More Comfortable Seat - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 Old 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

For a little variety and some versatility:
Check out some offerings from the crowd who coined the term "saddle sores".
https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Sadd...e-ENDCOMF.html

Also, the sailplane folks sell blanks of endurance foam. The seat on my SV has three layers of different density foam. Stock pan, stock foam on the bottom (cut down and widened at the sit-bones using the removed stock foam) Next up was two layers of the endurance foam firm. About 3" of firm and on top less firm, about 1". The cover is made from vinyl with some traction like a dirt bike. He used the stock cover as a starter pattern in order to keep the original front tapper and tank contact yet accommodate the wider butt patch and for me an extra 2" height.

I bought the sailplane foam. I had a North Bay go-to-guy do the work. He does collector cars and bikes. He also inlaid some vertical, equi-spaced stiff foam in the sides to support the wider butt patch. Sorta like rubber 2x4s... It ended up costing about $120 USD in 2013. It looks showroom and I have done a number of 900-1000 mile days on that 650, ez/pz.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Here you go and you're welcome, they must REALLY work as they are very popular for V-Strom owners.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIT-N-FLY-c...frcectupt=true
Thanks for the link, @Big B ! I just ordered one for $25. Worth a shot at that price.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #33 of 43 Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hey Pete,

Where did you source a Sit N Fly in Australia? Did you just buy from their US Ebay store or get one from a local supplier?

Cheers,

Dave

post #34 of 43 Old 06-13-2019, 03:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Hey Pete,

Where did you source a Sit N Fly in Australia? Did you just buy from their US Ebay store or get one from a local supplier?

Cheers,

Dave
as far as I know E-bay only. The guy is shipping from Israel.
post #35 of 43 Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

eBay. As noted he's shipping from Israel, I think he he tried moving manufacture to Vietnam but I don't think it worked out.

There are copies, do your best to get the real thing because there is a difference.

I've had one for around 5 years, no real signs of wear, still very comfortable.
post #36 of 43 Old 06-14-2019, 05:41 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I got Lamb's Wool cover and cut Foam Rubber out to make 2in higher and touch wider.
Best upgrade ever, I can ride 10 - 12 hours in a day comfortable.
Cost was 25 dollars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190606_085600_1560505032041.jpg (2.27 MB, 21 views)
post #37 of 43 Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I just found the "Sheepy Hollow Sheepskin Seat Pad"
https://www.etsy.com/listing/5048041...ge_type=market

Has anyone tried it and if so what ya think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheepy Hollow Seat Cover.jpg (127.6 KB, 3 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #38 of 43 Old 06-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Sit & Fly Seat Cover

I ordered one of these after @Big B posted a link to the seller's eBay store. I placed my order June 12th and it arrived today! I just installed it and rode the two mile round trip on residential streets to the post office.
Installation was easy, it took me about 15 mn, and I'm not too good with fabric stuff; making the bed is challenging.
It attaches with two rip-stick straps and an elastic band underneath the seat. After stretching, kneading, rolling it into place and tighting the straps, it follows the contour of the stock seat exactly with no crookedness or wrinkles/bulges etc. It is pliable, not like sitting on chainmail, and slightly less firm than sitting on the bare stock seat, but firm enough to allow for ventilation. Be mindful of where the straps are so that thy don't interfere with the front tangs and lock mechanism. The seat locks down harder than without it, but not difficult or straining the latch.
I think I'm going to enjoy it, and if not, it comes off even easier and I'm out $24.99US.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13308538196...m=133085381968
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3449.jpg (619.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3450.jpg (756.2 KB, 9 views)

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...

Last edited by Motorpsychology; 06-14-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added seller's link
post #39 of 43 Old 06-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Great - thanks guys. I'll contact him via eBay.

Cheers!
Motorpsychology likes this.
post #40 of 43 Old 06-15-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thnkas again for all the replies.

Grey Ghost mentions adding 2" foam rubber and a sheepskin pad for $10-$12. I'm am curious about this options. Where did you get the foam rubber and do you know the density as I know foam comes in all kinds of firmness/sofness. Also, I am curious if you just put foam over top of the seat. Your picture looks like it is flat on top an was wondering if you cut or shaped the bottom of the foam so it would sit in the natural dip of the seat or did any shaping on the top side also. Lastly, curious where you got the sheepskin and what size (and how you attached it). For $10-$12 this is a cheap fix if it included the foam and the sheepskin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode