Hello and very short question. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By DonOhio45813

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Hello and very short question.

Hi to all :]
Recently i bouth VStrom DL650 2014 ,planning long journey in next few weeks.
Since i got the bike smth was not right with chain or engine,feeling gently pull and loos on first gears.
Gladly i think i figure out what was the issue,one or two chain link sized/jammed,(almost sure this was re-selling agency fault,one allen nut is turn etc.)so i went for new chain x-ring type(sprockets all just fine,no need to change),and here is the question:This linked below will fit to my Vstrom ?

Found on UK eBay "JT-X-Ring-Motorcycle-Chain-525X1R-118-fits-Suzuki-DL650-A-V-Strom-ABS-12"

Ps:There is 12 on the end of transaction description,i assume its mine 2012 an UP,any help for newbee ?
Ps2:If its not in right place,please delete it or shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

That chain fits according to the check I ran on the PN. Chains can last a long time - even the stock chain should last 20,000 miles. The chain just might have been out of adjustment. Make sure you get it adjusted right and test it for 20 miles or so before the trip. I like to carry a liquid oil while traveling and oil the chain every other tankful will getting gas. If you take good care of your chain (no need to wash it, just lube) it can last over 30,000 miles and I have heard even longer. Good Luck

2013 DL650
1996 K1100LT
2008 DL650 (sold)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You say that one or two links in your chain are jammed, and if that is the case you should replace it.
I would add that it is generally accepted that if your chain needs to be replaced that you should also replace both sprockets as well. If the sprockets are at all worn they will immediately start to stretch the chain to a premature end.
It would appear that the previous owner may not have kept the chain correctly oiled. How many kms/miles has your bike done?
p.s. I do not understand your statement "one allen nut is turn etc."
Hatchi likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2019, 11:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Either the chain does not need replacement, just lubrication, or if its worn your front sprocket will for sure be worn as well. You should then replace the full set!

Test the chain at the rear sprocket at the 3 o clock position, trying to lift it off the sprocket pulling away from the sprocket. If it lifts off enough so you can look through, 5-10mm, the chain is done. Especially for a longer trip, if in doubt, change it. It will cost you a lot more if you have to replace the chain on the road!! Worst case, if it breaks it can destroy your engine housing.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #5 of 6 Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

I did a search and found the item, from the UK. If it's the same seller, it says $43.97 shipping? Yikes!! Gotta watch shipping charges on EBay.

You usually get a better deal if you get the sprockets and chain as a package deal. The one below, includes the sprockets for about the same as your link. BUT, it's in the U.S.......and I'm guessing you aren't?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DL65...ox!45813!US!-1
Brockie likes this.

Last edited by DonOhio45813; 04-30-2019 at 12:47 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-30-2019, 07:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely replace the chain if there are hard links. Check the sprockets while at it, since depending on mileage it might make sense to do them also.

Two wheelz for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode