help with GIVI skid plate. Remove this engine case bolt?!!! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slickrock
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Slickrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Garage
help with GIVI skid plate. Remove this engine case bolt?!!!

Hey all,

I have a 2104 and purchased a GIVI skid plate and the directions are awful. From what I can tell, the directions want me to remove the lower main engine case bolt (the one that clamps the case together), put brackets at both openings, then run a new bolt through the case secured with a lock washer and nut.

Is this correct? (See pictures) I'm not too happy about removing the main case bolt that holds it together for fear of causing a leak. Anyone know for sure if I need to remove this bolt and replace it with the provided bolt? I wanted confirmation before removing that very important bolt.


When I ordered it is stated it was good for a 2014, but the top of the directions say 2011-2012. I figure the motors are the same so it should work on my 2014.

Thank you,

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4675.jpg (439.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4674.jpg (321.9 KB, 13 views)

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
Slickrock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 94
Dan, I have a 2014 dl1000 with a Givi skid plate. The Givi brackets are installed using engine case bolts which also gave me a moment of pause, but those same bolts were used to secure the lower cowl that came on the bike. I haven't had any problems. Just re-snug the bolts the first few oil changes.
moglink is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Mucksavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Turnersville,nj
Posts: 202
Garage
Dan, yup, that’s the bolt you use. I have a ‘12 650 (call it the same bike as yours). I removed & reinstalled the bolt & had no problems with an oil leak.

'12 Glee, Metallic Fox Orange, '98 DR350, CMA #183680
Mucksavage is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Slickrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moglink View Post
Dan, I have a 2014 dl1000 with a Givi skid plate. The Givi brackets are installed using engine case bolts which also gave me a moment of pause, but those same bolts were used to secure the lower cowl that came on the bike. I haven't had any problems. Just re-snug the bolts the first few oil changes.
Fantastic. Appreciate the response and confirmation.

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
Slickrock is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Slickrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucksavage View Post
Dan, yup, that’s the bolt you use. I have a ‘12 650 (call it the same bike as yours). I removed & reinstalled the bolt & had no problems with an oil leak.
Thanks for responding. I'll throw some blue loctite on the bolt to make sure it doesn't decide to go anywhere.

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
Slickrock is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Umbrianissimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 143
@Slickrock
I put Givi crasherbars on my 2017 but the instructions/ spec sheet also identified them as being for other, older years. The fit was easy, so I suspect the date conflict should not worry you. But it is true, the 'instructions' can be worse than useless. Kind of like instructions which say,
'Remove engine. Fix problem. Reinstall engine'.

Damon
2017 DL 650 and maybe another Vespa?

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
Now that summer is here, I'm retiring so I can ride full time.
Umbrianissimo is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Slickrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Garage
Got the skid plate installed last night. I can see it is going to be a pain in the backside every time I have to change the oil and remove the plate to do it. I resued that original bolt for the lower brackets because it was plenty long enough and the givi bolt was a smaller diameter. Oh well, I really like the coverage and it closes up the lower front of the bike. Always thought seeing the oil filter sticking out like that made the bike look like it was a cheap build. Now it's all sealed up and much better looking. The only issue was that it was tight against my Givi crash bars so I put a small layer of gasket felt between the two and secured it with zip ties so it wouldn't cause vibration. Worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4680.jpg (380.0 KB, 1 views)

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
Slickrock is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Motorpsychology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Prescott, Wi. Upper Ms.River bluff country
Posts: 260
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrock View Post
Got the skid plate installed last night. I can see it is going to be a pain in the backside every time I have to change the oil and remove the plate to do it.
Yup! The top two nuts should have been spot-welded to the brackets like the bottom four. I used some JB Weld to secure the bottom washers to the skid plate. There is a slight interference fit factor which can cause the washers slip out of alignment during install, and on the right side especially, the brackets are hidden by the header pipe.
When my next oil change comes up, I'm going to have the nuts spot-welded to the upper bracket as well The JB Weld isn't holding up very well, nor are the bottom washers (steel to coated aluminum).
I'm also considering boring a hole big enough for a socket to fit through the skid plate to remove the through-bolt. This would allow the skid plate and lower brackets to be removed/reinstalled as a unit, after removing the upper mounting screws from the upper bracket.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
Motorpsychology is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Slickrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpsychology View Post
Yup! The top two nuts should have been spot-welded to the brackets like the bottom four. I used some JB Weld to secure the bottom washers to the skid plate. There is a slight interference fit factor which can cause the washers slip out of alignment during install, and on the right side especially, the brackets are hidden by the header pipe.
When my next oil change comes up, I'm going to have the nuts spot-welded to the upper bracket as well The JB Weld isn't holding up very well, nor are the bottom washers (steel to coated aluminum).
I'm also considering boring a hole big enough for a socket to fit through the skid plate to remove the through-bolt. This would allow the skid plate and lower brackets to be removed/reinstalled as a unit, after removing the upper mounting screws from the upper bracket.
I think your right. If I could get a socket in there and remove the bottom bracket by sliding out the bottom through bolt and another two holes to reach up and remove the top two bolts holding that bracket on would be the best for oil changes. Let me know how it goes with yours and if you drilled holes to remove the bracket as a whole.

It wasn't too bad aligning everything up but my 16-year-old son helped. So the next two years are covered for another set of hands. After that, off to Officer Training Academy and college/military. Maybe I can train my German Shepherd to hold a wrench for me.
Motorpsychology likes this.

Slickrock (Dan)
2013 Dl650A and 1983 Honda XL600r Thumper. Lower end of Central Valley, CA.
Slickrock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skid plate options with Givi crash bars MotoMarkDallas DL1000 from 2002-2012 6 04-13-2015 11:55 PM
Givi crashbars/ skid plate compatability 650wee DL650A - 2012-2016 1 09-19-2013 09:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome