HELP NEEDED Swingarm pivotal bearing removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

HELP NEEDED Swingarm pivotal bearing removal

hi there, I'm stuck with swingarm pivot bearings seazed to the swingarm (the ones holding doggbones and connecting swingarm to the shock linkage). Is there a hole trough the swingarm so I could push those bearings all the way trough? It seems to me there is a base for the bearing in the middle of the swingarm?! In that case what tool I need to get those out please?! I almost managed to nock one out but realised the outer shelve of the bearings is still stuck inside the swingarm. This sucks, any advice greatly appreciated. If I can get them out without removing swingarm, that would be great as I don't have the tool for swingarm removal.

PS: i had a major issue with collapsing linkage, replaced all including the shock and at the same time upgraded the front fork as well. Now almost there and stuck with those bearings. How can I get those out please?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just to add is Dl650 abs 2013

post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Go to a hardware store and get a length of 3/8" NC threaded rod, 2 3/8 washers, and 2 nuts. Piece of threaded rod through the bearing, and a 3/8" socket large enough inside to accept the bushing. Small enough socket on the other side to push against the bearing inside the swingarm bore. Washers and nuts on both side, tighten one while holding the other to pull the bushing out of the swingarm. You can use small sections of pipe instead of a socket, and depending on size, you can use 5/15 or 1/4" threaded rod, washers, and nuts instead.
chicago and petr_nehyba like this.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Go to a hardware store and get a length of 3/8" NC threaded rod, 2 3/8 washers, and 2 nuts. Piece of threaded rod through the bearing, and a 3/8" socket large enough inside to accept the bushing. Small enough socket on the other side to push against the bearing inside the swingarm bore. Washers and nuts on both side, tighten one while holding the other to pull the bushing out of the swingarm. You can use small sections of pipe instead of a socket, and depending on size, you can use 5/15 or 1/4" threaded rod, washers, and nuts instead.
Yes that would be ideal if there would not be a base for the bearing in the swingarm?!I'm not sure but it seems there is a base from what I could see there, also on the picture. That would not allow me to push the bearing trough. Would you know if there is a bearing base? Thanks very much for coming to help. Appreciate that P

post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

2 other alternatives--CAREFULLY Dremel a slot in the bearing, and using an awl, try to collapse the wall you just slotted. Then pull and work the bearing out. Another method--youll need a small slide hammer with an expandable collet on the end proved there is an area behind the bearing for the collet to catch.
Ive had to slot many bearings and bushings. It's time consuming, but it does work. You just want to weaken the wall so that the bearing or bushing can be cracked or collapsed.
petr_nehyba likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
2 other alternatives--CAREFULLY Dremel a slot in the bearing, and using an awl, try to collapse the wall you just slotted. Then pull and work the bearing out. Another method--youll need a small slide hammer with an expandable collet on the end proved there is an area behind the bearing for the collet to catch.
Ive had to slot many bearings and bushings. It's time consuming, but it does work. You just want to weaken the wall so that the bearing or bushing can be cracked or collapsed.
That's a great advice, thank you very much! I'll get the dremel tool and try it that way. Many thanks indeed!! Best wishes P

post #7 of 11 Old 03-18-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

HAPPY to help!
petr_nehyba likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
HAPPY to help!
Victory is cake Dremel thanks again Maz4me!!

chicago, Spec and eff like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

petr, glad it worked out for you!
petr_nehyba likes this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 03-19-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

A simple tool made to get new bearings in. Much better than hammer all sorted now, only can hear her ticking. Pretty sure valve clearance adjustment needed. But won't do that, have had enough for now. Will have to book in to a garage. Thanks again and best wishes P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode