Spoked wheel losing air DL650 XT - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes
  • 3 Post By Motor7
  • 3 Post By Berksglh
  • 1 Post By Fynlcut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Spoked wheel losing air DL650 XT

Hi,

Recently bought a used 2015 model DL650 XT with spoked tubeless wheels. Front tyre is losing air. I have already taken out valve core and cleaned. Cannot see any knocks on rim, looks all pretty good. No holes in tyre?

Any ideas where it could come from or how to find leak?

Last edited by p38arover; 05-16-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franconian View Post
Hi,

Recently bought a used 2015 model DL650 XT with spoked tubeless wheels. Front tyre is loosing air. I have already taken out valve core and cleaned. Cannot see any knocks on rim, looks all pretty good. No holes in tyre?

Any ideas where it could come from or how to find leak?
If the wheel is off the bike, submerse the wheel and tire to the level of the spoke nipples. Rotate the wheel slowly looking for air bubbles rising. Alternatively, fill a spray bottle with a soap & water solution and spray the tire in small areas, looking for telltale bubbles emanating from the leak. Locating a leak coming from the spoke nipples may be more difficult to pinpoint this way, however. But the leak is more likely to be in the tire carcass or rim-bead contact area.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
$tromtrooper

The DL spokes do not penetrate the rim/tire cavity. The spokes attach to a vertical fin that is part of the rim. Ruling out spokes, that leaves the tire or the valve stem.

MP is right, easiest way is to submerge the tire and rim to find the leak. Have a tire plug on hand and it's an easy fix.

If you have metal valve stems, I have found that due to the fin, the stem hole is not a flat surface which has given me an intermittent leak.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Dont overlook the tire bead. I have same spoked tubeless rim on rear of my trials bike.

If any dirt worked its way between tire and rim while low PSI offroad, it will leak untill you remove and clean tire and rim.

If someone dammaged the ture bead spooning it,on,or off at one time, it may never be air tight, but you can try a bead sealer on tire and lube up goot when mounting and seating. On a 2 wheeled bike, if bead is bad, I would just replace tire.

Air it up and dunk in water, lok for bubbles. If slow, it may be 1 small bubble every 5 seconds.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is one last thing to consider. Let's assume the wheel rim was formed from straight bar stock, bent into a hoop, and welded. (Or, maybe the rim is cast metal.) Maybe it is an imperfect weld, and air is escaping from the weld. Or if a cast rim, air leaking from a casting imperfection.

I mention this because I rebalanced my front wheel a couple days ago. As it slowly spun on the balancer jig, at a spot across the diameter from the valve stem I saw what appeared to be a slightly blemished spot, like what is left over after a grinder cleans and shapes a weld. Highly unlikely leak location, but not impossible. This weld joint, if this is what it is, should be visible on the inner face of the rim when the tire is off.

Air leak locations- valve stem and stem mounting, tire carcass, tire bead/rim seating, and the rim itself.

Steve.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Soapy water.
Spray the whole thing. (Get it good and soaked)
Look for any obvious bubbles. Generally the faster the leak, the bigger the bubbles will form and the easier they are to see.
If you see nothing, wait 5 minutes.
Look again. At this point the bubbles will probably be more of a foamy pile of tiny bubbles.

If nothing, rotate the wheel 90 degrees and start over.
Berksglh likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 AM
$tromtrooper

Three an 4 spoke wheels are all cast aluminium. The true multi spoke wheels are extruded aluminium.

'15 DL650XT
post #8 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Multi spoke, extruded. So there will be a weld joint, correct?

Steve.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 06:41 AM
$tromtrooper

Yes correct.

'15 DL650XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode