LED blinkers on the cheap - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Rolex
  • 1 Post By itlives
  • 2 Post By Webfors
  • 1 Post By itlives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

LED blinkers on the cheap

Granted, I'm new here and there's a lot I don't know, but (there's always a but) why would one buy the Suzuki led turn signal kit for over $200 when you can piece it together for so much less? I just bought a 7-pin relay made for Suki and it works on both led and standard bulbs.it cost $11]

With some led light replacements, you're done!

Sure beats this! -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Genui...edirect=mobile

Edit- I had a link to the relay on Amazon but took it down because it also brought up my account.

Last edited by itlives; 04-04-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I assume your system works like mine.

Be aware with the aftermarket relay you will not get any indication like a fast or slow flash if one if your turn signals is not working.
itlives and V-Harry like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Rolex, didnt think of that. But led's rarely go out!

I bought a crap load of led bulbs for my camper(s) and have more than a lifetimes worth! I still carry extra bulbs...
DesertBike likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Cheap leds are crap, the mostly contain 5mm or 3mm leds, I've been through many. You need high brightness leds with a bright output. I bit the bullet and picked up some Yamaha ones and they're bright, you get that laser diode shine when you look at them from a distance. You get what you paid for.

Last edited by medve; 04-11-2019 at 07:39 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM
$tromtrooper

I got a cheap replacement flasher compatible with LEDs for $15, a pair of high brightness / output LED 1156 bulbs for $25, and painted the inside of the turn signal housing white with a rattle can I had in the basement.

I indeed got what a paid for: a relatively cheap solution much brighter and more noticeable than stock 1156 bulbs both up-close and at a distance.

I agree with medve's sentiment of getting what you pay for relative to the aftermarket complete-replacement LED turn signals. The cheap options have woefully low output. That's why I went with the above and couldn't be happier.

(Well, I'll be happier once I convert my turn signals to a super-bright LED module like the Whelen LIN3 or more likely one of the lower cost / higher value options.)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

I got my led relay in and put in the last two led blinkers. Im very happy with both the price and quality of my set up. I still need to change out those little lights up front. I have them already but can't get my fat fingers up in there to release them.
Persistence will prevail...but not today.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 PM
$tromtrooper

I replaced mine with relatively inexpensive LEDs and bought the aftermarket relay from the UK.

Now, don't pistol whip me for what I'm about to say, but a cheap trick to increasing the brightness of my cheap LED bulbs...? Lined the interior of the light fixture with aluminum foil that I crumpled dozens of times to create hundreds of random creases. Glued it in along the back of the fixture, and let me tell you... those bulbs are BRIGHT

But don't do what I did...
thirdofthree and itlives like this.

Two wheels for realz!

Last edited by Webfors; 04-17-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfors View Post
I replaced mine with relatively inexpensive LEDs and bought the aftermarket relay from the UK.

Now, don't pistol whip me for what I'm about to say, but a cheap trick to increasing the brightness of my cheap LED bulbs...? Lined the interior of the light fixture with aluminum foil that I crumpled dozens of times to create hundreds of random creases. Glued it in along the back of the fixture, and let me tell you... those bulbs are BRIGHT

But don't do what I did...
I did the same. I read where someone painted the inside white but thought aluminum a better answer to the "problem".
You're correct , they are appreciably brighter. I didn't glue mine. I justpressed it in. Works for me!
Webfors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode