V2 I thought it made my front indicators hard to see so I fitted a pair of Barkbusters LED indicator lights.

They gave me the extra width I was looking for.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post

After bulbs, the other part of the LED retrofit equation is preventing/eliminating fast-flash. OP, did you pop in an LED-compatible turn signal flasher, use inline load resistors, or does your SignalMinder handle that somehow?

I would probably get the LED-compatible flasher. I feel like the load resistors would largely defeat the purpose of switching to LEDs.
The 6 ohm resistors are necessary to reduce the current, not voltage. The flasher is designed to operate with a certain load. That is why a a burned out incandescent lamp will make the rest blink faster or not at all. LEDs operate at lower current, so the resistors or load compensator "fools" the flasher into thinking there is a higher load present.
I used a plug 'n' play Kuryakyn compensator on my ZX11. Splices right into the flasher circuit easy-peasy. compared to adding resistors at each lamp.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode