Bike won't shut off all the way - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME
  • 1 Post By Jim L
  • 3 Post By Brockie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Bike won't shut off all the way

While riding back from March Moto Madness in a rain storm I stopped for gas. When I turned the key to the Off position the engine shut off but all of the gauges and instrument cluster stayed on (don't know about the lights). It all shut down when I removed the key. Filled up, rode the rest of the way home in the rain. When I got home and pulled into the garage and turned the bike off the same thing happened, though now it would stay on even when I remove the key. Had to disconnect the battery. When I reconnect the battery even with they key out the instrument cluster lights up though the headlights and running lights stay off. Put the shutoff switch to the run position with the bike in neutral and I can hear the fuel pump "bump" for half a second but then it stops, the FI light comes on and an FI code appears on the display.
I think I remember people having an issue with the ignition switch in the rain?
Plus, the bike had a very similar problem when I first got it and rode it in the rain/snow for a few hours. But the problem at that time turned out to be the ignition switch wiring harness being completely melted and fused where it ran down to the frame and was being pinched/rubbed by the forks after having been rerouted incorrectly. I fixed it by separating the wires and re-insulating.
I'm feeling the problem is still in the ignition switch or wiring, but I wanted to see if I'm correct in remembering ignition switch issues in the rain?
Suggestions? Thanks!

Got the heart attack over and done with - Prudhoe Bay or Bust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried separating the ignition switch electrical connector?
slane6 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
There was a few people that had dry out or replace the instrument cluster after riding it the rain, on the 2nd gen 650s. It happen to Highwayman on the way back from the last cache gathering.
slane6 likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You need to take off some plastic panels and get into your wiring connectors. WD40 is your friend here. Open, spray, and wipe off any excess.
Somewhere, water has bridged contacts in one of your wiring plugs. Look first at the main connector left of the headstock above the radiator.
Big B, richlandrick and slane6 like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Have you tried separating the ignition switch electrical connector?
I did this, instrument cluster still activates when I reconnect the battery.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
You need to take off some plastic panels and get into your wiring connectors. WD40 is your friend here. Open, spray, and wipe off any excess.
Somewhere, water has bridged contacts in one of your wiring plugs. Look first at the main connector left of the headstock above the radiator.
I've been away from the bike for a while, was getting frustrated. Have pulled a lot of panels, am getting ready to pull this connector. The bike did go down in a river multiple times on both sides so I'm hoping it's just water in the main connector... I would hate to have to replace the instrument cluster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode