WeeStrom disassembly for maintenance? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By blaustrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
WeeStrom disassembly for maintenance?

Hi-

I've not yet pulled the trigger on getting a Wee but seem to be leaning in that direction. Before I do take the plunge, though, I'd like to get a sense of how much of the bike has to be taken apart when doing routine maintenance tasks. For calibration I'll describe what has to happen on my Honda ST1300, to do nearly anything more extensive than checking tire pressures and adding fuel to the tank:
  1. Remove front engine guard (2 screws, 2 plastic push "clips")
  2. Remove lower fairing panels (left and right, @ 5 hex key bolts and one plastic push rivet in each, plus four body panel joiner clips up front underneath)
  3. Remove inner cowls (left and right, @ 3 clips, 2 push rivets, and one screw each side; right side also involves disconnecting the air temperature sensor)
  4. Remove tip-over guard covers (two sides @ 3 bolts each side)
  5. Bump mirror covers off; disconnect turn signal leads (both sides)
  6. Remove middle cowl panels (2 sides, @ 5 screws, one allen bolt each side.)

NOW the bike is exposed enough to actually start working on whatever it is you are trying to do. Experience has gotten me to the point where I can do this part of the disassembly in 20-25 minutes, but it always takes longer to do in reverse order when reinstalling (and that doesn't count the time spent un-doing and re-doing steps because I forgot to do something else).

What's the analogous bunch of stuff that has to be done on a WeeStrom, before you can begin to do whatever it is you need to do? And are there some tasks that DON'T require a full strip-down treatment?

Thanks-

-= Keith Adams =-
Rockville, MD USA
2004 Honda ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think these links will give you an idea:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=oPW...iz.AXCsz7DSmjI
I would say it will take about half the time compared to your ST, depending which model you get. No biggy. You need to remove the tank to get to the air filter, do valves, change spark plugs etc.

I think it would take me about 10-15 minutes to take the tank off, without haste.

Many electrical items are further back, easy to get to, or under the front, = 5-10 minutes to have access.
slane6 likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

If it's like the older Wee's, it won't need disassembly for much cus it rarely needs messing with.
My understanding is that the newer bike are more difficult to get apart.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
the first time i took the tank off for air filter maintenance i went extremely slow and it took me 20 -25 min .

youtube mechanic is always the way

96 zx6 - sold
01 f4i -sold
02 R6 -sold
10 Gsxr6 - sold
13 dl650A -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode