Is there a "severe" maintenance schedule for a 2012 DL650? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Is there a "severe" maintenance schedule for a 2012 DL650?

I have ridden a 2012 "glee-strom" since Jan 2012, now on ~32,000 miles (it's been far less ridden in the past 2-3 years as before), with a lot of city commuting time on it (rather than miles ridden).

I recently toyed with the idea of trading this bike in for a Triumph Bonneville T120, but decided against it, because this bike still scratches all my itches.

Still, the Triumph dealer's mechanical evaluation of my bike for trade-in mentioned two wear/tear things they'd have to do off the bat, that I should do myself: I need a new chain/sprockets, and new steering bearings.

I hadn't noticed due to it happening gradually over time, but the steering settles or catches in the forward centered position. This is apparently common for "high mileage street bikes". (The dealer mech immediately commented on how I must do a lot of city riding, "because your gear shift toe's rubber cover is worn down to almost nothing - we see this all the time", LOL)

Similarly for the chain/sprockets. They don't have the classic "shark-toothed" look of worn sprockets; the chain is kind of slack (I was thinking of adjusting it more), but not rusted out or strechy looking.

The chain has been maintained with dry wax chainsaver lube with every fill-up or every other fill-up. But it was (and still is) my first ever bike with a chain, so I don't really have a feel/eye for what it would look like to need replacing. I trust they're right at 7.5 years and 32,000 miles.

So with that feedback, what else should I be thinking of or looking at replacing, to keep my bike in tip-top shape? My maintenance has been mostly twice a year oil/filter changes, and every other year (or three...) on the brake fluid and coolant flush. Brake pads replaced fairly often (due to all the city riding).

Fork oil, I have had changed once.

I've had the headlight bulb go out and replaced, as well.

And, I think that's all that's happened with this bike!

- Spark plugs? I've changed them out once before already as part of some kind of major servicing schedule in the manual that I no longer have. But it was a while ago.

- Fork springs? The bike doesn't feel like it handles poorly, but like the steering bearings, this would be the sort of thing that will degrade incrementally and I won't notice with day to day riding (especially without another bike to compare it to).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
All the things you mentioned are indeed normal wear items, but the change interval for most will vary depending on how hard you ride. Just have to inspect and replace as necessary.
Brake fluid is a bit different though. It will degrade over time even if the bike is not ridden, so 2 yrs is the recommendation.
A chain can look good, but still be worn out. As each individual pin wears the chain will become longer, what most people call "streched". Think about .001" wear on each pin, multiplied by 118 links. If you can pull the chain back from the center of the rear sprocket and see a couple mm of daylight, it's time. Replace chain and both sprockets as a set.
The steering head bearings will develop a flat spot in the center, as the steering spends nearly all of it's time pointing straight ahead and takes a beating with every bump, but at 32000 you may be able to get away with cleaning and fresh grease.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2019, 10:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Electrical connections. Clean your start switch and put some dielectric grease in there. (Had mine burn out on me.). Also checking any plugs and switched that are exposed to water and road crud is a good idea.

Other then what else is mentioned. These bikes hold up pretty damn good over heavy use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reverend Unstable Boy
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevUnstableBoy

https://www.facebook.com/RevUnstableBoy

post #4 of 7 Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 AM
$tromtrooper

Valve check(Adjustment)? At 32K its long over due.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2old View Post
Valve check(Adjustment)? At 32K its long over due.

Thanks for the tip!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The Suzuki Blue coolant is a 4 year coolant. Valves at 14,500, though mine were ok at 24k miles. Air filter.

At about 24k I did valves, plugs, coolant, air filter, flushed brakes again, brake pads all the way around (didnít need them - YMMV). After that my mileage jumped about 4-5 mpg. I consistently getting in the low to mid 60ís on my commute. Previously, I was in the mid to high 50ís on the commute.

The valves were ok, but we adjusted them to mid range. I guess that the plugs or the air filter affected the fuel economy. I did chain and sprockets a little before that.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
post #7 of 7 Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

"Valve check(Adjustment)? At 32K its long over due."

I got the Wee with 23K miles and finally checked the valves at 80K miles. they were still in spec except one that the mechanic changed.
You can check them but if in spec not needing anything.
Sticklers will go by the book but the bike will run long after you have lost the manual.
Well, mine does anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode