new cams = valve check? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
new cams = valve check?

THE RECALL: Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. (Suzuki) is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 SFV650 and AN650A (Burgman), and 2012-2014 DL650A (V-Strom) motorcycles. Contamination from component production and storage combined with manufacturing variations may result in excessive tappet and camshaft wear within the engines of the affected motorcycles.

WHAT COULD HAPPEN: The excessive wear may result in an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

THE FIX: Suzuki will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the tappet clearance, replacing the tappets and camshafts, as necessary. All motorcycles that have less than 2500 miles will have their tappets and camshafts replaced since wear may not be evident. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 1, 2016.

Since my Wee had under 2500 miles, I'm assuming that new tappets and camshafts were installed. That said, can anyone hazard a guess as to whether a valve check would have been part of those new components being installed? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the dealer as yet...

Cheers,

Bendmac/Central Oregon

2013 Wee Adv...

EnduroGuardian bash plate/highway pegs/radiator guard;
AdventureTech LLC peg lowering mounts/mirror extenders/fork brace/shifter relocation kit, 2" extended front brake line;
Saddleman Gel-Channel Tech seat;
Barkbuster Storm hand guards;
Oxford heated grips;
Blue Seas 5025 6 circuit fuse block;
12v weatherproof power port;
Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit;
Cree LED lights;
Signal Dynamics voltage monitor;
Kisan signalMinder
PWD Stebel horn kit;
"Home grown" tool tube;
"Sasquatched" (Adventure Power Sports) rear shock
Madstad bracket and 22" screen
Roadstercycle SH775 R/R upgrade
SW-Motech bar risers
Mr. Ed's Moto custom seat
Superbright LED headlight bulbs and other bulbs converted to LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

NEVER assume anything. Go to a Suzuki dealer with your VIN# and have Service print out a Warranty History Report. Then you'll know for certain if your camshafts have been replaced.
You also wont know if your valve clearances were checked or adjusted unless there is clear documentation to that effect in the Repair Order notes. And even then who know if it was really done, written to say it was done when in fact it wasnt, or if it was done was it done correctly?
Many recalls only apply to a specified range of VIN#s, and/or a production date range.
You can also contact Suzuki Customer Service for the information.
Motorpsychology likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 02:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Look up your VIN here Suzuki Motorcycle Recall

If they replace the cams and/or tappets the valves have to be properly adjusted to spec and is included under warranty. BTW, ask them to record the gaps AND the thickness of the shims installed and give that info to you. If you DIY the valve checks then the next time they need to be adjusted you can order the parts and do the job in a day instead of waiting for parts.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 03-25-2019 at 02:16 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, bendmac, for posting this. I think I haven't heard of this one before.

A new one, I suppose...

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 44K+. Love it!
post #5 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
This an old recall, and YES the dealer is supposed to adjust/check the valves if cams get replaced......but don't bet on it. Dealer is losing money being paid by Suzuki for this, valve "adjustment" is where a dealer can make good money off a patron paying cash. The number of folks here who have valves checked by a dealer and they find "valves in spec".....I call complete bullshit on. Just had mine done by a local very well respected and trusted private motorcycle mechanic, I had 1 front intake tight and 1 rear exhaust tight "19,700 miles". He put ALL clearances to just under the middle spec, he also uses Suzuki and Kawasaki OEM kit race specs over the specs in the service manual, he says the tolerances are much more accurate this way. He is a team Kawasaki factory racer, "flat track, road, and MX" so he knows what he's talking about. He said very few bike valves he checks don't need adjusted, he also says the V-Strom engines are some of the best designed and reliable engines out there.

Yeah I am very skeptical of most dealers doing actual valve inspections and adjustments, it's labor intensive and so easy to screw up. Also have we had a single documented case of a Strom engine grenading due to valve failures? Valves being properly in tolerance will be noticeable in performance and longevity, but these engines are simply hard to kill regardless. The known common failures have been due to dirt getting past the air filter and into the top end, that most certainly is a killer. Local MEGA dealer where I bought my Strom was gonna charge me "$650" just to check my valves, would be an additional "$400" if they needed adjusted. My boy Ryan did it ALL for $220, I gladly handed him $300 cash.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Last edited by Big B; 03-25-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
NEVER assume anything. Go to a Suzuki dealer with your VIN# and have Service print out a Warranty History Report. Then you'll know for certain if your camshafts have been replaced.
You also wont know if your valve clearances were checked or adjusted unless there is clear documentation to that effect in the Repair Order notes. And even then who know if it was really done, written to say it was done when in fact it wasnt, or if it was done was it done correctly?
Many recalls only apply to a specified range of VIN#s, and/or a production date range.
You can also contact Suzuki Customer Service for the information.
What he said.
Just shooting from my hip though, I would doubt that the actual valves were inspected beyond looking at the top of the stems while the cams and shims were out. Inspecting the valve faces would necessitate removing the head(s), which is not required for cam & tappet inspection/ removal

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
... "$650" just to check my valves, would be an additional "$400" if they needed adjusted...
For that price you might as well just wait till the engine blows up and look for a used engine.
Big B likes this.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
This an old recall...
OK. Thanks Brian.

So I suppose this is the "valves" recall we've known about for 2-3 years or so. I should have known that...

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 44K+. Love it!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Work in dealerships long enough you see all kinds of games being played.
Onece I was called in to the office and asked why I adjusted the valves on a Miata I was performing the 60K service on. Valve clearance check/adjustment is called for. I told the service manager that Mazda specifically calls for this check, so I was following the maintenance schedule LIKE I ALWAYS DID.
He tells me nobody else in the shop does that. I suggested he talk to the other techs and let me get back to work.
Then...he tells me that we wont be doing valve adjustments during the suggested service.
I asked him if doing so is considered LYING TO THE CUSTOMER. He had no answer, other than.."You can go back to work now".
So...faced with this conflict, I came up with a resolution to my dilemma: The valve cover had to removed to replace the timing belt(part of the service), so I checked all the valve clearances, and noted all the specs in the back of the repair order. Then it was up to the service advisor to advise the customer, who made the final decision whether to go ahead with the adjustment or not. The customer was quoted a price for the adjustment, and he decided what was to be done, price being the deciding factor.
The cars whose valves were set to spec ran better, stronger, got better gas mileage than those out of spec. I signed all my repair orders, so I COVERED MY ASS. In these days if liability and litigation this is what you have to do.
OR...Ive seen instances where a customer was charged for a part that wasnt replaced, the part was charged out on the repair order, and inventory records were.."Modified" to show that a part was ordered, placed in inventory, sold to the customer, and re-ordered for stock--when nothing took place as written.
Then...a few months later when the manufacturer performed a warranty audit on the dealership and found...discrepancies" all hell broke loose. $100K+ fines, threatened loss of a franchise, you name it.
It pays to be honest, take care of the customer, basically DO THE RIGHT THING.
The cheaters will all eventually lose.
Big B, chicago, Hatchi and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post
OK. Thanks Brian.

So I suppose this is the "valves" recall we've known about for 2-3 years or so. I should have known that...

It's all good.....matter of fact it's good that perhaps this was brought to light of day again.
HokiesRWee likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode