Narrower Gas Tank (Bad Hips) - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great suggestion above and also look at lowering your pegs https://www.adventuretech.biz/gear-s...extension.html

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 04:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may want to consider having your saddle reshaped for more support and to sit slightly further back. The handle bar reach can be corrected with pull back risers. Just a thought...
post #13 of 28 Old 04-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm sure there are metal shops that will adjust or fabricate a narrower tank. I always look at this dude's tank to realize that customization IS possible...

That's a fabricated tank from an Iron Butt Rally competitor that brings it closer (up to?) the maximum allowable fuel for that competition, plus he rests his chest against it for the long rides!

Barring customizing your tank (like I said, there have GOT to be metal shops that will do that), just get something that is more comfortable to ride. KLR 650? If you're comfortable, you'll ride more. And it's a win-win!

Alexi

post #14 of 28 Old 04-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petow23 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 650 and due to hip problems, the gas tank is too wide for me anymore. It wasn't bad when I first got it but now it really makes my hips and lower back hurt just after a couple minutes. If it didn't have those little bump outs on the sides, it would probably be fine. I've already lowered the pegs and got the taller seat which gives me more room and helps a little.

So is there anyone that makes a narrower gas tank for these bikes? Or am I looking at having to sell it and get something skinnier? Would anyone have recommendations of what I could start looking at?

Thanks
I believe the 2017 650 V-Strom started coming with a more narrow tank. Have you sat on one yet?
post #15 of 28 Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Wondering why your hips are hurting so much. By chance, if you are taking Lisinopril for blood pressure, get something else. That stuff almost destroyed all of my connective tissue! And then the doctors will tell you, oh, the pain is arthritis, not related to Lisinopril. BS. Doing much better now that I am not taking that stuff. Takes a while to heal up though. Well, I should say, to heal up completely. Noticed improvement in gym after 4 days.
notacop likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
You might have to switch to a different bike but if you really love your 'Strom you could try a bar "up & back" riser. If you move the handle bar back an inch or so you can comfortably sit toward the rear of the seat instead of forward (this may also help with the lower back pain) and stop hugging the tank and spreading your legs and straining your hips. Only caveat is that depending on how far you go back with the bar riser you might have to extend or reroute the brake line, clutch cable and some of the wiring.

You also may want to see a physical therapist because hip pain can often be caused by something else, since you also experience low back pain and the "thigh bone connected to the hip bone" as the song goes. You may be able to do some stretching or strengthening exercises of your hip ab- or ad-ductors which are the muscles that open and close the hips. It may just be some kind of imbalance. I have some hip stretching exercises I do that helps with my back/hip and improves my seat time.
I actually just started doing PT and it seems to be helping. Been stretching for a while now. It definitely helps but only provides temporary relief.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
petow23, I'm inclined to encourage you to keep your bike and go for a custom / modified fuel tank.

First, I'd take the tank completely off and sit on the bike long enough to make sure a new tank will solve your problem.

If true then buy a used tank from eBay or a local salvage yard. I just took a peek and see some for $75. (with dents) There is a nation of custom car and bike builders who can make it just right for you. The costs will be reasonable when compared to getting a new bike. How fancy you want the style and paint finish will drive the costs up and down.

You will need to keep in mind the volume of the now narrow tank. You can make it taller or you can check in with Iron Butt crowd to see all the auxiliary tank options.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Ended up getting a good deal on a Yamaha SCR 950 that is easier on my hips. I'm able to move around on the seat more and I also put some highway pegs on to stretch out.
post #18 of 28 Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Great suggestion above and also look at lowering your pegs
I actually bought this the first week I had the bike. Thanks for the tip though.
post #19 of 28 Old 05-14-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMotion View Post
I believe the 2017 650 V-Strom started coming with a more narrow tank. Have you sat on one yet?
I actually rode the 2017 at the Yamaha demo days near me. I was pretty comfortable on it so I went shopping for a 2016. Had no idea that they made that much of a change until I rode it home haha.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty62 View Post
Wondering why your hips are hurting so much. By chance, if you are taking Lisinopril for blood pressure, get something else. That stuff almost destroyed all of my connective tissue! And then the doctors will tell you, oh, the pain is arthritis, not related to Lisinopril. BS. Doing much better now that I am not taking that stuff. Takes a while to heal up though. Well, I should say, to heal up completely. Noticed improvement in gym after 4 days.
No I'm not taking anything at the moment. Doctor diagnosed me with osteo arthritis and hip impingements. They gave me Meloxicam to reduce inflammation and it helped. I hate taking pills though so I stopped after a month or so. Been doing physical therapy and using CBD lotion, and it seems to be going in the right direction. Sucks that I'm 35 and I have the flexibility of someone twice my age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode