Let me see pictures of your dash-mounted power ports! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Let me see pictures of your dash-mounted power ports!

I want to mount a power outlet like the one below in that flat part of the dash to the left of the instruments. I can kind of, almost reach around behind the panel and it seems to be clear there for a hole big enough to mount it. Reaching the lock nut to tighten is another issue.

What have you guys done to mount an outlet on the dash? Do I have to remove the dash? Because I really don't want to remove anything.

Youth is wasted on the young.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Let me see pictures of your dash-mounted power ports!

You can add this shelf from Adventure Tech that just bolts on from below. No drilling in the dash!

https://www.adventuretech.biz/auxili...main-page.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Webfors and a572mike like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, I was kind of looking forward to it. Drilling in tupperware, that is.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage

Here is is in stainless from Adventuretech

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshod View Post
I want to mount a power outlet like the one below in that flat part of the dash to the left of the instruments. What have you guys done to mount an outlet on the dash? Do I have to remove the dash? Because I really don't want to remove anything.
Yes, I took it apart but didn't measure properly before drilling, so I'll get that opportunity again on a new dash. The red tape covers the bad hole. There is a metal fairing brace right behind and you can't put anything there that has any depth.

Please note that I also have my ABS on/off switch and my Single Headlight on/off on that piece too.

I don't have any other dashboard. But do have a GPS mount point behind the windshield.

Is that what you were thinking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019_650XT Dash_A_2019.04.14.jpg (278.4 KB, 25 views)
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

My humble location. .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1555277298002.jpg (382.2 KB, 22 views)
Boise Jim likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
$tromtrooper

Lots of options! I was going to post a picture of my Adventure Tech shelf, but it looks just like above. I love that I can swap out my power socket options any time... pretty simple.

Two wheels for realz!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 AM
$tromtrooper

I did the same as spike's 12vdc plug for my USB plugs (right side) and voltmeter (left side). Fortunately, I only had to drill once for each as I realized the metal fairing brace lies behind the dash. Even so, there's limited real estate behind the dash on that vertical section. Were I to do it again, I'd do like Dwighop and spike's ABS/headligh switches and install on the horizontal section.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw View Post
Yes, I took it apart but didn't measure properly before drilling, so I'll get that opportunity again on a new dash. The red tape covers the bad hole. There is a metal fairing brace right behind and you can't put anything there that has any depth.

Please note that I also have my ABS on/off switch and my Single Headlight on/off on that piece too.

I don't have any other dashboard. But do have a GPS mount point behind the windshield.

Is that what you were thinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwighop View Post
My humble location. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdofthree View Post
I did the same as spike's 12vdc plug for my USB plugs (right side) and voltmeter (left side). Fortunately, I only had to drill once for each as I realized the metal fairing brace lies behind the dash. Even so, there's limited real estate behind the dash on that vertical section. Were I to do it again, I'd do like Dwighop and spike's ABS/headligh switches and install on the horizontal section.
Oh yeah, this is what I'm talking about! That's the part that I'm calling the 'dashboard', that spot to the right and left of the instrument cover. Thanks for the pointers, guys. I'll start drilling some day soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode