Narrower Gas Tank (Bad Hips) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Narrower Gas Tank (Bad Hips)

Hi all,

I have a 2016 650 and due to hip problems, the gas tank is too wide for me anymore. It wasn't bad when I first got it but now it really makes my hips and lower back hurt just after a couple minutes. If it didn't have those little bump outs on the sides, it would probably be fine. I've already lowered the pegs and got the taller seat which gives me more room and helps a little.

So is there anyone that makes a narrower gas tank for these bikes? Or am I looking at having to sell it and get something skinnier? Would anyone have recommendations of what I could start looking at?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 08:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petow23 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 650 and due to hip problems, the gas tank is too wide for me anymore. It wasn't bad when I first got it but now it really makes my hips and lower back hurt just after a couple minutes. If it didn't have those little bump outs on the sides, it would probably be fine. I've already lowered the pegs and got the taller seat which gives me more room and helps a little.

So is there anyone that makes a narrower gas tank for these bikes? Or am I looking at having to sell it and get something skinnier? Would anyone have recommendations of what I could start looking at?

Thanks
I would consider an SV 650 if given your situation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
NVDucati likes this.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane" ~ Waylon Jennings
post #3 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck83 View Post

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I used to have an SV1000 and sold that to get the V-Strom which was much more comfortable at the time.

post #4 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I don't think you can easily swap your gas tank for a narrower one. I've heard about the opposite way to increase fuel autonomy, but not what you're looking for.

Your best option might be to swap for something like a Suzuki Burgman 650. Not the cutest one, but if it meets your needs... It even comes with a CVT and no chain to lube!!!

1998-2003 - '84 Honda Magna V65
2003-2018 - '03 Suzuki SV650S
2018-... - '15 Suzuki V-Strom 650
post #5 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck83 View Post
I drove one for 14 years and it's definitly not the most confortable driving position you can get... ver tough on the lower back. The main reason I switch to a V-Strom 650 actually.

1998-2003 - '84 Honda Magna V65
2003-2018 - '03 Suzuki SV650S
2018-... - '15 Suzuki V-Strom 650
post #6 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
I don't think you can easily swap your gas tank for a narrower one. I've heard about the opposite way to increase fuel autonomy, but not what you're looking for.

Your best option might be to swap for something like a Suzuki Burgman 650. Not the cutest one, but if it meets your needs... It even comes with a CVT and no chain to lube!!!
Yeah I didn't really think a smaller tank would exist, but figured I'd ask. Just googled the Burgman, think I'll pass haha. Worst case I'll get an enduro. I still ride my dirt bike at the track once a week with no issues for my hips. Just hurts the rest of my body.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris View Post
I drove one for 14 years and it's definitly not the most confortable driving position you can get... ver tough on the lower back. The main reason I switch to a V-Strom 650 actually.
Yeah the lower back back was what did me in on the SV. Fun bike though.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Here's something that may help you if you go looking for something different. It's a motorcycle ergonomics program that will allow you to compare and contrast motorcycle for your height, etc. Unfortunately it doesn't give you stats for tank width.

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Good Luck!!!

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #9 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

You might have to switch to a different bike but if you really love your 'Strom you could try a bar "up & back" riser. If you move the handle bar back an inch or so you can comfortably sit toward the rear of the seat instead of forward (this may also help with the lower back pain) and stop hugging the tank and spreading your legs and straining your hips. Only caveat is that depending on how far you go back with the bar riser you might have to extend or reroute the brake line, clutch cable and some of the wiring.

You also may want to see a physical therapist because hip pain can often be caused by something else, since you also experience low back pain and the "thigh bone connected to the hip bone" as the song goes. You may be able to do some stretching or strengthening exercises of your hip ab- or ad-ductors which are the muscles that open and close the hips. It may just be some kind of imbalance. I have some hip stretching exercises I do that helps with my back/hip and improves my seat time.
NVDucati likes this.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #10 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

petow23, I'm inclined to encourage you to keep your bike and go for a custom / modified fuel tank.

First, I'd take the tank completely off and sit on the bike long enough to make sure a new tank will solve your problem.

If true then buy a used tank from eBay or a local salvage yard. I just took a peek and see some for $75. (with dents) There is a nation of custom car and bike builders who can make it just right for you. The costs will be reasonable when compared to getting a new bike. How fancy you want the style and paint finish will drive the costs up and down.

You will need to keep in mind the volume of the now narrow tank. You can make it taller or you can check in with Iron Butt crowd to see all the auxiliary tank options.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Brockie and Charlie1982 like this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode