HELP! ABS module is dead - Page 5 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

If and when you pick up your bike, question the dealer's tech as to how it was diagnosed as a failed ABS unit. Take notes if you have to.
As for what it is, what it isnt, and what it could be I never bet. I diagnose so I know exactly not only what it is, but what it isnt as well. An educated guess is still a guess.
Again, a second opinion isnt a bad thing. Ive seen cases here an expensive item was ordered and paid for, installed, condition not fixed, the real problem was repaired in the shop by another tech....and the customer was no wiser.
This post isnt meant to upset or scare you. But it's best it's to be fully informed as to the possibilities and procedures involved when it's your bike and money involved. Trust...but verify.
Big B, chicago and rambunkshuss like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
How does the brake fluid look? Is it clear in the rear? Did you flush it? After flushing did you work it hard by applying the rear brakes multiple times in a safe yet slippery location in an effort to get the abs pump working again?

I have no idea what a 2012 with 12k miles and a non working abs is worth in your area, but I can assure you if it were me I would at a minimum try the above before I gave up on it.
Did you ever try opening the bleeder valve for the rear brake? Last time I went to change rear brake pads I couldn't get the piston back in to allow enough room for the new (thicker) pads.

I know different symptoms but worth trying.

..Tom
rambunkshuss, notacop and jgendr like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 180,000+ km, 112,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #43 of 59 Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Let us know, what you find! A lesson learned for everybody else, change that fluid regularly. That fluid is hygroscopic = it absorbs moisture. Corrosion inside the ABS module can become an expensive consequence of deferred maintenance in this case.

Also it is prudent to activate the ABS regularly to move fluid that has been sitting in the ABS module out and exchange it as well as exercising those valves.
I sure hope you figure this out at a reasonable cost... I have a '15 and would hate to run into the same issue.

Regarding brake fluid change, how regularly? What's the collective advice on brake fluid intervals?

Two wheelz for realz!

post #44 of 59 Old 04-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfors View Post
Regarding brake fluid change, how regularly? What's the collective advice on brake fluid intervals?
Book says 2 yrs, some of the more cautious among us say 1 yr. It's cheap and easy.
Webfors and MAZ4ME like this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #45 of 59 Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Uggh... haven't touched mine since I bought it in 2016. Time to add a project to my list before the big rally.

Yearly it is going forward!

Two wheelz for realz!

Last edited by Webfors; 04-23-2019 at 09:25 PM.
post #46 of 59 Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

As Loco above says, I replace the brake fluid every year in all my vehicles regardless of mileage.
Some suction out the master cylinder reservoirs and refill...which doesnt accomplish much at all.

There are many different ways. My procedure uses an air-powered suction bleeder at the caliper screws, suction out fluid until the level drops just to the bottom of the reservoir, then refill with fresh fluid. Repeat 2 or 3 times at each caliper. I then apply light lever or pedal pressure and just slightly crack open the banjo bolt at the master cylinder to allow air bubbles to escape, tighten, and repeat at the caliper banjo bolts. If I have access, I use a crowfoot socket wrench to open the lines at the ABS unit and purge air there as well. Then refill the reservoir to the proper level. DONE. Figure about 15-25 minutes tops. I make sure I always have 2 full bottles of brake fluid, DOT4 in my case, on hand.
For the rear I partially reposition the bodywork if need be and take the reservoir loose from the frame of access. To fill the rear I use one of those small makeup funnels my wife gets and a 1' piece of hose to fill.
On bikes like my ZRX1100 and Vstrom1000 with hydraulic clutch actuation, I do the same procedure at the clutch master and slave cylinders.
To avoid rounding off bleeder screws, I use a double end 8mm X 10mm 6-point brake bleeder wrench, and also 90-degree bleeder wrenches in the same sizes.
In addition to possibly saving you from a ABS unit issue, replacing the fluid improves the lever and pedal feel as well.
rambunkshuss and Webfors like this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 04-24-2019 at 04:05 AM.
post #47 of 59 Old 04-24-2019, 02:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Reading through this thread with a slight bit of interest due to 1) the ridiculous cost of the ABS unit 2) the recommended "fixes" ......and then I stumble across what could be some of the most ridiculous comments I have EVER read on this otherwise extremely useful forum. Every single one of you LEGAL EXPERTS that have made comments about the insurance company potentially denying a claim because an adjuster notices the ABS being disabled have ZERO idea what you are talking about. And the comments that insurance companies look for ANY reason to deny a claim are even more ridiculous. Sounds like a rerun of Dumb and Dumber, except not near as funny.

Not only am I an attorney, but I am an insurance company professional. I know of which I speak. I only spend the time writing this to correct the misconceptions expressed in some of the prior comments in this thread related to insurance company denials of claims.

First of all, most adjusters don't even have a clue what they are looking at when adjusting a damaged motorcycle, period, much less do they have the ability to recognize a bypassed ABS unit. Besides that, and fortunately for those of you making these comments, insurance companies are in the business of insuring our stupidity. I did not say "ensuring" our stupidity, most people are more than capable of being stupid all by themselves, even me. But insurance companies insure and indemnify you for your negligence. When you file a claim with your own insurance company for the damage to your motorcycle that is a first party claim filled under your Collision or Comprehensive coverage. First party claims are contractual claims and I can assure you, the last thing in the world a big insurance company wants to do is wrongfully deny a claim. Those companies are in a contract with us and that contract requires them to insure our stupidity. Insurance companies will, at times, deny your claim for your purposeful and intended damage, ie; setting your house, car or motorcycle on fire. Even then, the burden is on the insurance company to prove that you INTENTIONALLY caused the damage to your property that they insure before they deny your claim.

As for whether you have a passenger on board that is injured in a crash, or you run into someone, primarily due to the fact you could not stop because you disabled the ABS system, there is no insurance company on the planet that would deny that claim - you still had operable brakes, just not a braking system with ABS. I dare say even if you disabled the entire braking system for whatever stupid reason, they would not deny your claim. In fact, that's not even a claim that you yourself are making, that is a claim being made by the injured party due to your negligence. Actually, in that case, it is the insurance company that is protecting / indemnifying you for your negligence and will even pay for an attorney to defend you in the event you are sued.

As for farkles and modifications, not only do they not deny the claim because of the modifications, they generally pay you for the added value the farkles or modifications created.

I'm not here to argue that insurance companies are puritans. Like most of us, and other companies in all types of industries, insurance companies make mistakes. They are not as pure as the driven snow. But seriously, keep your comments to things you really know about and do not spout crap about things you know nothing about - it only serves to lead people to incorrect conclusions.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming - did we ever find out what the actual problem is with the original poster's braking issue? It doesn't sound like a faulty ABS unit to me, it sounds like something physically impeding the braking system, from the foot pedal to the caliper/pads.
Big B, V-Tom and Jhat like this.
post #48 of 59 Old 04-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrbandit View Post
Reading through this thread with a slight bit of interest due to 1) the ridiculous cost of the ABS unit 2) the recommended "fixes" ......and then I stumble across what could be some of the most ridiculous comments I have EVER read on this otherwise extremely useful forum. Every single one of you LEGAL EXPERTS that have made comments about the insurance company potentially denying a claim because an adjuster notices the ABS being disabled have ZERO idea what you are talking about. And the comments that insurance companies look for ANY reason to deny a claim are even more ridiculous. Sounds like a rerun of Dumb and Dumber, except not near as funny.

Not only am I an attorney, but I am an insurance company professional. I know of which I speak. I only spend the time writing this to correct the misconceptions expressed in some of the prior comments in this thread related to insurance company denials of claims.

First of all, most adjusters don't even have a clue what they are looking at when adjusting a damaged motorcycle, period, much less do they have the ability to recognize a bypassed ABS unit. Besides that, and fortunately for those of you making these comments, insurance companies are in the business of insuring our stupidity. I did not say "ensuring" our stupidity, most people are more than capable of being stupid all by themselves, even me. But insurance companies insure and indemnify you for your negligence. When you file a claim with your own insurance company for the damage to your motorcycle that is a first party claim filled under your Collision or Comprehensive coverage. First party claims are contractual claims and I can assure you, the last thing in the world a big insurance company wants to do is wrongfully deny a claim. Those companies are in a contract with us and that contract requires them to insure our stupidity. Insurance companies will, at times, deny your claim for your purposeful and intended damage, ie; setting your house, car or motorcycle on fire. Even then, the burden is on the insurance company to prove that you INTENTIONALLY caused the damage to your property that they insure before they deny your claim.

As for whether you have a passenger on board that is injured in a crash, or you run into someone, primarily due to the fact you could not stop because you disabled the ABS system, there is no insurance company on the planet that would deny that claim - you still had operable brakes, just not a braking system with ABS. I dare say even if you disabled the entire braking system for whatever stupid reason, they would not deny your claim. In fact, that's not even a claim that you yourself are making, that is a claim being made by the injured party due to your negligence. Actually, in that case, it is the insurance company that is protecting / indemnifying you for your negligence and will even pay for an attorney to defend you in the event you are sued.

As for farkles and modifications, not only do they not deny the claim because of the modifications, they generally pay you for the added value the farkles or modifications created.

I'm not here to argue that insurance companies are puritans. Like most of us, and other companies in all types of industries, insurance companies make mistakes. They are not as pure as the driven snow. But seriously, keep your comments to things you really know about and do not spout crap about things you know nothing about - it only serves to lead people to incorrect conclusions.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming - did we ever find out what the actual problem is with the original poster's braking issue? It doesn't sound like a faulty ABS unit to me, it sounds like something physically impeding the braking system, from the foot pedal to the caliper/pads.
Slow clap...
post #49 of 59 Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
Slow clap...

Crap, now we gotta pay him.
Big B and Strange Dog like this.

'13 GL1800
'17 DL650A
post #50 of 59 Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
It never fails, just when we are having fun bashing lawyers, dealers, insurance companies, politicians, etc., somebody who actually knows what he's talking about has to ruin it.
Big B, V-Tom and blaustrom like this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode