3D Printed Farkle? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
3D Printed Farkle?

I was watching a video of some hacky mods a guy had added (mostly in regards to wind deflection) and I thought "Gee, that could easily be printed... I can't be the first person to think of this." Do we have other users who have found some decent prints?

The only thing I've seriously considered printing so far is an extension flap for my Barkbusters - the 30F temps here in the PNW are not quite comfortable as-is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a printed kickstand foot plate. Actually I have a couple.
The initial one that I installed a while ago. Just notices the tip broke and the top plate has cracked in multiple places. Probably from riding around in freezing temps all winter.
I just picked up 2 new ones from different materials. I know one is nylon, I forget what the 2nd one is. Could be the same stuff the original one was.

If you find any other cool printed farkle, let me know.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I can think of a few things that a 3D printer might be good for using ABS or nylon feedstock.

For example, a perch for an auxiliary light switch that attaches to the handlebar inboard of the mirror perch. It would attached to the handlebar like any other clamp (e.g., mirror perch) and the extend a flat surface over for convenient operation by your thumb without removing you hand from the handlebar. I made mine from aluminum, but ABS would work fine.

A switch box for housing rocker or toggle switches that would mount on top of the master cylinder cover.

Once you become proficient with the design software I'm sure a bunch of things will come to mind.
jinkside and NVDucati like this.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

I 3d printed a simple & crude switch mount for heated gear. I didn't want to take the time to properly measure & design, so most of the fitting will be done with a crosscut file.
richlandrick and jinkside like this.

Blue Wee K4, K1100 w/ Ural hack, 2013 Glee (hers)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkside View Post
…. The only thing I've seriously considered printing so far is an extension flap for my Barkbusters - the 30F temps here in the PNW are not quite comfortable as-is.
Get a pair of these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...m-handguards-p

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
I can think of a few things that a 3D printer might be good for using ABS or nylon feedstock.

For example, a perch for an auxiliary light switch that attaches to the handlebar inboard of the mirror perch. It would attached to the handlebar like any other clamp (e.g., mirror perch) and the extend a flat surface over for convenient operation by your thumb without removing you hand from the handlebar. I made mine from aluminum, but ABS would work fine.

A switch box for housing rocker or toggle switches that would mount on top of the master cylinder cover.

Once you become proficient with the design software I'm sure a bunch of things will come to mind.
Good point about the hydraulic reservoirs being valuable and under utilized real estate.
As for the drawings, there are hundreds (thousands) of free drawing libraries online.
This is a great starting place for metal additive printing for strong brackets, etc.
https://www.metal-am.com/introductio...d-3d-printing/
richlandrick likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I can't help but believe everything they are saying about the future of additive metal manufacturing is true. Well, most of it anyway.

It wasn't that long ago that Yamaha patented a process of metal injection that used vacuum to insure metal got into all the voids of the mold. No need for that with 3D printing. The material goes where you want it. It would be nice if software were available to do that really hard part. Deciding how much metal you need where for the stresses involved. I imagine a lot of things could become quite a bit lighter and more reliable.

Speaking of lighter. Isn't it amazing how much airplanes cost considering how simple they are? I sure would like to print myself a 200 mph 4 gph airplane with a 48" wide cockpit and room for four standard sized americans that can land at 40 mph in 700 to 800 feet. Man that would be nice.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:

ABS is a pain to print with, but PETG has very similar mechanical properties while being much less of a diva to work with: it doesn't warp, it doesn't emit headache-inducing, mildly toxic fumes, and it has basically the same strength.

Do you have a picture of the perch you're describing?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
I can't help but believe everything they are saying about the future of additive metal manufacturing is true. Well, most of it anyway.

It wasn't that long ago that Yamaha patented a process of metal injection that used vacuum to insure metal got into all the voids of the mold. No need for that with 3D printing. The material goes where you want it. It would be nice if software were available to do that really hard part. Deciding how much metal you need where for the stresses involved. I imagine a lot of things could become quite a bit lighter and more reliable.

Speaking of lighter. Isn't it amazing how much airplanes cost considering how simple they are? I sure would like to print myself a 200 mph 4 gph airplane with a 48" wide cockpit and room for four standard sized americans that can land at 40 mph in 700 to 800 feet. Man that would be nice.
For printed parts that are made of metal and not on multi-million dollar machines, you can print a mold and pour your metal of choice in its place with standard investment casting techniques. There are some companies in the PNW that do this for aerospace parts, then they simply mill the places that need extra tolerances beyond what sand casting provides.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
I have a printed kickstand foot plate. Actually I have a couple.
The initial one that I installed a while ago. Just notices the tip broke and the top plate has cracked in multiple places. Probably from riding around in freezing temps all winter.
I just picked up 2 new ones from different materials. I know one is nylon, I forget what the 2nd one is. Could be the same stuff the original one was.

If you find any other cool printed farkle, let me know.
You know, the kickstand foot plate is the one thing I've been meaning to make. I'd completely expect PLA to crack pretty quickly, even at 100% infill, but I suspect PETG printed at high temps for extra layer bonding would stand up to it just fine. I have an injection molded one that lives where I park my bike that I bought probably 10 years ago now, or I'dve already done this. Might yet do it for my human-powered cycle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3d printing , farkle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode