Headlight troubleshooting tips - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By dravnx
  • 1 Post By Big B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Headlight troubleshooting tips

Long time no see folks, but a weekend of maintenance attempts naturally drove me back to the forums in search of confidence...

I successfully changed my own front tire (yay me), however my goal of a full fork job was stymied by the lock tight situation on the front fender. Thanks to the forum for the sticky on that, I wish I had visited here before I got out the wrenches. I’ll be attacking it with drills and vice grips as needed once I get a free weekend.

Now, after a successful patriot ride this weekend, my headlights are dead this morning. Running lights are still working, but no headlamps or brights. I knew this was a relay issue on the older wees, but was hoping to get some common sense advice on troubleshooting this.

So to recap, dead headlamps, tiny running lights working fine, no other electrical issues that I can find...I’m a 2012 dL-650A with about 63k miles. Where do I look first (and if there’s a thread on this feel free to send me that way).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 AM
$tromtrooper

lack of relay is the issue. Type 'headlight problems' in the google search box and you will find the information to a common problem many report. Once you have the problem fixed installing a headlight relay can prevent a recurrence.

14 tooth for me
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Check in right push start switch box first and foremost, expect to see burned out contacts. Main wire loom down by the radiator is also another, lots of great info here and even a sticky thread for this issue.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2019, 11:38 AM
$tromtrooper

2 places to look. Take the start switch apart and make sure the contacts are not burned up. There are 4 contacts within the switch, 2 normally closed contacts for the headlight and 2 normally open contacts for the start relay. The headlight side of the switch is a normally closed set of contacts that open and remove power to the headlights when the start button is engaged. The headlight contacts will become oxidized, the resistance will increase and burn up the contacts. You can either install a relay to prevent this or you can disassemble the switch once in a while and clean the contacts. Be careful taking the switch apart. There are small parts in there. Take pictures and be careful. It's not hard just fiddly. I make cleaning the switch part of the valve clearance check. There is also a large white connector just aft of the radiator. You have to pull the gas tank to access it (I think, it's been a while). The headlight wiring goes through there and if the contacts become oxidized, they can overheat and burn up.
UnstableBoy likes this.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

All: wanted to circle back and update on this...

The concept of taking apart the right side assembly to diagnose this issue was daunting, but honestly I was surprised to find that I was in there, contacts fully cleaned, reassembled, and moving in under a half hour.

Thanks for the moral support and technical guidance!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Awesome, now be sure to install some headlight relays from Eastern Beaver and never worry about it again.
Hatchi likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2019, 11:39 AM
$tromtrooper

what Big B says as other issues beside starter switch issues have been reported as well. I recall posts that mentioned burnt connectors in the circuit.

14 tooth for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlights 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode