HELP! ABS module is dead - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
OP I feel bad for you but I also sit back and think about all the DL owners bashing BMW for being expensive to repair.
How does your comment help here?

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 165,000+ km, 103,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just a question...has the rear brake line from the rear master cylinder to the ABS module been disconnected at the master to see if the pedal can then be depressed?
It is generally the 1st step in ABS non-code diagnosis to make sure the regular hydraulic system is working as designed.
post #23 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Just a question...has the rear brake line from the rear master cylinder to the ABS module been disconnected at the master to see if the pedal can then be depressed?
It is generally the 1st step in ABS non-code diagnosis to make sure the regular hydraulic system is working as designed.
Seems like a reasonable 1st step, especially if you ride in rain, off road, etc. Could have some junk stuck in the pivot point preventing proper pedal positioning. (Say that 5 times fast, I dare you.)
itlives likes this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.

post #24 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

"How does your comment help here?"

Taken in context, it compares outrageous DL cost with equally outrageous BMW costs.
But a as a BMW owner it's always fun to point out the ridiculous.
ABS, In tank pumps, etc costs, what are they thinking?

"pivot point preventing proper pedal positioning"

onomatopoeia or alliteration? I vote for alliteration.
post #25 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
"How does your comment help here?"

Taken in context, it compares outrageous DL cost with equally outrageous BMW costs.
But a as a BMW owner it's always fun to point out the ridiculous.
ABS, In tank pumps, etc costs, what are they thinking?
Someone has a legitimate problem that may cost them a lot of money to repair and making fun of things is what is posted?

Really?

Time and a place for everything but I don't see this thread as a good time or place for it.

..Tom
Jhat and jgendr like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 165,000+ km, 103,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #26 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not just Vstroms.
You can take the least expensive economy car, and if it needs an ABS module out of warranty you'll be in the same world of hurt as our OP tester here.
It has been my experience that a failed ABS module has different symptoms that what has been posted in this thread.
As previously stated, the ABS module should only come into play during an ABS wheel stop. But I have had many fail causing low brake pedal due to internal accumulator issues. In fact, that was the single most common complaint that brought the vehicle into the shop for a suspected ABS problem. Typically you'd roll to the stop brakes applied...and the pedal would simply drop away. It was an intermittent problem, and the usual diagnostic procedure was to check for ABS codes, completely bleed the system, replace the master cylinder...then as per the manufacturer's techline, replace the ABS module. In all cases where the ABS module was called for after exhausting all other possibilities, the root cause was severely deteriorated brake fluid from lack of maintenance.
But...in this case I recommend loosening the banjo bolt at the rear master cylinder and seeing if the pedal is indeed stuck. Then open the bleeder screw at the rear caliper and seei if there is fluid flow with the brake pedal depressed. In short, make sure the regular hydraulic circuit is operational.
Barring that, in light of the expense involved, I'd get a 2nd opinion from another dealer.
One of the clues I used was to call the manufacturer's techline and ask 2 questions: 1)How many warranty claims were submitted for ABS module failure? and 2) how many ABS modules for that model, year, and VIN# series were sold nation-wide in the last 3 years?
As a dealer we couldnt bypass the ABS module due to liability concerns. As a customer, you can do as you like on your own
Again, get a 2nd opinion.
Big B, rambunkshuss and notacop like this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 04-22-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #27 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

It shouldn't be hard to source a good used ABS module or as others have suggested bypass it with braided steel hoses directly from the master cylinders to the calipers. While ABS is good in some situations vehicles can safely be operated w/o the aid of ABS.
V-Tom and rambunkshuss like this.
post #28 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 10:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

"You really only need it for the front wheel."

I'd only had bikes with ABS for a while and then got the Wee. On a ride with friends, the lead guy made a sudden change in roads and it required me to stomp the brakes to slow down for the turn.
I was quite surprised at the sensation of the rear of the bike swerving around. I'd forgotten all about that sort of over braking behavior.
It hasn't been a problem since but it reminded me of what a benefit ABS has been to riding in general. I have to think a bit about the speed of the bike and braking control and road conditions.

V-Tom, we aren't making fun of the OP problem. Just making light of the market of replacement parts, it's a seriously overpriced situation.
Add up what the Factory wants in replacement parts and the total sum becomes laughable compared to what you pay for the bike new.
$8799 was the listed price for a 2017 Wee, ABS pump listed for $1900. How is that one part worth 21% of the new bike?
Then you get into shop cost but folks do need to pay the bills to keep the shop open and make a living.
Big B and Motorpsychology like this.
post #29 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Garage
So overpriced just like the fuel pump assembly.....come on Suzuki, seriously?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #30 of 58 Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Something to consider...
I just got off the phone with my financial advisor, who was high up the ladder in Metropolitan Insurance Company. As per our discussion:
You have a motorcycle with ABS. The pump/module fails, and faced with a $2K+ bill you decide to bypass the unit. If you have an accident, and an insurance adjuster inspects the bike and finds that you have modified, eliminated, or bypassed the ABS unit the insurance company is well within their rights to deny any claims related to the accident. In their eyes you have taken the bike out of manufacturer's specification and have compromised the safety of the vehicle.
If the ABS failed and you have an accident, the manufacturer could be found liable IF you maintained the vehicle as per manufacturer's schedule. Then the lawyers get involved.
If you dont wreck, or submit a claim, no biggie. Nobody plans on a wreck.
But let's say you wreck on a bike youve disabled the ABS and youre carrying someone else on your bike and youre both injured or worse.
Now youve opened up a whole can of worms, and it gets real ugly real quick.
Suddenly that $2K ABS module looks inexpensive by comparison.
As always, do what youre comfortable with.
Big B and notacop like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode