I broke something with my clutch ... HELP - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I broke something with my clutch ... HELP

So, some years ago someone knocked over my glee-strom in a parking lot, onto the left side. The hand guards took the brunt of most of the fall, but my clutch lever has been a little wobbly since then, with vertical play that I just kind of lived with. I figured it was either the lever being a little bent, or the housing (surrounding two holes) being a little stretched.

So today, I figured I'd had enough of that. I removed the left hand guard, removed the clutch lever, and put in a new lever. It still had vertical play. I took that out, and used a pair of pliers to true up the bolt holes that line up for the clutch lever, and reassembled it. That did the trick, the lever no longer had play.

I reassembled my hand guard and took it for a test ride around the block. Immediately, I noticed the lever pull seemed tighter (harder to pull than before), and the bite point to engage a gear was way, way late. I didn't remember changing the clutch cable tightness, but maybe something about just swapping in a new lever had done it.

I went home to adjust the clutch cable, and downshifted to first gear as I rode up my driveway... And... Ka-chunk! My gear shift foot lever just came free!

Well now there was no changing gears at all. I had to pull in the clutch to power walk the bike around, and then leave it in first gear in my garage.

I'm pretty sure these two pieces are supposed to be attached. Did I shear off a bolt somehow? I don't see how they're supposed to join.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-05-11 14.15.09.jpg (345.6 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by robardin; 05-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So looking at this Suzuki part diagram,

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem.../gear-shifting

this is #27 (Arm, Gear Shift Link), 25520-27G00 ... and I've sheared it off somehow.

What I can't tell is how I'm supposed to remove it with bolt #36, I don't see any kind of a head that I could use to pull it out. Nor how it's supposed to attach to #34, "nut".
post #3 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Part is broken. Loosen the jam nut (34) on that end of the shift rod and the piece in your hand will rotate right off. Remove the bolt (36) at the bottom of the other half.. Fully remove the bolt as it rides in a channel on the spline, and that part will slide right off. Search on Ebay for a cheap used replacement or purchase new (27) from a Dealer.. Replacement is easy as pie, repair of the broken part not easily done....
K9 Wee likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250

Last edited by branthopolis; 05-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, a forum search found this which sounds/looks exactly like what happened to me:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...le-riding.html

Now, after I fix this, I guess I need to adjust my clutch cable for the bite point weirdness? Seems suspicious that the same time as that, my shift link arm snaps, too.

It's not like did a super hard shift, either, I wouldn't say, though it did refuse to shift down and stayed in neutral despite several taps before just coming off (while downshifting into first, or else I'd have had to walk the bike up my driveway).
post #5 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Not saying its what caused this, but if it has been many years on the bike, now might be a good time to lube or install a new clutch cable if your clutch has a weird bite point/feel...

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #6 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
Not saying its what caused this, but if it has been many years on the bike, now might be a good time to lube or install a new clutch cable if your clutch has a weird bite point/feel...
It didn't before I changed the lever, I figure I must have accidentally adjusted it somehow in tugging on it to put in the new lever.

Any good aftermarket clutch cables for this bike? I put in a motion pro one on my Vulcan 750 years ago, but this bike (a 2012 DL650) is still on its original cable. It's been lubed though, and only at around 35,000 miles (I haven't ridden as much in the past 2-3 years but hope to start riding more again).
post #7 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
It didn't before I changed the lever, I figure I must have accidentally adjusted it somehow in tugging on it to put in the new lever.

Any good aftermarket clutch cables for this bike? I put in a motion pro one on my Vulcan 750 years ago, but this bike (a 2012 DL650) is still on its original cable. It's been lubed though, and only at around 35,000 miles (I haven't ridden as much in the past 2-3 years but hope to start riding more again).
If it still moves freely, isn't kinked or frayed anywhere, and has been lubed periodically, it's probably fine.. Many people just don't pay any attention to them at all until they fail...

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #8 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

On stuff like this, that could leave you broke down, I would get the parts from Suzuki.

There are 2 adjustments on a cable clutch. One is done at the motor to set the free-play for the clutch push rod and should be done first. The second is to get the free play correct on the cable. I have no explanation for the timing, except crap like that happens to me also.
Big B and Makonasson like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #9 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
On stuff like this, that could leave you broke down, I would get the parts from Suzuki.

There are 2 adjustments on a cable clutch. One is done at the motor to set the free-play for the clutch push rod and should be done first. The second is to get the free play correct on the cable. I have no explanation for the timing, except crap like that happens to me also.
Yeah, I have only ever adjusted the free play at the top of the cable near where it attaches to the lever, and I don't think I've adjusted it on the v-strom except maybe a bit the first time I got it to where I like it.

Hopefully this part replacement is simple, I just wish I wasnt losing riding time just when the weather finally got nice! I was about to change my oil, too!
Big B and STCorndog like this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-11-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
I reassembled my hand guard and took it for a test ride around the block. Immediately, I noticed the lever pull seemed tighter (harder to pull than before), and the bite point to engage a gear was way, way late. I didn't remember changing the clutch cable tightness, but maybe something about just swapping in a new lever had done it.

I went home to adjust the clutch cable, and downshifted to first gear as I rode up my driveway... And... Ka-chunk! My gear shift foot lever just came free!
I have never been able to replace a clutch lever without first winding in the adjuster to lengthen the cable free play. Could you have wound the adjuster in, and then not wound it back out to the correct lever free play? Did you check lever free play after installing the new lever?
The dragging clutch might have caused you to put far more force than usual on the gear shift lever. It is a very unusual part to break.
Big B likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode