Different Size Side Cases - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Webfors
  • 1 Post By jmf552
  • 1 Post By branthopolis
  • 1 Post By RevD
  • 1 Post By RevD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Different Size Side Cases

Anyone run different size/width side cases to accommodate the 2012+ muffler layout on the wee? If so, what brand, model and combo?

I've been considering larger cases for bigger trips. I won't to avoid anything wider than my current little Givi E22's, which are great for commuting and easy access to day to day stuff (lube, glasses, dry socks, etc).

If it matters, I have the huge, and some say ugly, E460 top case.
DesertBike likes this.

Two wheelz for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have different size cases on my 2014 Wee. They are Suzuki branded. The right hand case is skinnier so that with the muffler, they stick out the same distance on each side. They are pretty roomy and pretty rugged. Unfortunately, I dropped the bike a few times when I was learning to ride it and the cases took the brunt. The worst that happened is I had a mounting bracket rivet break, which I replaced, but the outside of the cases don't look banged up and they still mount and lock fine.
Webfors likes this.

Self-medicating two-wheel therapist...
post #3 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have an XT so I kinda cheated - it came with SWMotech Trax cases, which are 'handed' to keep the bike's width symmetrical. For a trunk I did the V47 Givi; any larger and the pannier lids would smack the underside when opened. Trax cases make the XT about as wide as a Geo Metro and hold an ungodly amount of stuff. I don't often use them (brick-like width impacts fuel mileage above 40mph) but when needed, wow are they handy.

For narrow cases, Happy Trail makes a few that can hold a Tom Clancy paperback vertically and not much else. Trouble is, the lid is as narrow as the case so getting stuff out of the bottom can induce one to use magic words.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C

post #4 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

post #5 of 10 Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dodobo,I noticed in the pics of the luggage a few of them look well skewed. terribly noticeable in some.
My aftermarket Seahorse bags seem wider in the front than at the back of the bags on the factory Suzuki bag frames. I never noticed that when i had the factory bags though.
Interesting how the makers don't have a sense of style and elegance when putting these things on a metal frame on the bike.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hows that for a fat A$$. Kappa luggage, I think its a 37 & 43 liter case. They definitely hinder lane splitting. I rarely use these anymore. I much prefer my Mosko Moto Reckless 80L system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstrom View Post

Hows that for a fat A$$. Kappa luggage, I think its a 37 & 43 liter case. They definitely hinder lane splitting. I rarely use these anymore. I much prefer my Mosko Moto Reckless 80L system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly the Kappa system I've been looking at recently. 55 up top, 33 and 46 on the sides. But then I look at the price and thought, nah, I'll just buy a 60L SW-Motech bag for $120 to go along with my 35L matching bag. Both in hi-viz :P

I love my little Givi 22 top cases. Not too big to lose something inside, but just right for easy access stuff while riding.

I won't be the prettiest ride in town, but It'll be practical and have serious capacity.

22 + 22 + 46 + 35 + 60 = 185L

Two wheelz for realz!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Bumot makes a nice pannier system that uses a close fitting rack with integrated locking toolbox and 40l & 36l side bags so that it looks symmetrical.. I have that setup on my Vee2 and the total width with bags is just less than the width of my handlebars. Not cheap, but very sturdy toploaders...

https://www.advmotorrad.com/shop-by-motorcycle/suzuki
Webfors likes this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #9 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Happy-Trail side case racks are within something like a 1/2” of being symmetrical. There are pics and measurements on the web site. I don’t know why no one else comes that close. The Givi and SW Motech etc mounts are ridiculous IMO. HappyTrail makes cases that are wide, narrow, shallow and deep depending on what you want/need. I’ve never had the chance to really look at them in fine detail but the few times I’ve seen them on bikes around here they appear to be better made than most others - although they do look quite utilitarian. The way the lids hinge out to the side to form a ‘shelf’ when you are digging through all the stuff you have packed in them is brilliant.
Check ‘em out, I’m considering a set myself.
Webfors likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Forgot to add that Happy-Trail does have Givi adapters for their racks if you want a nearly symmetrical look with plastic cases
Webfors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode