HELP! ABS module is dead - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 58 Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambunkshuss View Post
I will try this method! and, no....I did not ever change the brake fluid.
Let us know, what you find! A lesson learned for everybody else, change that fluid regularly. That fluid is hygroscopic = it absorbs moisture. Corrosion inside the ABS module can become an expensive consequence of deferred maintenance in this case.

Also it is prudent to activate the ABS regularly to move fluid that has been sitting in the ABS module out and exchange it as well as exercising those valves.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p38arover View Post
Threads merged. Don't post the same question in multiple areas.
Thanks! I thought already I am loosing it, having posted a response and then seemingly it was gone …. and I tried to find those links again.
p38arover likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #13 of 58 Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

It might be also as simple as collapsed wall of the rear brake flex line.

post #14 of 58 Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Garage
Wow yet another 12 with abs pump issues......something is up with that model year and or build dates.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #15 of 58 Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Let us know, what you find! A lesson learned for everybody else, change that fluid regularly. That fluid is hygroscopic = it absorbs moisture. Corrosion inside the ABS module can become an expensive consequence of deferred maintenance in this case.

Also it is prudent to activate the ABS regularly to move fluid that has been sitting in the ABS module out and exchange it as well as exercising those valves.
True, except only the 12’s are having issues, I believe ABS 650’s started in 09?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #16 of 58 Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Most likely is an overfull rear reservoir. If you havn't looked at that first please do that first.

Second is crap caught between the pistons and caliper.

Note that the ABS unit shouldn't be capable of failing like this as it's effectively a bypass on the braking system and doesn't activate unless the ABS function kicks in. Brake pedal slowly heading for the bottom of travel when applied would match a faulty ABS unit.
post #17 of 58 Old 04-20-2019, 12:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
True, except only the 12’s are having issues, I believe ABS 650’s started in 09?
It does seem that Gen2 ABS modules (2012-2016) have a slightly higher failure rate than Gen1. FYI, Gen1 ABS was an option in 2007, 2008 & 2009 (there was no 2010 model) and became standard in 2011 and beyond. The ABS motor/valve were redesigned for Gen2 to weight less and use less power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
Note that the ABS unit shouldn't be capable of failing like this as it's effectively a bypass on the braking system and doesn't activate unless the ABS function kicks in. Brake pedal slowly heading for the bottom of travel when applied would match a faulty ABS unit.
I agree, the ABS is designed to "fail safe" meaning any failure won't interfere with the normal operation of the brake. I'm not sure what the OP means by "I can't depress my rear brake pedal" but if it is locked or doesn't move then something is wedging the operation of the pedal linkage, frozen master cylinder, jammed caliper pistons, etc. The ABS is almost certainly not the problem here.
Gert and Motorpsychology like this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #18 of 58 Old 04-20-2019, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I feel your pain. I haven't changed my rear fluid as much as I should b/c the reservoir is out of sight out of mind.

My understanding is that an ABS failure mode includes locking out the rear brake (as you describe), as well as locking the rear brake.

You may be able to rig up an ABS exercise switch harness to cycle the rear channel solenoid with fresh fluid.

Regardless, you should be able to fit a non-ABS brake line between the rear master cylinder to restore normal braking.
post #19 of 58 Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Still expensive but Partzilla has it for $1382. https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/55610-11J01
rambunkshuss likes this.

'13 GL1800
'17 DL650A
post #20 of 58 Old 04-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Why would anyone replace the ABS module for a rear channel failure? You really only need it for the front wheel. Just hook up a hose from the rear master cylinder to the caliper and call it good.
Webfors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode