HELP! ABS module is dead - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Ins Co's are big into having the black box in the car, like in airplanes, tell them what the vehicle was doing in the event of a mishap. They are looking for any opportunity to keep your premium in their pocket. It's all about the money. Unfortunately keeping up to date with repairs may be a real inconvenience to your pocket book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Something to consider...
I just got off the phone with my financial advisor, who was high up the ladder in Metropolitan Insurance Company. As per our discussion:
You have a motorcycle with ABS. The pump/module fails, and faced with a $2K+ bill you decide to bypass the unit. If you have an accident, and an insurance adjuster inspects the bike and finds that you have modified, eliminated, or bypassed the ABS unit the insurance company is well within their rights to deny any claims related to the accident. In their eyes you have taken the bike out of manufacturer's specification and have compromised the safety of the vehicle.
If the ABS failed and you have an accident, the manufacturer could be found liable IF you maintained the vehicle as per manufacturer's schedule. Then the lawyers get involved.
If you dont wreck, or submit a claim, no biggie. Nobody plans on a wreck.
But let's say you wreck on a bike youve disabled the ABS and youre carrying someone else on your bike and youre both injured or worse.
Now youve opened up a whole can of worms, and it gets real ugly real quick.
Suddenly that $2K ABS module looks inexpensive by comparison.
As always, do what youre comfortable with.
I would think that if an insurer really wanted to they could deny just about any claim as soon as you add the 1st non-OEM farkle as you have "altered" the manufacturers design with non approved parts.

Almost every activity we do we have to weigh risk versus reward.
post #33 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Agreed, but the ABS unit is a safety device. Not a performance, sound, or power modification. If a modification could conceivably have an effect in a collision, you bet the insurance company would be all over it.
Pretty obvious, dont you think?
You can justify any change you do any way you like. But when someone else's $$ is involved, you pretty much have to play by their rules, like it or not.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 04-22-2019 at 12:54 PM.

post #34 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not disagree within you but rather point out that in the case of an insurance company paying a settlement they'll what they can not too. Even if they know they are wrong they may force you to lawyer up and go that route knowing they have far more money than you and can outlast a vast majority of the general public in the court system. So either settle or risk financial ruin.

Even things we think innocent like adding low power draw LED driving lights can be twisted into a cause. Say the person taps the same power supply feeding the ABS. The light ground out and blow the fuse serving the ASB rendering it inoperable. Then dog forbid you get in and accident. What you originally added to the bike to make it move visible and "safer" can be excuse for an insurer to withhold payment.

All of this is super rare but if you get caught up in it would be hell. Again we makes our choices and takes our risk.
Big B and V-Tom like this.
post #35 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Understood. But knowingly disabling the ABS--even when it wasnt working in the 1st place--places the onus on YOU. Which is why a reputable shop wont bypass a safety device.
Insurance notwithstanding, you lose a POSSIBLE last resort out of "An unfortunate event" by not having a safety device the bike was originally equipped with.
You are absolutely correct in that it is a risk vs choice proposition.
The only bike I own with ABS is my '14 DL1K. If it fails, I'll either replace the unit...or replace the bike. To ride without it isnt worth the risk to ME. That is MY choice. Your point of view may differ, and nothing wrong with that.
Big B likes this.
post #36 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I feel for you. Mine went out, and it took nine months and a bill that was greater than the original cost of the bike to repair it. All I can tell you is not to expect any support from Suzuki. I spent months on the phone and corresponding with corporate. Short version -- they said mine failed in the first place because I used aftermarket brake lines. I could find nothing that supports that theory. Then they had to put in three new ABS systems before they got one that worked. Of course, the labor tab was running. In the end, praise be Heyser Cycle in Laurel Md., which pulled strings to get the bill covered. I have never dealt with a company that offered worse consumer support for a premium product than Suzuki. Having had other unsatisfactory dealings with corporate customer service since then, it is highly unlikely that I would buy another Suzuki product. My suggestion is save yourself a lot of trouble, buy a new bike from a company that supports its product.

Last edited by modestmod; 04-22-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #37 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I hate to give up my ride, but I wonder what I could get for the bike is its current non-working rear brake condition. 2012 650a. 12k miles. V-Stream windshield, fork brace, peg lowering kit, crash bars, too case, good tires, and center stand. Nary a scratch on it. Pearl white. Flashing headlight and tail light.

Last edited by rambunkshuss; 04-22-2019 at 09:54 PM.
post #38 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

How does the brake fluid look? Is it clear in the rear? Did you flush it? After flushing did you work it hard by applying the rear brakes multiple times in a safe yet slippery location in an effort to get the abs pump working again?

I have no idea what a 2012 with 12k miles and a non working abs is worth in your area, but I can assure you if it were me I would at a minimum try the above before I gave up on it.
post #39 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bike is at the dealer waiting for me to ride it back home. I will try to revive it using the ABS suggestions. Unfortunately, I never changed the brake fluid.
post #40 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambunkshuss View Post
I hate to give up my ride, but I wonder what I could get for the bike is its current non-working rear brake condition. 2012 650a. 12k miles. V-Stream windshield, fork brace, peg lowering kit, crash bars, too case, good tires, and center stand. Nary a scratch on it. Pearl white. Flashing headlight and tail light.
Well you know its worth atleast the $1900 that it would cost for the ABS module... Did you try any of the troubleshooting tip given above first? I really bet its not the ABS unit

Put it on a trailer and bring it over to Southern Mississippi and I'll fix it for you

JG
rambunkshuss and notacop like this.

2014 DL650 VStorm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode