Front brake lever not rebounding - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Front brake lever not rebounding

This season I've noticed a problem with my front brake lever that seems to be getting progressively worse.

When I apply the brake and then release it, there's a pause before the lever rebounds to it's original position.

The only work I've done on the front brakes is installing speed bleeders and replacing the fluid over the winter. After a few weeks of riding this season, I noticed the problem and redid the brake bleed, thinking maybe I let some air into the system. That improved the situation for a little while, but it's started getting worse again. Now it's to the point where I have to manually push the lever back into place after braking. The brakes, however, appear to be working fine.

Additionally, my ABS light has been going on and off for a couple of weeks, and it's been continually on for about a week now. I don't know if these are related, but thought it was worth mentioning.

All ideas welcome.

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 09:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

The area around the front sprocket fills up with sludge. Take the cover off, clean the area up and most likely the problems will go away.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-31-2019, 10:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Lube the lever pivot and where the lever contacts the master cylinder piston.

Has your ABS still be working when the light was out?

The ABS sensors do collect crud and at times that may impede proper signal. Take them out (8mm socket) and clean the surface that looks towards the ABS ring. See if that helps.

Do you run stock size tires or any non stock dimension tires by any chance? The ABS does not like that.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm not sure what "front sprocket" refers to -- any clarification?

The ABS is not functioning when the light is on. I did check the ABS sensors and they seemed OK, but I did try to clean them off anyway.

I swapped stock Trailwings for Shinko 705s a couple of years ago. That hasn't had any impact on ABS before the last 1-2 months.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Remove, clean and lube the brake lever. And the actuator part of the master cylinder. Ensure that the lever moves freely after you reinstall it. The speed bleeders should make no difference, nor should removing the countershaft sprocket cover and cleaning that gunk out.
Clean the brake disks with brakeclean, and as blaustrom says, inspect and clean the ABS sensor and the ABS ring.
If the brake lever still binds, remove and inspect the brake pads.
richlandrick and Pepe lopez like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #6 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

The problem is with the leaver or the master cylinder. (MC)

The callipers, discs & ABS should play no part in the return of the MC plunger/piston assembly.

The return spring in the MC should have enough force to have the leaver return to it's original position.

Over time the leaver and the pivot pin will wear down, have a good look at both it could be time to replace them, the hole in the leaver and the pin will become oval not round.

There is a rubber boot covering the MC plunger/piston where the leaver meets the plunger/piston, ensure it is in good condition and sliding well so as not to limit the plunger returning.

If you still have the problem there is a return fluid port in the MC, this is to allow the pressurised fluid to return to the MC when the you release the leaver, there could be crud built up and restricting the ports.

If you had a reason to change the fluid in the first place like poor brake performance it could all be linked back to the condition of the MC.
blaustrom likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-01-2019, 11:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
I'm not sure what "front sprocket" refers to -- any clarification?

The ABS is not functioning when the light is on. I did check the ABS sensors and they seemed OK, but I did try to clean them off anyway.

I swapped stock Trailwings for Shinko 705s a couple of years ago. That hasn't had any impact on ABS before the last 1-2 months.
Sorry, I thought you were talking clutch.

Front, pull the calipers and clean the area between the pistons and the caliper.

Here they use a very fine gravel on new seal and creates little hard centered balls of tar than get stuck in that gap. Personally I use a small screwdriver and work it around being careful not to poke the seals or scratch either surface.

However the ABS not working is not a good sign. I've had issues with the ABS, getting the brakes working as well as I could then doing a LOT of hard skiddy stops on wet grass got the ABS functional once more.
richlandrick likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

As above, check the caliper carefully. Make sure it moves easily in and out smoothly. Clean and lightly grease the boot and pin. Check the disk as well. A caliper that is no longer moving in and out freely will result in rapid pad and disk wear. It happened to me recently on a different vehicle. I replaced the discs and pads only to have the bound up calipler ruin the new disc and pads. All this is a good idea as general maintenance when replacing pads.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm looking to check the master cylinder and brake lever this week. Is this something I can do with everything still in place, or is this more in line with a MC rebuild (something I've done before)?

Also, on a somewhat related note -- how do I know if I have stainless brake lines or not?

post #10 of 14 Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
I'm looking to check the master cylinder and brake lever this week. Is this something I can do with everything still in place, or is this more in line with a MC rebuild (something I've done before)?

Also, on a somewhat related note -- how do I know if I have stainless brake lines or not?
It's most likely just the brake lever pivot needing lube, so do that before anything else.

On the brake lines, just look at them. Are they rubber or braided stainless steel?

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode